So im a highish handicapper that played blades for the first time today.

I know what hes saying, i just disagree that something more forgiving helps someone become better.
Disagree all you want but in the end, youre wrong. A slight mishit with a CB is more accurate than one with a blade, sorry but it is. The CB has things like COG and MOI in its favor and physics dont change no matter what your opinion on the matter is.
If you like blades, thats cool but dont kid yourself into thinking that you cant become a great player with CBs. Theres many, many very good players who made a very nice living at this game playing CBs.

I've had the similar background when it comes to being a high handicapper using blades. Using blades, your mishits has to be minimal to none. I went from a big ol fatty TM Burner Plus to Titleist .690mbs and I was a 20 handicapper. I struggled with them for a month or two but I really practiced hard with em and didn't give up. I really concentrated on hitting as well as I can and I've gotten a better. So I agree that it will help you become a better ball striker to a point.
Don't listen to people when it comes to this. Do whatever will make you better and you feel comfortable with. This society we live in, people worry so much about what "OTHER" people are doing and their opinions but it all comes down to YOU.
One day I played a round with my blades, I was paired up with a Father and a son. The son was a better player but just snooty as they come. Making comments to his dad about how I shouldn't use blades and I'm not a smart guy. I heard these comments for good 7-8 holes. So I finally asked him, "Why does it bother him so much what I AM using? Does it make any difference to his game what I AM using?" He didn't have a response.
Yes, this thread will help you gather some information but don't let any of us influence you. It's not about Right or Wrong. It's about what make you better.

I've had the similar background when it comes to being a high handicapper using blades. Using blades, your mishits has to be minimal to none. I went from a big ol fatty TM Burner Plus to Titleist .690mbs and I was a 20 handicapper. I struggled with them for a month or two but I really practiced hard with em and didn't give up. I really concentrated on hitting as well as I can and I've gotten a better. So I agree that it will help you become a better ball striker to a point.
Don't listen to people when it comes to this. Do whatever will make you better and you feel comfortable with. This society we live in, people worry so much about what "OTHER" people are doing and their opinions but it all comes down to YOU.
One day I played a round with my blades, I was paired up with a Father and a son. The son was a better player but just snooty as they come. Making comments to his dad about how I shouldn't use blades and I'm not a smart guy. I heard these comments for good 7-8 holes. So I finally asked him, "Why does it bother him so much what I AM using? Does it make any difference to his game what I AM using?" He didn't have a response.
Yes, this thread will help you gather some information but don't let any of us influence you. It's not about Right or Wrong. It's about what make you better.

I think most in this thread have said over and over again to play what you want.
As to what does someone care? They shouldnt, but someone missing far worse could in theory slow down a round. Does it happen? Heck I dont know and dont care enough to worry about it, but it certainly could happen. We have seen a whole lot of bad golf shots in our day. Would playing a properly fitting club for ones game make those shots less bad? Maybe.

I think most in this thread have said over and over again to play what you want.
As to what does someone care? They shouldnt, but someone missing far worse could in theory slow down a round. Does it happen? Heck I dont know and dont care enough to worry about it, but it certainly could happen. We have seen a whole lot of bad golf shots in our day. Would playing a properly fitting club for ones game make those shots less bad? Maybe.

Oh yeah. Getting properly fitted is the important part. There are irons out there can make his game better versus using his blades. But to each his own I guess.
I just hate to see people getting critized for using what they like even if they're blades. I got critized for using my blades and it got old after awhile. That's all!

I would venture to say that practicing really hard, not giving up, and concentrating on hitting the ball as well as you can will most likely produce positive results regardless of what style of club is in your hand.

Oh yeah. Getting properly fitted is the important part. There are irons out there can make his game better versus using his blades. But to each his own I guess.
I just hate to see people getting critized for using what they like even if they're blades. I got critized for using my blades and it got old after awhile. That's all!

I agree completely and do not think anybody should criticize for using what they want. its their life, their game, etc. I think when a thread like this pops up, its just as important to respect people's opinions as it is to make sure proper facts are being displayed. I think most did a decent job of that in this one (most).

I agree completely and do not think anybody should criticize for using what they want. its their life, their game, etc. I think when a thread like this pops up, its just as important to respect people's opinions as it is to make sure proper facts are being displayed. I think most did a decent job of that in this one (most).

