It Clicks But Not The Score

My short game always cost me strokes!!!

Ditto! Yeah I can hit everything well, but getting up and down or the inability to can make or break a solid round. Yeah you get some bad bounces once in a while on great shots (Tiger-esque at Augusta) but recovering requires focus and concentration on what needs to be achieved.

Concentration sometimes and/or how aggressive you are on certain days. A good idea of this is in my play a couple times here lately on two par 5's that I swung out of my shoes off the tee and duffed the shot. Ended up par both times as I got pretty aggressive, but my concentration just locked in more so than other holes where I was on cruise.

The times where I hit the ball, chip and putt well and shot a less than acceptable score I consider bad luck. A good drive landing in a divot, good second shots where I get a bad bounce or putts that lip out I have learned to deal with for the most part. A good shot is a good shot.

If my concentration is off, I have found nothing usually goes well.

Ever had one of those rounds where you hit the ball as good as you possibly can, and yet still don't score well? What do you attribute it to on a personal level?

For me on those days it always comes down to putting and/or short game.

For me it comes down to concentration. I will sometimes just not be there mentally. It may lead to me hitting a solid shot, however my aim was terrible. Or I hit a good putt but I misread the green. Concentration is a big time key for me

That is exactly my problem as well. I will sometimes just go on auto-pilot and hit some very solid shots, but then I think, "why were you trying to hit a cut with a left to right wind", or I will slam the back end of the hole and pop out on an obvious downhill putt. I am amazed at the concentration level of the tour caliber players.

definitely...
say i finish with a score of 40 for 9 holes, i'll call it a "bad 40".
of course i'll take it, but i know that i left a lot of shots out there.

usually i will attribute it to not capitalizing on easy putts, or not getting up & down enough.
i try not to find excuses for missing greens or fairways, because you can still make par from anywhere.

Putting. Earlier this year I had a round where I was crushing the driver, hitting the irons well and every chip was good. I simply couldnt putt though and holes that could have been birdies or pars turned into bogeys.

I have had a few of these to start the year. So far for me I have had rounds where I feel like I am back to my normal game again and then I have one hole where I blow up but the other 17 holes are great. Last week I shot 78 with a triple on an easy par 3.

My problem this year is I haven't been hitting enough greens. My putting is better and my short game had been great but it puts so much strain on you to have to get up and down every hole. Plus you can't break par when u never give yourself makeable birdy chances.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Ever had one of those rounds where you hit the ball as good as you possibly can, and yet still don't score well? What do you attribute it to on a personal level?

Rounds that I don't score well when I'm finding the fairway and hitting GIR I usually attribute to the mental aspect and trying to get too cute with my short game.

For me it comes down to concentration. I will sometimes just not be there mentally. It may lead to me hitting a solid shot, however my aim was terrible. Or I hit a good putt but I misread the green. Concentration is a big time key for me

This was me yesterday.

Its usually a combination of losing focus or not so great putting. I did this friday, hit everything well but my aim was off by a few yards. Like others have said lack of focus leads to a lack of accuracy so no matter how well you hit it if your accuracy is off you really wont score well.

As stated by several. The mental game is usually the biggest contributor to my demise when I'm clicking.

These are the days that my short game just seems to disappear. Something that I am normally so confident in becomes a weakness because I realize I am striking the ball well and put added pressure on my short game to score well. Basically it's all mental for me.

When this happens to me it all comes down to the flat stick. I can still leave the course happy.

I have alot of days like that, for me it's usually one or two shots that I just don't take my time with and I end up getting in trouble.

I really need to learn to back up and reset when I am uncomfortable over the ball, Friday I was on a tee box that had some unlevel spots on it....I got over the ball and realized my left foot was in a small low spot...instead of backing off and re teeing the ball somewhere else, I went ahead and hit it and pushed it OOB.

Those kind of things tend to ruin good ball striking days for me.

over confident, that creeps in my game once in awhile, i played around with 9 putts on the front nine with one chip in and was 1 under par, played the back 9 with 18 putts and was 3 over par. this was a few years ago but shows when you think just because you hit a putt it is going in because your in the groove. you have to play every shot on its own, that is when i play my best, not worried about score or how many skins are out,ect, one shot at a time

I'm confused, you line up
Based on the direction of the tees on the tee box and not a target off in the distance?

Yea, I'm with you Freddie. You have to not even really pay attention to the direction of the tee boxes, as many courses will put them at odd angles intentionally!

I have alot of days like that, for me it's usually one or two shots that I just don't take my time with and I end up getting in trouble.

I really need to learn to back up and reset when I am uncomfortable over the ball, Friday I was on a tee box that had some unlevel spots on it....I got over the ball and realized my left foot was in a small low spot...instead of backing off and re teeing the ball somewhere else, I went ahead and hit it and pushed it OOB.

Those kind of things tend to ruin good ball striking days for me.

I do that sometimes to TBT! You know you should change it, but don't! For me, sometimes I'll get over the ball and just have a bunch of things going through my head, and I know I should back off, but go ahead and swing anyway! ( this tends to happen more for me when the pace of a round boggs down) Why on earth do we do stupid crap like that?!

I've noticed if I'm striking it really well and not scoring, my alignment is usually off. I think I'm line up at the pin, hit it great only to be hole high off the green.

I really think expectation need to be managed better. I see a great of inflated expectation and this can lead to unwarranted negative thoughts.

Are you working on your putting and chipping. Are you grooving a reliable swing? Ate you working on the right things when and if you practice.

You can concentrate all day but with no direction what are concentrating on.

I've definitely had rounds where I hit the ball solid all day but just didn't score well. I'd attribute it to a poor short game for the day.

On the other hand though, I've had days where I looked like I never played golf tee to green, but once I was around the green I looked like a tour pro.

I think it's just a matter of some days everything works together, and some days you have to make the best with what you have got working well that day.

Back