NHL 2012-2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBJ sucking harder? That's not going to be difficult for them. They're used to it.

Wow. Stay Classy. You must have missed the part where Columbus lost out on the playoffs on a technicality despite being suggested to only win 10 games. They've also only ever picked 1st once (Nash, the douche), and have only picked 2nd once (Murray, last year). They have come nowhere close to sucking hard enough to generate a Crosby or a Toews.

But enjoy the good years in Chicago too. It's not like they weren't a trainwreck half a decade ago.. Oh wait..

Wow. Stay Classy. You must have missed the part where Columbus lost out on the playoffs on a technicality despite being suggested to only win 10 games.

But enjoy the good years in Chicago too. It's not like they weren't a trainwreck half a decade ago.. Oh wait..

Dan, you know I'm just messing around right?

Yeah, my poor dad had to endure the years of the terrible Blackhawks.

I don't think the Wings will stand much of a chance against the Kings. Too big, too physical, equal talent, more depth, and Quick. I think Columbus fans will be very happy for a long time to come. I really really want to see them trade up for Drouin.

I'm sorry your GM is not a genius.

The Pens won the lottery to draft arguably the greatest player since 99. Some genius that is. I call it common sense myself.

I don't think the Wings will stand much of a chance against the Kings. Too big, too physical, equal talent, more depth, and Quick. I think Columbus fans will be very happy for a long time to come. I really really want to see them trade up for Drouin.

hahaha it's a good thing the Wings lost and it's Chicago against LA then!! Zing?

Thanks for the thoughts on Columbus.. These fans have been through a lot, and stuck out a lot of bad, lazy years.. Hopefully the best is on the horizon.

The Pens won the lottery to draft arguably the greatest player since 99. Some genius that is. I call it common sense myself.

Yeah. Shero hasn't made phenomenal deals at the trade deadlines lately either. Nope, not at all.

I'm not dumb enough to think him taking Sid took any kind of intellect.

Yeah. Shero hasn't made phenomenal deals at the trade deadlines lately either. Nope, not at all.

I'm not dumb enough to think him taking Sid took any kind of intellect.

It's easy to acquire big talent when you already have big talent. Both Iggy and Morrow picked where they wanted to play. Some greatness that is.

I will call him an above average GM, but far from great.

It's easy to acquire big talent when you already have big talent. Both Iggy and Morrow picked where they wanted to play. Some greatness that is.

I will call him an above average GM, but far from great.

This is basically what I was saying. It's one thing to start from nothing, it's another to get it gifted to you in the draft.. Not too hard to convince guys to come play for Sid.

Not saying Shero is an incompetent, I'm just saying it's a totally different scenario.

This is basically what I was saying. It's one thing to start from nothing, it's another to get it gifted to you in the draft.. Not too hard to convince guys to come play for Sid.

Not saying Shero is an incompetent, I'm just saying it's a totally different scenario.

You don't just ask those players to come play with Sid. You still have to make a deal. Shero gets guys for pennies on the dollar. I think what he traded for Iginla, Morrow, and Murray was genius.

All three of them hit UFA status after this season. Calgary, San Jose and Dallas all knew that either they take those trades or those players walk for nothing at the end of the season.

Iggy was a little different. The Flames ownership has a lot of respect for him and wanted to him to go play where he wanted to. It would have been like dealing with a 2-year.

You don't just ask those players to come play with Sid. You still have to make a deal. Shero gets guys for pennies on the dollar. I think what he traded for Iginla, Morrow, and Murray was genius.

It's not all that at all.. Pretty sure when Iggy got traded, CGY got a better deal from Boston and he selected Pitt. Pretty sure when you sign the greatest player currently in the NHL to a hometown discount, it is more him than you... I can bet Crosby had a blank check to work with, and went the 8.7 route.

It's a variety of things that have made Shero's job a ton easier. Not saying he's not competent, just saying he's been handed some incredible tools.

Shero traded Alex Goligoski for James Neal and Matt Niskanen.

End of discussion.

Some funny stuff right there.

hahaha one trade. HE SHOULD BE PRESIDENT OF EVERYTHING!!!!

There was also the trade for Hossa and Duper. That was a pretty good one.

Think there is a point being missed here. We never said he wasn't good. We just said that he had a lot of things already in place for when he arrived in 2006 to make things easier.

I would still never call him a great GM.

There was also the trade for Hossa and Duper. That was a pretty good one.

They gave a ton away for Hossa, a rental, who didn't stay after that year. Most teams can't afford to throw away assets and first round picks for playoff monsters.

