PGA Tour Pros in Shorts?

For anyone to argue that pants are professional, all you have to do is google images of Ian Poulter. His look is anything but "professional".

For anyone to argue that pants are professional, all you have to do is google images of Ian Poulter. His look is anything but "professional".

6a00d83451b84f69e20134841ee063970c-600wi

This guy agrees

Dry heat, I'd wear slacks.

I just can't do it in the humidity here.

When I was stationed at Luke AFB in Phoenix, I'd stay in my long sleeve uniform top until it got to about 105 before it became too much. Sadly, 105 is nothing on that aircraft ramp, where temps easily get to 130+. (We hit ramp temps of 148 in Kuwait once.)
There is definitely something to keeping that sun off your skin. In the early spring and summer I would have a tan from the neck up and on my hands. Everything else was covered, and white. I looked weird.

Did anyone see Streelman with Holly on GC last night?? Was he seriously wearing jean shorts?

That's one opinion.

The problem with allowing shorts is that if some people do wear them and some don't, there is a lack of uniformity on the tour.

At least when it's hot everyone struggles and when it's cold everyone struggles all the same.

The problem with allowing shorts is that if some people do wear them and some don't, there is a lack of uniformity on the tour.

At least when it's hot everyone struggles and when it's cold everyone struggles all the same.

But if they're given the option then wearing what is most beneficial is their responsibility. A player can choose to wear long sleeves right now and he would struggle with the heat more than a guy in short sleeves, but it was his choice.

I will say that it would look a little weird, though GMAC and Streelman looked pretty cool on Playing Lessons.

I will say that it would look a little weird, though GMAC and Streelman looked pretty cool on Playing Lessons.

It will look weird for a few weeks. Just like all the old timers thought itd look weird not golfing in a shirt and tie.

Like a new haircut. Honestly, I don't care either way. If they want to pants it up they can have at it. Anywhere north of 60° and I'm putting on some short pants.

I've got no problem with pros wearing shorts.

I see this as a marketing issue. The "tour" should decide what's best for the tour.

I do not like the flat bill hats but someone thinks the younger people do and so some players wear them.

I applaud the Yankees (and I'm a Sox fan) for requiring their players to be well groomed. I wish they required players to show some of the sox under their pants too but that's not going to happen.

I like the look of the slacks.

That's me too...except it's closer to 11 months a year down here...LOL

That's just not right! I only get to wear shorts about 5 months. I think its time to move!!!!

Why not go back to long sleeve shirts and ties or better yet tweed suits with knickers. The women can go back to long skirts. The game of golf is evolving and has been. It seems we are ok with 300 plus drives as the norm but guys want to me comfortable in shorts and its an issue.

They should be allowed to wear shorts. To have a rule against shorts is just stupid! If some pros want to wear pants instead, okay. The PGA reluctantly allowed caddies to wear shorts when Tiger got mad about hot weather, heavy bags and worn out caddie (Stevie at the time).

To not allow shorts is flirting with hear prostration. Just remember Ken Venturi at the '64 Open. I'm sure there are many, many pros who have come close to collapsing in very hot conditions.

Let them wear what they want as long they are comfortable

Let them wear what they want as long they are comfortable

I agree! Although it is a "gentleman's game", sometimes common sense needs to be factored in. Heat indexes in the south often reach 110+ during the summer months, that's just asking for some trouble.

I hope everyone has seen this awesome commercial from Ashworth.

Originally Posted by Chunkylover77
"Not really sure why wearing shorts would be considered unprofessional. I would rather see some hairy legs instead of swamp ass"

Exactly. Spoken like a true Team Hacker supporter. Making sense all over the forum.

Word. Sounds legit to me.

Those golfing shorts are pretty fancy anyway...aren't they just half pants anyway?? :confused2:

I like it. Reaching deep for one of my better posts!

Damn well said
Why not go back to long sleeve shirts and ties or better yet tweed suits with knickers. The women can go back to long skirts. The game of golf is evolving and has been. It seems we are ok with 300 plus drives as the norm but guys want to me comfortable in shorts and its an issue.

Fine by me. Sounds eminently sensible. :thumb:

Not really sure why wearing shorts would be considered unprofessional. I would rather see some hairy legs instead of swamp ass

Swamp ass is the worst! And nothing smells worse or feels dirtier than a swamp ass fart! Hahaha

I view the slacks as part of their "uniform." When the NFL or MLB adopts shorts, I'll be interested in having the same conversation for the PGA. :wink:

I view the slacks as part of their "uniform." When the NFL or MLB adopts shorts, I'll be interested in having the same conversation for the PGA. :wink:

Not really a valid argument there (unless you're not being serious.)

The NFL has to wear pants. The knee pads are extremely important and totally unsafe without them.

In the MLB guys couldn't slide in shorts. They would tear up their legs.

What purpose to pants play to a golfer?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back