TaylorMade R1 Black Driver Preview

<cough> performance over paint <cough>

I love how a ton of people talked about how they didn't notice different colors on clubheads and logos on the top of the clubheads after a few swings, but go ga-ga over a black driver compared to a white driver.

I really didn't notice the logo's at address, the same thing happened with the hybrids and fairway woods out there but I've always been critical of the white. But, pretty is pretty and the black is definitely that. Its the same driver underneath, yes, but its still a brilliant move by TM.

I love how a ton of people talked about how they didn't notice different colors on clubheads and logos on the top of the clubheads after a few swings, but go ga-ga over a black driver compared to a white driver.
My wife had an observation last night that I thought was spot on. The white with graphics was like our Civic: the car is so reliable and utilitarian that you get over the looks, which are generally in the bland to unappealing range, but you never really love it. The black is like our Acura: it is fundamentally functionally no different than the Civic but some style difference get you excited to drive it.

i had to go back a few pages to see what all the excitement was about folks already receiving this version. First class all the way TaylorMade! Congrats to the guys that received these :clapp:! You just never know who's watching ya on this forum huh :thumb:

I heard through the grapevine, that monkey butt was sending me a year's supply of their prized powder :D. jk

i had to go back a few pages to see what all the excitement was about folks already receiving this version. First class all the way TaylorMade! Congrats to the guys that received these :clapp:! You just never know who's watching ya on this forum huh :thumb:

I heard through the grapevine, that monkey butt was sending me a year's supply of their prized powder :D. jk
Now that's some funny stuff right there.

I'm one of those people. Though I don't notice the graphics or paint after awhile, it's far from preferred. Just enjoy black more.

I didn't mind the white at all. I didn't even mind the little bit of graphics that they had on the R11 and R11s. The R1 was completely overkill in my opinion though, with the mix of white and an over abundance of graphics that just "popped" a bit too much. Now that they have it out in black and have made the crown graphics a ton more subtle I am interested in this driver for the first time.

Big congrats to Tequila & Philly:) you guys are gonna rock those drivers! Please let us know how they work for you.
TM is a great company that is always offering opportunities for us to test stuff. And even when you least expect it, they are on the ball! Keep up the great work TaylorMade.

Send it to continental golf and for 45 bucks you can have a custom black R1.. I sent my RBZ there and had it finished in flat black looks awesome. They will be getting my R1 for the same treatment at the end of the season..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Probably going to do that. The one time I don't put the head cover back on it happens to me lol.

Awesome Job by TaylorMade on the Black R1. The R11, R11S and R1 are awesome products. TM Customer service is always excellent. You reap what you sow. TM makes people loyal to their brand by taking care of their customers. Surprising two golfers with the Black R1 is brilliant marketing. Enjoy those R1's guys.

Sea:clapp:

TM R11S Driver (Neutral, 10.5 Degrees, Heavy Weight in the Heel)
TM R5, 3 and 5 Wood
Cleveland 3H and 4H Hybrid
Mizuno Mixed Set of MX 23 and MP32's Made by Dana Upshaw
Mizuno MP Wedges
SC Circa 62 No. 2

Left Handed Player​

Awesome Job by TaylorMade on the Black R1. The R11, R11S and R1 are awesome products. TM Customer service is always excellent. You reap what you sow. TM makes people loyal to their brand by taking care of their customers. Surprising two golfers with the Black R1 is brilliant marketing. Enjoy those R1's guys.

Sea:clapp:

TM R11S Driver (Neutral, 10.5 Degrees, Heavy Weight in the Heel)
TM R5, 3 and 5 Wood
Cleveland 3H and 4H Hybrid
Mizuno Mixed Set of MX 23 and MP32's Made by Dana Upshaw
Mizuno MP Wedges
SC Circa 62 No. 2

Left Handed Player​

Welcome!!! Glad to have you! Head on over to the check in desk to introduce yourself. :D

Wow, just checking this thread for the first time in a couple of days. Congrats, Tequila & Phil on the Black R1s! What a wonderful gesture on Taylormade's part, makes me glad that I have a lot of TM stuff in the bag.

