advantage/disadvantage with this swing (videos)

ulle73

Reaction score
Handicap
im a 7 hcp golfer. My biggest problem is that im pulling the ball with my wedges, i play a draw, has a very flat swing. So today at the range i messed around with the wedge trying to find how to hit my pitch shots straight. I always stand very open with me feet. Tried to close them, keep them straight. And last, i put them almost pointing at the target. (if you think of a clock, 12 being the target, i point my feet at 1 and 2 aclock) And it was insane. I hit everything dead straight where i was aiming. All clubs, not only the wedges.

I hit the ball very clean all the time, only thing is that i dont take that much of a divot anymore...
So my question is. Can i really play like this? Will this have any huge disadvantage?

down the line:

down the line slow:

in front:

in front slow:
[video=youtube;juHrd-TaZcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHrd-TaZcI[/video]

The biggest thing I can notice is that being that flat with the feet that open, you might have to fight coming over the top. You didn't in that video, just my thoughts.

The biggest thing I can notice is that being that flat with the feet that open, you might have to fight coming over the top. You didn't in that video, just my thoughts.

i there anyone you have ever seen doing similar to this? cant understand why i can hit it so much better this way...

i there anyone you have ever seen doing similar to this? cant understand why i can hit it so much better this way...

When I open the club face I open my stance.

I'm guessing since its restricting your backswing you're allowed to stay in better position.

The extremely open position pre-rotating the shoulders to square restricts your backswing.
If you hit it as far as you did before, you can improve your full swing :)

I'm guessing since its restricting your backswing you're allowed to stay in better position.

so you mean this could be better for alot of golfers?

The extremely open position pre-rotating the shoulders to square restricts your backswing.
If you hit it as far as you did before, you can improve your full swing :)

i think i only lose like 5-10 yards/club. Which doesnt bother me at all. Im hitting a 6 iron 190-195. So rather lose 10 yards and hitting it where i want to then being all over the place ^^ +this new super-open way im also hitting it higher

You said that if your target is 12 oclock it looks like your feet are pointed at 10-11 oclock, open, not closed. Is this correct? Did you get more accurate when you opened or closed your stance?

43188405.jpg

i got much much more accurate when i changed my stance like this picture ! my feet are the 2 black lines (toes are at the high end of the black lines), the red line is my target line

67707802.jpg

here is a better image

I'm just guessing you may have been over rotating your hips at your original position. This is usually what causes nasty hooks. The weird stance you're using now will limit that rotation. Bubba is one player that comes to mind with a really open stance to limit that hip movement. It's not nearly as severe as yours, but you get the idea. Just don't come over the top otherwise that ball will be 50 yards right.

My thought is, have you tried to shorten your swing with a "normal" stance? The short backswing could possibly be the key to the entire accuracy thing IMO.

My thought is, have you tried to shorten your swing with a "normal" stance? The short backswing could possibly be the key to the entire accuracy thing IMO.

i always have a pretty short backswing, will post my regular swing...

If unorthodox works, go with it.

67707802.jpg

here is a better image

Missed this illustration. Well not sure my other post still applies. Well, whatever works I guess? Looks like you would take your lower body completely out of the swing standing like this. Perhaps becoming all upper body and casting and coming over the top.

swing before today:

[video=youtube;I8-965wcAhU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8-965wcAhU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

swing today:

With your backswing you can only play a flip hand draw. The video of you open to the target is what I teach for 1/4,1/2&3/4 shots. The trajectory is generally lower then a standard setup but its pretty accurate.

You've just put a bandaid of sorts on the bigger issue, the over flatness of your swing. Getting more upright will do away with the pulled wedges and open stance fix you discovered.

With your backswing you can only play a flip hand draw. The video of you open to the target is what I teach for 1/4,1/2&3/4 shots. The trajectory is generally lower then a standard setup but its pretty accurate.

You've just put a bandaid of sorts on the bigger issue, the over flatness of your swing. Getting more upright will do away with the pulled wedges and open stance fix you discovered.

sorry for not understanding.. so in the long run, you think this swing will hurt my game?

