Aerotech SteelFiber Shaft Thread

It should feel that way, the driver SS recommendations for these:

Screenshot_1-2_zps58736494.jpg

These things are STOUT.

That's why I went regular flex!

Mine should be here this afternoon!! I am going straight to the course!

These things are STOUT.

Yep. I must of been sallying my swing for a few days. Ballstriking is better with a more aggressive cut

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's why I went regular flex!

Mine should be here this afternoon!! I am going straight to the course!

Smart man! That's what I would go as well.

These things are STOUT.

They are and my club head speed is right in between the stiff and xstiff in the 110's. I hit Zenger's X's in Ohio and really feel I could game the X's. I need to demo them and see how the stiff and x compare for me.

Every swing is different, no doubt, but I think the fact that Kuch and Sneds play S's in the i95's speaks volumes myself. But, we are def all different in this game.

Every swing is different, no doubt, but I think the fact that Kuch and Sneds play S's in the i95's speaks volumes myself. But, we are def all different in this game.

Agreed Jman!

I'm playing 105g tx flighted in the ci11's now and not sure I want to go lighter in the shaft as I'm not a light shaft fan. I know tons of guys here like the lighter shafts, but I don't care for the feel.

My average swing speed when I got fitted for driver was 105-108 with a few north of 113. I've smoothed out my transition so it's not quite as violent as it was and feel its gotten me a couple mph's as I'm hitting further.

Aerotechs in da house! Cannot wait to start swinging them. May need to wait until the weekend as I have blisters all over my fingers

Looky what showed up today!!

IMG_0290_zps7f2ac8ac.jpg

IMG_0292_zps8e31f06c.jpg

I couldn't resist...UPS guy left them here at 5pm and I was on the first tee box at 5:30 after unboxing and taking pics!

So far I really love these shafts....nice smooth action and the ball just seems to explode off the face. Slightly lower launching than my Project X shafts and that's a good thing!!

First shot I hit was a 9 iron from 128....nice mid high flight with a slight draw and I stuck it to about 5 feet!

Cant wait to hit the course tomorrow!!

image_zps5eea6178.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Boy did they feel great again today. I'm dying to get them out there on the course and of course I was already to go play a noon dogfight with a bunch of buddies tomorrow. But NOOO, my little sister is graduating high school at 11 and then the family is having a party at their house and I have to attend I'm afraid. I think I will be ducking out early for a 3:00 tee time. Been a long time since I've been this excited to play. After hitting another 150 or so balls it almost feels like I'm cheating or maybe dreaming. I've never hit so many solid pure shafts. They just ooze confidence. Even the 3 and 4 irons felt great and I can't hit a 3 iron.

So I put the SteelFiber i95 6 iron in the bag today instead of the stock. Hit about 5 shots on the range and 2 on the course. On the range, all 5 were great shots. On the course, the first shot I chunked on a par 3. This had nothing to do with the shaft and everything to do with my awful swing. The second shot I had with this club was from the fairway and I hit a real solid shot. I may have been little misaligned, not sure but I hit a perfect trajectory 6 iron that started off at the right side of the green and didn't move a foot. Was still on the green and was happy with the distance.

I know I'm on the extreme low side of using stiff shafts for these but they don't feel too stiff. They do feel stiffer than the KBS 90's but still have a smooth feeling. I'm going to do a head to head with the KBS 90 this week at a range that is very easy to read distances. I'll be curious to see how these compare distance wise.

Aerotech Steelfiber i95r review, Part DEUX (On the Range)

I meant to have part 2 up sooner, but you can thank the last 2 weeks of almost daily thunderstorms for the delay and for my general sour mood having to stare at these clubs and not hit them. I had also completely forgotten how to hit a golf ball the few times I've gone to the range in between storms. It was Tin Cup out there... a danger to myself and others on the range. Anyway, with a number of productive range sessions under my belt, here's the epic sequel to my i95 review:

6-9 irons

Mizuno 825 pros

Distance: Compared to Nippon 950s, True Temper s300, and KBS 90, the i95's compare favorably in distance. Of course, some of those shafts were different weights so it isn't exactly apples to apples. I was getting better distance with the i95 over everything except for the Nippon 950s, where it's the same. Not so coincidently, I was fitted into both of those shafts (Part 1). As such, I was getting good spin on the ball for a stable ball flight and reliable distance. On the range, I was doing a little better in distance than the simulator. Whether it was due to the fitting or the shaft, the i95 gave me my best distances along with the Nippon 950.