This driver is going to be purchased. What are the free options in terms of shafts when you get the TP version?

Answer the question War!!

I think it's just the Adila RIP 65

That is all I see as well. I figured they came with different options. That sucks as I like to go a little crazy with my shaft offerings. Well I have a few shafts here that I can retip. Hmm. This or the Nike wedges?

That is all I see as well. I figured they came with different options. That sucks as I like to go a little crazy with my shaft offerings. Well I have a few shafts here that I can retip. Hmm. This or the Nike wedges?
Such an easy choice dude...

Both!

I need to live near you War. I would enjoy it. The wife would hate you

I like it. You may need to learn to crouch a little more than usual

I got the R1 Black out for 18 today. The thing is just gorgeous.

I was paired with a family of three, husband, wife and pre teen son. They eventually asked what I was playing. I showed them and told them the story. We may have three newTHPmembers soon. We definitely have three people who are very impressed with TM and the Black. They kept saying "you got that for free?" In disbelief. I kept saying "I know", myself still in disbelief.

BTW, no face markings after playing the e5, yellow Q Star and RXS.

I got the R1 Black out for 18 today. The thing is just gorgeous.

I was paired with a family of three, husband, wife and pre teen son. They eventually asked what I was playing. I showed them and told them the story. We may have three newTHPmembers soon. We definitely have three people who are very impressed with TM and the Black. They kept saying "you got that for free?" In disbelief. I kept saying "I know", myself still in disbelief.

BTW, no face markings after playing the e5, yellow Q Star and RXS.

how'd you get it for free?

Was finally able to take our the black R1 to the range this evening. After warming up, I decided to hit 10 balls with my old R1, then bust out the black R1 and compare the two. It was kind of tough with all the attention I was getting from the range staff. But they finally left me alone after checking out the club and I got to work.

My regular R1 has fast become the most reliable driver I've played. I just have it at 10.5 Neutral and get a nice mid ball flight that turns over a little from the right, or goes dead straight with a lot of roll. I'd probably get more distance and get it higher if I messed with the settings, but I like the consistency and get enough distance out of it where it is. I have developed a nasty hook lately; making really good contact and the ball flies the distance I want, but just 20 yards left. At any rate, the hits with my old R1 were pretty normal, except for a few of the aforementioned hooks.

So then I took out the black R1. I really liked how it looked at address and the contrast with the ball.

photo-14.JPG

The photos don't really pick up on the subtle alignment lines, but they're there and it's easy to see them if you want to use them. They're also subtle so as not to distract you either. But I'm actually a big convert of the current white club head. I like the look of it, orange racing stripes and all, so am glad that the black version still has the stripes to maintain its R1 identity.

I don't know what it was, but the first 5 shots were terrible. I hit the top of the ball and it would bounce once before stopping about 50 yards out. I checked the settings and everything, nope, nothing wrong there. Finally, I started messing around with the adjustments and began hitting it like my old one.

The face seemed to handle impact points a little better, as there are absolutely no marks on the face while my old R1 has a few ball marks. As far as feel and everything else goes, they felt virtually identical.

I'm a big R1 fan and am really excited that the club is available in another option. For those that really prefer a black club head, you won't be disappointed at all. It looks sharp at address, it contrasts really well with the golf ball and the stripes make it stand out from other black drivers. It wasn't too sunny out, but I had no glare issues whatsoever. For me it's all about confidence at address and I've built up a lot of confidence with the white head. It won't take long for me to have the same confidence with the black head and as of now, I love them both.

I don't know what it was, but the first 5 shots were terrible. I hit the top of the ball and it would bounce once before stopping about 50 yards out. I checked the settings and everything, nope, nothing wrong there. Finally, I started messing around with the adjustments and began hitting it like my old one.

I do that sometimes with the first few swings of a new driver. It's like my subconscious is telling me not to put a skymark on the shiny new head, so I lift up and top the thing.

Glad that those got out of the way and let you enjoy the new club.

Back