They gave a ton away for Hossa, a rental, who didn't stay after that year. Most teams can't afford to throw away assets and first round picks for playoff monsters.

But just think, how many teams has Hossa been with? The dude changes teams every year I feel like.

It's silly to say he's just an above-average GM.

Yes, one trade. He traded a very average defenseman for one of the best snipers in the league and a defenseman that has been better than Goligoski. He traded a bag of pucks for Hossa and Dupuis. Hossa left, sure, but Dupuis has been incredible (and he was a toss-in at the time).

He has filled out this lineup with tough, gritty players. The Penguins were not a tough team to play against the past few years. They're a tough team to play against now. He has managed to keep all of his stars happy and recognized that the time had come to trade Staal (and received tremendous value for him).

Shero is a very intelligent GM. He recognizes that young, puck-moving defensemen are the hottest commodity on the trade market these days. So what does he do? Stockpiles young, puck-moving defenseman. The Penguins system has a ton of them. Shero is able to make these trades because he had the foresight to stockpile the right type of assets.

Shero didn't draft Crosby. He didn't draft Malkin. He did stumble into a wealth of talent. Definitely. However, he has managed that talent beautifully and has made some tremendous moves to bolster the roster.

Think there is a point being missed here. We never said he wasn't good. We just said that he had a lot of things already in place for when he arrived in 2006 to make things easier.

I would still never call him a great GM.
I get the feel that you'd never call him "great" just solely based on your distaste of the Penguins haha. Accurate or no?
Don't get me wrong, we're very lucky here in Pittsburgh. But I think the man just has a sense about what players will do well in this system. I also don't agree with the Goligoski trade being the "end of discussion." That just happened to work out well because Malkin and Neal were great together. Matty still doesn't impress me.

It's silly to say he's just an above-average GM.

Yes, one trade. He traded a very average defenseman for one of the best snipers in the league and a defenseman that has been better than Goligoski. He traded a bag of pucks for Hossa and Dupuis. Hossa left, sure, but Dupuis has been incredible (and he was a toss-in at the time).

He has filled out this lineup with tough, gritty players. The Penguins were not a tough team to play against the past few years. They're a tough team to play against now. He has managed to keep all of his stars happy and recognized that the time had come to trade Staal (and received tremendous value for him).

Shero is a very intelligent GM. He recognizes that young, puck-moving defensemen are the hottest commodity on the trade market these days. So what does he do? Stockpiles young, puck-moving defenseman. The Penguins system has a ton of them. Shero is able to make these trades because he had the foresight to stockpile the right type of assets.

Shero didn't draft Crosby. He didn't draft Malkin. He did stumble into a wealth of talent. Definitely. However, he has managed that talent beautifully and has made some tremendous moves to bolster the roster.

Didn't say he didn't do well in the that field, just that it's a little easier to do when you have that much talent already on tap.

The puck moving defence argument is one I will leave alone as I highly disagree that they are the way to go.

On top of that, you can add Dupuis in, but he was never meant to be the pillar of that trade. 15 points in 62 games that season for Atlanta before coming over.

He's scoring right now, and that's great, but I'm betting it's a product of his environment. Who's he on a line with? No coincidence with his shooting percentage at an all time high, and I'm sure mine would be too playing in the middle of that roster hahaha!

Good luck convincing him, after a 25 and a 20 goal season that he's only worth 1.5 million still. 25 other teams would (have to) pay 4-5 million for that kind of production.

Like Ghost said, it's not that we think Shero is a bad GM, he's just gotten a ton of help that most teams haven't.

I get the feel that you'd never call him "great" just solely based on your distaste of the Penguins haha. Accurate or no?

Don't get me wrong, we're very lucky here in Pittsburgh. But I think the man just has a sense about what players will do well in this system. I also don't agree with the Goligoski trade being the "end of discussion." That just happened to work out well because Malkin and Neal were great together. Matty still doesn't impress me.

I don't dislike the Pens. In fact I tend to cheer for them in the Playoffs. I mean every time they win I get to see the Cup when Sid brings it home.

Wait, huh?

Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito, and a first round pick for Hossa and Dupuis.

Christensen is out of the NHL. Esposito never made it to the NHL. Colby Armstong is, well, Colby Armstrong. That first round pick ended up being 29th. The Thrashers selected Daultan Leveille. He has yet to play in the NHL.

Dupuis alone has obviously been a million times better than anything the Penguins gave up in that trade.

Didn't say he didn't do well in the that field, just that it's a little easier to do when you have that much talent already on tap.

The puck moving defence argument is one I will leave alone as I highly disagree that they are the way to go.

You may disagree that they're the way to go but NHL GM's sure do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back