Agreed. Opinions are accepted and respected. Even the negative ones. I wasnt pin pointing at someone specifically. I just had a bad experience with my blades when I had them. Just hoping AJ don't go through the same.

I would venture to say that practicing really hard, not giving up, and concentrating on hitting the ball as well as you can will most likely produce positive results regardless of what style of club is in your hand.

It was soooo frustrating though. Days of practice without improvements with blades... I was losing patience fast.
But being persistent with my blades made me better. If that's the route that AJcoop wants to take then, be patient and practice hard my friend. If you're not getting any better, there are plenty of other great irons out there can help you out.

It was soooo frustrating though. Days of practice without improvements with blades... I was losing patience fast.
But being persistent with my blades made me better. If that's the route that AJcoop wants to take then, be patient and practice hard my friend. If you're not getting any better, there are plenty of other great irons out there can help you out.

This phenomenon of persistence and hard work paying off is still not exclusive to what type of iron is in your hand.

This thread really makes me want blades. Last time I hit blades, I hit the center of the face much more often than I do with my current irons. But I'm weird like that.

This thread really makes me want blades. Last time I hit blades, I hit the center of the face much more often than I do with my current irons. But I'm weird like that.

You should do it. In fact you should do it for the New England Invitational.

All blades are fun when you find the center of the face. It's when you miss the center of the face the frowning starts.

Or, the blades were different specs than your current irons and they fit you better.

You should do it. In fact you should do it for the New England Invitational.

If I would I could.

Not sure why but I have more fun playing blades than GI irons. Maybe because it makes me feel like a pro.

If I would I could.

Not sure why but I have more fun playing blades than GI irons. Maybe because it makes me feel like a pro.

Even though more pros use cavity back? :D
Certainly one of your local courses that you play at would loan you a set of blades for a single round of golf.

Even though more pros use cavity back? :D
Certainly one of your local courses that you play at would loan you a set of blades for a single round of golf.

Maybe because it makes me feel like Phil. The courses I regularly play don't have clubs in the pro shops because they're little 9 holers that cost like $7 on a weekday. Plus, finding blades in LH is not easy. Not sure I've ever seen them in a pro shop.

Maybe because it makes me feel like Phil. The courses I regularly play don't have clubs in the pro shops because they're little 9 holers that cost like $7 on a weekday. Plus, finding blades in LH is not easy. Not sure I've ever seen them in a pro shop.

Craigslist or a used sporting goods store might be your best bet.

Is it weird I have no interest in blades? I need some help behind the ball and I have no trouble admitting that

like the original poster, i have competed in sports at a high level. i consider my self and excellent athlete. i started with GI irons and love them. they showed me what golf was all about. i have been playing for less then a year and im already in the mid to low 80's(no mulligans:act-up:). i have hit a golf ball everyday since i have started golfing. wether it be chipping, putting or full swings. i have worked my tail off. i now game nike forged split cavities 3-PW and they are not nearly as forgiving and my old GI's. they arent even blades! and thats okay, i am planning on buying blades sometime this summer, just to learn how to hit them. i can hit a blade solid and straight. but i want to truly learn how to hit them. i know what im getting my self into.

To Ajcoop20, its nice to flush a blade i can do it with ease. shoot, i can flush a blade 3 iron off the deck with ease. but blades are for good players for other reasons then hitting it straight. can you shape a consistant fade or draw with your blades? can you flight them low or high?
can you get the 4 and 3 iron high enough to have considerable distance? because a 5 iron is usless, if you cant get it off the ground high enough to put it in a decent position.. there is more to playing a blade then just being able to flush it. if you choose to play blades then good for you. but your argument about why YOU perfer a blade of GI is irrelevant. because like i said if you cant use a blade for what its really for, then you stripping a blade straight down the fair way is the same as stripping a GI straight down the fair way. the center of the club is the same on all irons. its just what you can do with that iron that makes a difference.

Craigslist or a used sporting goods store might be your best bet.

Is it weird I have no interest in blades? I need some help behind the ball and I have no trouble admitting that

No masochistic tendencies at all huh? It's ok, blades don't bite. Well, they might nip a little until they know you better.:alien:

I'm probably as shallow as they come when it comes to irons. I played my Anser's because I liked how they looked. I was lured away by my MP-60s and now I'm dabbling with my MP-67s. I'm fortunate in that my results have been basically the same with all three (kinda hard to mess up short & straight). I, like the OP, enjoy the little something extra it takes to play this style of iron. Plus they are just so good looking.