From about 120 and in, I play the open stance with my wedges. I have to remember to swing down my target line and not follow my body. If I follow my body and come inside with a slightly closed face, hello pull! I was taught this setup from my coach and it has changed my short game drastically. Seeing that Freddie recommends it is a huge confidence builder as well. He was unreal to watch on demo day as he helped everybody out.

From about 120 and in, I play the open stance with my wedges. I have to remember to swing down my target line and not follow my body. If I follow my body and come inside with a slightly closed face, hello pull! I was taught this setup from my coach and it has changed my short game drastically. Seeing that Freddie recommends it is a huge confidence builder as well. He was unreal to watch on demo day as he helped everybody out.

how open? so you cut the ball? or are you coming from the inside and out?

how open? so you cut the ball? or are you coming from the inside and out?

My stance isn't as open as what you posted. It is an entirely different theory than my full iron shots and driver swing though. I wouldn't use it anywhere else in my game.

For my short game it is meant to be accurate and control my distances better. I don't ever take a full backswing and then really control my distance with my follow through. I don't play a cut or draw on purpose from 120 and in but my miss is a draw when I get quick with my hands (releasing the club too quick and closing the face) or a pull when I swing too far inside (following my feet and not target line.) My coach has told me it a million times, "It doesn't matter where your feet are pointing. It matters where you swing the club."

I am not a swing guru by any stretch. So I stay out of really trying to help people fix swing issues. I've spent a lot of time perfecting my swing and my positions but really can't give advice on how to fix others issues. I do know what a heavy draw feels like and how annoying it can be though. I've been fighting it for over a year now. My issue was I would straighten my back leg and throw me out of position at the top of my backswing. With my back leg locked, I would start down with my hands first and try to have my lower body catch up. You need to ALWAYS start the down swing with your legs and lower body. This will create the lag that most are looking for and help increase distance (though neither you or I really need that).

As Freddie can attest, my miss now is a block out to the right even though I get too quick with my arms from time to time still. /rant

Watching your two videos though show me that your follow through is different. At least it looks like it is to me. With both swings you come way inside on take away but with the "new" stance you are firing your hips better. Take all this with a grain of salt though. Like I said, I am not a swing guru and could be totally wrong. I just liked your finish more on the new swing. That could be because your hips are cleared a little more.

My stance isn't as open as what you posted. It is an entirely different theory than my full iron shots and driver swing though. I wouldn't use it anywhere else in my game.

For my short game it is meant to be accurate and control my distances better. I don't ever take a full backswing and then really control my distance with my follow through. I don't play a cut or draw on purpose from 120 and in but my miss is a draw when I get quick with my hands (releasing the club too quick and closing the face) or a pull when I swing too far inside (following my feet and not target line.) My coach has told me it a million times, "It doesn't matter where your feet are pointing. It matters where you swing the club."

I am not a swing guru by any stretch. So I stay out of really trying to help people fix swing issues. I've spent a lot of time perfecting my swing and my positions but really can't give advice on how to fix others issues. I do know what a heavy draw feels like and how annoying it can be though. I've been fighting it for over a year now. My issue was I would straighten my back leg and throw me out of position at the top of my backswing. With my back leg locked, I would start down with my hands first and try to have my lower body catch up. You need to ALWAYS start the down swing with your legs and lower body. This will create the lag that most are looking for and help increase distance (though neither you or I really need that).

As Freddie can attest, my miss now is a block out to the right even though I get too quick with my arms from time to time still. /rant

Watching your two videos though show me that your follow through is different. At least it looks like it is to me. With both swings you come way inside on take away but with the "new" stance you are firing your hips better. Take all this with a grain of salt though. Like I said, I am not a swing guru and could be totally wrong. I just liked your finish more on the new swing. That could be because your hips are cleared a little more.

thanks alot for the feedback !! i think i going to try this swing for a while, just to see how it works! wish me luck ^^

sorry for not understanding.. so in the long run, you think this swing will hurt my game?

Yes, your swing that you have is too flat. I believe that you will need to go more upright if you are ever to add more shots to your game.

Back