Aerotech SteelFiber Shaft Thread

StanTheCaddy

Who wants 2 have some fun
Reaction score
Handicap
9.8 USGA
I didn't see a thread dedicated to reviews and experiences on the Aerotech SteelFiber shafts so I thought I'd make one. This year I'm really looking at iron shafts. After seeing the advantage of upgrading my driver shaft I wanted to look into doing the same for my irons. The Aerotech SteelFiber's have really caught my attention after seeing them in the bag of some guys on Tour, most notably Matt Kuchar and Brandt Snedeker. After searching ebay I found a TaylorMade R11 6 iron for $10 and thought it was the perfect opportunity to pick up an extra iron and start doing some head to head comparisons. The iron shaft I was most intrigued by was the SteelFiber i95 which is similar in weight to my current KBS Tour 90's. Well I got my SteelFiber i95 shaft today and will be putting it into my extra 6 iron this week. I'll use this thread to share my experiences with it. I'm mainly focusing on distance, dispersion and trajectory. I am very fortunate that I don't have any joint pains and am someone who can hit for hours off mats and feel fine. So I won't be able to report back on the impact it has on joint pain.

Would be awesome to hear from THPer's who have tried these or currently game them. I really think that the industry is making some huge advancements in iron shaft technology and the SteelFibers definitely have some interesting technology, combining aspects of graphite and steel into one. I took some pictures of the shaft and will have more once it is installed. Initial thought is that it looks pretty similar to a steel shaft which I think is something they were going for.

Looking forward to your review Stan. I was talking about these quite a bit today with Mike Dean. I am super intrigued by them to say the least.

Stan I look forward to your feedback. These seem to be gaining popularity but I've not heard one thing about them. Color me intrigued.

Looking forward to your review Stan. I was talking about these quite a bit today with Mike Dean. I am super intrigued by them to say the least.

I'll have it in my 6 iron before the NE Invitational. I'll make sure I bring it to the range so you can get some swings with it if you want.

I'll have it in my 6 iron before the NE Invitational. I'll make sure I bring it to the range so you can get some swings with it if you want.

I'll also take you up on that.

TripleBogieTim ordered these shafts for his J40 DPC irons in the Morgan Cup, should be interesting to see what he has to say about them.

I'll also take you up on that.

TripleBogieTim ordered these shafts for his J40 DPC irons in the Morgan Cup, should be interesting to see what he has to say about them.

Definitely Ary. You're more than welcome to try it out.

I will be interested to hear your thought....Zenger just put them in his J38's and he said 2 words to me "game changers!"
I am excited to get these in my hands so I can get out and hit them.

I just put one in a 50 degree wedge. I have a Razr X approach wedge shafted with Callaway's 75g graphite shaft as is the rest of the set. The AW is great from the fairway, but I found it too light and turf interaction poor for chips and pitches from the rough.

I stumbled into a good deal on a Miura 50 with an Accra SP shaft. The accra is a great shaft. Very stable, very comfortable to hit. It's heavy at 124g. On the range it was great to hit, but on the course it was a big difference from the rest of the irons which wasn't ideal. So I decided to stick with a graphite shaft, lighter, but still sturdy so I settled on the Steelfiber.

Haven't had much chance to hit it yet, but looking forward to it.

Very interested to see how you like it in a longer iron.

Just picked up a set of Nakashima NP-5+ irons with them in the set. Even with the irons being a degree or two more loft than what is standard now, I've gained between 10-15 yards per iron and they are an absolute delight to hit--solid and consistent. Just need to have the Japanese stickers translated:bashful:
NOW to get my distances realigned/readjusted to this set.

I'll update this tomorrow when I'm at my computer further. I had been thinking about making this thread for a while.

But I have not hit my irons this well ever. Effortless. Smooth. Long. Accurate.
I'll never go back.

Since installing these irons I've shot 83 80 79 77 75 and a 74 today. And that's all ball striking because I haven't putted for nothing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm interested in these as well. I have a local clubfitter. His rule for irons is - steel: KBS Tours non-steel: Aerotech. That's not to say that he wouldn't look at other options, but he thinks their offerings are superb and doesn't have trouble finding a correct fit for his customers.

Those look good, Stan. I believe Thain is also putting these in his MC irons, so we should have a good amount of feedback in here before too long.

I have these in my mizzies and 588 rtx wedges (the i95 in fact). I've been randomly talking them up all over the forums that you'd think I worked for them. :p My fitter finally got my full set finished with these shafts so I could post some of my detailed thoughts in a bit.

Looking forward to following along. To say these intrigue me is an understatement. Can't wait to hear some feedback.

I'd love to compare these to the UST prototype shafts

Saw these on a used set Of Rbz stage2 tour at golfsmith, $699 for the set. Wasn't sure what they were, now I know.

Tap

One of my regular playing partners has them and absolutely loves them. Says they've done nothing but help him hit higher quality iron shots. From my perspective, it doesn't look like they've helped that much over the c-tapers he used to have...

They do look pretty sweet though, and I am curious how they perform. I've just heard they're a bit pricey.

When I went to see the club fitter a couple months ago, he had the range as options, but I didn't hit them as I knew fine well I couldn't afford them - I can't remember who it was, but someone on here said 'do not hit them, or your wallet will be crying'

someone on here said 'do not hit them, or your wallet will be crying'

*raises hand sheepishly*

Only thing missing is I wish the "Golf Pride" logo would say "Go Blue" instead. :p

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to hearing more on these, they've been on my radar for so long, but I've never had the chance to try them out!

Just got home and really liking the interest these shafts have. I dropped off the SteelFiber and my 6 iron with at the shop after work today. It will be ready tomorrow but I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning and won't be back until Sunday night. I'll pick it up on Monday and post pics of the shaft installed. Really excited to give this combo a swing next week.

These shafts have improved my game. It's a combination of added confidence, ability to get the ball up easily from any lie, and the smoothness and work ability of these shafts. Spin is up from my Dynamic Gold Tour issue, trajectory is up (if I choose it to be), ease of moving the ball, and the best part is little to no negative feedback on poor shots (haven't had a ton). I love the weight of these. I've always thought I was a heavier is better kind of guy in my irons, but I think I hit my 4 iron better than I hit my 52 atm. (95 gram vs 130 gram). Any specific questions I can answer I will.

Anyone looking at these I highly recommend. Highly.

Zenger . Are you noticing a.tighter dispersion over your previous shafts?

TapAhoy!

Back