I will be back in 20 minutes, my razor awaits. I will answer any questions then.

I know this is unfortunately an electric razor, but it's good for thick beards, it has three combs to keep your beard length, it worked for me and it has the razor part too.

STyler2horiz.jpg

Oh dear God, I just died a little inside.
I know this is unfortunately an electric razor, but it's good for thick beards, it has three combs to keep your beard length, it worked for me and it has the razor part too.

STyler2horiz.jpg

Lol, it was a joke, me being a staunch proponent of traditional shaving. I actually don't care if anyone uses something like that, as long as it gives them desired results.
Why? I don't get it.

Awww, wth, I will make a few more showing some basic concepts as well.

Pre-Shave Prep, Lathering a soap, and cleaning your equipment, I think. Might do one for those interested in straight shaving as well.

I will post a video on face prep today, and maybe a soap lathering video, since it requires a different technique.

Okay, face prep video is just going to be too awkward to be worth filming, as I am using a phone to make these, so I will describe a couple methods that are very popular, in order from most effective to least effective (in my opinion).

1. Shower. The heat and moisture from a good shower is the absolute best prep you can do. Make sure to wash your face with a clean rinsing, mild soap. I love Dove Beauty Bars (yup, the ones your wives use) as they are non-drying and do a great job of removing just enough oil. I would recommend exfoliating while in the shower as well, but it is not necessary, or appropriate for some skin types. Shave immediately afterwards.

2. Soap/cream soak. The point of the high end soaps and creams is that they draw oil and dirt away from the hair, softening and raising it, ready to be cut. If you are in a hurry, or have already showered that day, but not shaved, this is the next best thing. Build a thick, slick lather and apply to face as if you were going to shave, splashing hot water on the face beforehand. The hot water is ESSENTIAL. Now, let this sit for a minute or two. I don't care what you do, take a dump, clean your ears, enjoy a cup of coffee, but whatever you do, let it sit for at least a minute. Wipe off the lather with a warm, wet towel and apply more water and lather, and shave immediately. Please not that this has the potential to dry out some skin types. You have been warned.

3. Hot towel. This is probably the most common method, but it lacks the effectiveness of the above methods. It simply involves placing a hot, wet towel around your face for a few minutes. This can, however, be combined with the soap/cream soak method to GREAT effectiveness, though it is a little messy.

Finally, here is the soap lathering video I promised:

Took my first foray into shaving with a DE razor tonight. Wasnt a total failure. No cuts but the shave wasnt very close. I made 3 passes and it still wasnt close enough and my face was getting irritated. Finished it off with the old fusion razor. The fact I didnt cut myself is a plus. Baby steps.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I believe it took me about 10-15 shaves to get the hang of a straight. Experiment with your angle.
Took my first foray into shaving with a DE razor tonight. Wasnt a total failure. No cuts but the shave wasnt very close. I made 3 passes and it still wasnt close enough and my face was getting irritated. Finished it off with the old fusion razor. The fact I didnt cut myself is a plus. Baby steps.

Tap Tap Taparoo

/Thread resurrection

I have a REAL problem with shaving my neck. I still use an antiquated Gillette M3 Power circa 2004 and have yet to upgrade to a fusion or any of these more classic methods. My neck poses tons of problems as the only way I can get a smooth shave is if I run against the grain. Going with or across the grain results in those little wiry hairs laughing at me until I go against them, and then they still get the last laugh by making me look like my neck is about to explode after a few hours. What can be done about this, other than hitting up the DE razors? Or do I have to invest in some fancy razors? I'd rather not look like a pre-pubescent boy when I start meeting my firm's clients in the fall.

/Thread resurrection

I have a REAL problem with shaving my neck. I still use an antiquated Gillette M3 Power circa 2004 and have yet to upgrade to a fusion or any of these more classic methods. My neck poses tons of problems as the only way I can get a smooth shave is if I run against the grain. Going with or across the grain results in those little wiry hairs laughing at me until I go against them, and then they still get the last laugh by making me look like my neck is about to explode after a few hours. What can be done about this, other than hitting up the DE razors? Or do I have to invest in some fancy razors? I'd rather not look like a pre-pubescent boy when I start meeting my firm's clients in the fall.

I haven't shaved in at least twenty years. I take the guard off my trimmer, like getting your neck shaved during a haircut, and that's that. As a steelworker with blond/red facial hair this works just fine for me.

/Thread resurrection

The problem is not necessarily with the razor, it's probably more of prep, cream, and after-shave moisturizer. check out www.theartofshaving.com and look into the pre-shave oil... worth every penny!

/Thread resurrection

The problem is not necessarily with the razor, it's probably more of prep, cream, and after-shave moisturizer. check out www.theartofshaving.com and look into the pre-shave oil... worth every penny!

I agree that the problem might not be with the razor. Before you spend money on more products though, try the old faithful steamed towel.

This is a great preshave preparation step.

Fill your sink with the hottest water that you can stand. Soak a washcloth in it until it's hot through and through (not just long enough to pick up some water). Squeeze out just enough water so that it won't drip everywhere, and then hold that against your neck for a few minutes. If the cloth feels like it's cooling down, resoak and reapply. Keep this up for 5 minutes or so.

Do not towel dry at this point, go straight to applying the shaving cream.

The heat and moisture will soften the hairs and make them easier for the razor to cut. After that, try a two pass shave. Your first pass should be with the grain, using low pressure. Don't go over the same spot several times if you can help it, remember that you still have another pass. Resoak your washcloth from before, and gently wipe away any remaining shaving cream, leaving your face wet. Relather with shaving cream. Make your second pass against the grain. Again, use low pressure and try to avoid the multiple strokes over the same area that is common with cartridge shavers.

Drain your sink and use the coldest water that you can handle to rinse your face.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give those a go when I shave next.
My hair takes awhile to grow back and has some weird graining to it... to shave with the grain, I'm actually shaving up from my adam's apple, towards my ear if that makes any sense.

Back