I have to stress the importance of fitting here. I tested heavier shafts which gave less than optimal spin and shorter distances. My previous gamers were lighter and while swing speed was higher, I was spinning those too much causing higher than wanted trajectory and distance loss. As much as the quality of the i95's, the key to getting those distances was a proper fitting.

Ball Flight/Trajectory: The i95's are billed as mid flight shafts and they perform exactly as such. The bend point on the R flex is mid with it going higher in stiffer flexes. Even in regular flex I didn't feel a major shaft load. The end result is a consistent strong mid ball flight even in wind. It made for dialing in distances and flighting the ball easy to do.

Consistency: You get a shaft every bit as consistent as any iron shaft. Dispersion is just as tight if not tighter than anything else I've tested. Normal stigmas about graphite shafts don't apply here. Same swings will net you the same results, no question.

Workability: For all you fancy pants that think just 1 shot shape won't do, this shaft will allow you to work the ball to your heart's content. When I want a cut, I adjust my stance a bit and ball position and the ball cuts. Same with draws. This is not a shaft that "wants" to hit it somewhere. If you want to knock it down, just do it like you always do. It is every bit a player's shaft that will allow you to do what your swing tells it to do.

Feel: As a wise man once said, "Don't think, FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!" If you're a big feel player you may have concerns that the i95 or other steelfibers won't give you the response you want. Let me assure you that they do have some shot feedback. I have hit a graphite only shaft next to the steelfibers and the difference is significant. If you use an iron head with some feel to it, you will still feel it with the steelfibers. I have them in some Mizuno 825 pros and I can feel my off-center hits (thins, toes, heels, whatever) to a degree. They certainly have a shock absorbing quality to them, making them nice for people with hand and joint issues, but they won't complete kill the feedback from your hits. Really bad hits felt obvious, while slightly off center hits still registered if I paid attention. In sum, they are hand savers while providing me with some feedback.

PW-LW

Mizuno 825 pros PW and 50* AW along with 588 RTX wedges at 54* and 58*

To preface, I'm not sure how my impressions on i95 shafted wedges will be all that helpful. The i95 does not come in a wedge specific variant and I would still use the same shaft as my irons even if I had the choice.

Full Swings: I'm a little strange when it comes to wedges. I don't like a heavy wedge so I have my wedges built to the same swing weight as the rest of my clubs. I prefer it that way because I accelerate better with it. So for me, the loading feels a little firm and that's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it. Back on point, the ball flight is a mid flight (for a wedge) and it will shape however you hit it. On wedges, the i95's feel like a seamless transition from my irons. The flighting is consistent. The spin was equally good. I got my intended distance, spin, and landing angle when I made a good swing. Nothing about this shaft will get in your wedge's way. Perhaps someone who like a more significant shaft load and heavier swing weight could comment.

Less than Full Swings: Half shots, long pitches, flop shots, chips, etc. I've been taking to warming up with 50 yard and shorter shots and my control with these are excellent. I get enough feel on them to hit the distance and placement I'm looking for. I can feel the ball coming off the grooves well enough. The spin rate is in line with my expectations based on my wedge play. The consistency is as good if not better than any shaft I've had on wedges.

I was considering making this a trilogy by adding some on course impressions but the weather has me playing a grand total of 1 round in the last 3 weeks. After all, grass tees or not, there's nothing quite like real course conditions. Perhaps that can still happen in the future.

Last edited:
Manlai, very nice little write up dude, thank you for that!

Love getting feedback on these, can't wait until some of our MC'ers who went this direction chime in as well!!!

I am still struggling with mine right now.....pull hook city on about 1/3 of the shots.

I'm not sure if it's the much lighter weight shaft causing me to get really quick and wristy with it or what. I need to speed some quality time at the range and work out the kinks.

I am still struggling with mine right now.....pull hook city on about 1/3 of the shots.

I'm not sure if it's the much lighter weight shaft causing me to get really quick and wristy with it or what. I need to speed some quality time at the range and work out the kinks.

Did you try them before you ordered them?

So today I got to the range that is really good for comparing distances. Has clear landing spots and a lot of different markers. I am comparing an R11 6 iron with a stock KBS 90 stiff shaft to an R11 iron with a Aerotech SteelFiber i95 stiff shaft. My swing speed with my driver is right around 100 so looking at the SteelFiber recommended chart that Jman posted I barely fit into their stiff recommended swing speed (swing chart at bottom of post). All I can say about the SteelFiber i95 is wow! I'm also real glad I went with stiff. It does feel stiffer than the KBS 90 but doesn't feel like too much club. Feels smooth and the little extra stiffness I feel is keeping my swing more under control. I hit about 20 shots with each, weather was 75* and sunny with little to no wind. Here were my findings...