Conversely, I bought my wife an all hybrid set for her to learn on. I wanted to limit the frustration, as much as possible, by having her take lessons and playing a style of club that makes it fairly easy to advance the ball. If/when she becomes hooked on the game and she decides she wants different irons she will have a basis upon which to make a decision. Right now, like most beginners/high handicappers, she doesn't know what she doesn't know. She has no clue why the ball reacts the way it does from a specific lie, nor does she care as long as the ball moves toward the hole.

Quick question:
How much of the blade controversy is actually about the social expectations we have as golfers? I see it as being similar to the high handicappers using staff bags issue that has been discussed on here. Oh, and for the record I obviously don't mind high handicappers using "players" irons but staff bags, no way.

Quick question:
How much of the blade controversy is actually about the social expectations we have as golfers? I see it as being similar to the high handicappers using staff bags issue that has been discussed on here. Oh, and for the record I obviously don't mind high handicappers using "players" irons but staff bags, no way.

[/COLOR]

I would say about the same amount that are playing blades for social issues.

Would you agree that what might work for you may not work me? If you do, then that's really all that needs to be said in regards to acknowledging that I might need a more forgiving club to help me improve, even though you feel you don't.

ABSOLUTELY ive said many times in this thread that just cause it works for me doesnt mean it will work for everyone. I approach the game with a differnt mental attitude than probably a lot of people with my handicap do

like the original poster, i have competed in sports at a high level. i consider my self and excellent athlete. i started with GI irons and love them. they showed me what golf was all about. i have been playing for less then a year and im already in the mid to low 80's(no mulligans:act-up:). i have hit a golf ball everyday since i have started golfing. wether it be chipping, putting or full swings. i have worked my tail off. i now game nike forged split cavities 3-PW and they are not nearly as forgiving and my old GI's. they arent even blades! and thats okay, i am planning on buying blades sometime this summer, just to learn how to hit them. i can hit a blade solid and straight. but i want to truly learn how to hit them. i know what im getting my self into.

To Ajcoop20, its nice to flush a blade i can do it with ease. shoot, i can flush a blade 3 iron off the deck with ease. but blades are for good players for other reasons then hitting it straight. can you shape a consistant fade or draw with your blades? can you flight them low or high?
can you get the 4 and 3 iron high enough to have considerable distance? because a 5 iron is usless, if you cant get it off the ground high enough to put it in a decent position.. there is more to playing a blade then just being able to flush it. if you choose to play blades then good for you. but your argument about why YOU perfer a blade of GI is irrelevant. because like i said if you cant use a blade for what its really for, then you stripping a blade straight down the fair way is the same as stripping a GI straight down the fair way. the center of the club is the same on all irons. its just what you can do with that iron that makes a difference.

I can hit the 3 and 4 iron 225 and 215. As far as shaping shots, obviously im not a pro, but i can move the ball left and right by take a stronger or weaker grip. As far as trajectory goes, I dont have that down yet, my normal ball flight with irons is high because i hit down on the ball, I can keep a ball low if i need to by not releasing my hands, but im not very proficient in that respect. side note, shot 43 today on the second hardest county course we have today. 130 / 72.0 with the MP-67s maybe its just the confidence i have in them vs my cg-7s i dunno. they work for me though. Am i doing something i couldnt do with a cavity back like a j-40 or a ap2 or something, probably not, but i couldnt find a set of them for 165$ either :-D

I would say about the same amount that are playing blades for social issues.

Not being as close to the industry as you, I still thought there would be a correlation. Thanks for the confirmation.

If you're speaking of a left or right ball flight, I really feel like most amateurs shouldn't be worried about too many different shot shapes when they can barely hit one shape consistently.

Yes, obviously that's what I was talking about. I don't know about most amatuers, but I'm an amateur and I'm very concerned about shot shape. I need to know 2 things - where is the ball going (including the shape) if I hit it well and where is it likely to go if I don't. As a golfer at any level if you can answer those questions with reasonable certainty you're going to be in pretty good shape.

Back