Dispersion: The SteelFiber's dispersion was so much tighter than the KBS 90's. Felt like every shot with the SteelFiber i95 was dead straight while I was left and right the KBS 90. Was still hitting both pretty accurate but the SteelFiber was more accurate.

Trajectory: The SteelFibers continue to hit these mid/high towering shots that I've never seen before. I feel like if I could choose my exact trajectory for a 6 iron it would be what I'm seeing with the SteelFiber i95. The KBS 90 seemed to be going a little higher and I was losing some distance, it would seem to get up too high then hit a wall and start to fall while the SteelFiber just kept carrying.

Distance: Now to the distance which I couldn't write about the last time I did a head to head because the range was tough to tell distances. I saw distances I've never seen in my life with the SteelFiber i95. I would say 7-10 yards longer than the KBS 90's. I actually took out my R11 5 iron and was seeing similar distances between the R11 6 iron with the SteelFiber and the R11 5 iron with the stock shaft. I was absolutely amazed at how far I was hitting the R11/SteelFiber i95 combo. I had about 10-15 balls left and decided to hit some more 6 irons with the SteelFiber and absolutely crushed one as straight as an arrow. I had my rangefinder with me and shot the ball after I hit it, 188 yards! I usually see my 5 iron around 185ish. It was such a perfect shot I picked up my bag and left because I thought it was the perfect way to finish off my range session.

Overall: I need to get some funds to put these in all my irons. They are absolutely amazing shafts. The SteelFiber i95's are long, straight and I'm enjoying that they are easier on the body even though I'm not someone who gets aches and pains from playing. While their swing speed chart may not put me into their stiff shafts, I think the i95's in stiff are perfect for me. These shafts really have all the potential to be game-changers for me. I'm now officially in full on ponder mode to get these in all my irons.

These things are STOUT.

Nice right up Stan and some great comparisons you got there. It's good to hear that if your on the edge of flexes its better to go with the stiffer option!

Nice right up Stan and some great comparisons you got there. It's good to hear that if your on the edge of flexes its better to go with the stiffer option!

Thanks. I don't know if this is the case for everyone but it has been for me. I know the swing speed recommendations on the chart imply these play extremely stiff but they aren't as stiff as I expected. Definitely stiffer than the stock TaylorMade KBS 90's but nothing too crazy.

Thanks. I don't know if this is the case for everyone but it has been for me. I know the swing speed recommendations on the chart imply these play extremely stiff but they aren't as stiff as I expected. Definitely stiffer than the stock TaylorMade KBS 90's but nothing too crazy.

I'm on the edge of stiff and X. I'm leaning toward the X cause I liked the feel of Zenger's!

I'm on the edge of stiff and X. I'm leaning toward the X cause I liked the feel of Zenger's!

Nice to see you saw some similarities for someone on the edge of 2 flexes. I think a lot of people may look at the swing speed recommendations chart and overthink their flex. This shaft in stiff felt very smooth for me and I barely fit their recommended swing speed for stiff. The chart is a nice baseline but I would encourage anyone interested in these shafts to try them out in person, they are very smooth for shafts people may classify as stout.

Nice to see you saw some similarities for someone on the edge of 2 flexes. I think a lot of people may look at the swing speed recommendations chart and overthink their flex. This shaft in stiff felt very smooth for me and I barely fit their recommended swing speed for stiff. The chart is a nice baseline but I would encourage anyone interested in these shafts to try them out in person, they are very smooth for shafts people may classify as stout.

Yeah when I picked up his I thought there was no way, after that first swing I was all for them. So smooth and just felt right, stout but not boardy!

I'd like to actually hit them some more and get fit.

Yeah when I picked up his I thought there was no way, after that first swing I was all for them. So smooth and just felt right, stout but not boardy!

I'd like to actually hit them some more and get fit.

I think that's a good way of putting it golfinFF. They aren't your dad's graphite shafts that feel extremely whippy but they aren't boardy by any means. They're pretty stout but very smooth. Really enjoy hitting these irons. I'm also very close to pulling the trigger on these to round out the rest of my irons.

Did you try them before you ordered them?

Why would I want to do something stupid like that...:D

Hard to find a place to hit them honestly.....had a good range session and round this afternoon....it's not the shafts..it's just me getting quick....I think it's losing 30 grams of weight that is causing the issue, so it's just going to take time to swing them and get used to them.

Thats my miss too im thinking for me its tempo

Back