Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I have had to completely lay off my driving range time and I have already felt the reward. My bad knee thanks me for less twisting and torquing of the bad joint. I'm actually playing better golf because I was hitting up to 100 balls prior to teeing off and hurting like crazy by the back nine. My last five scores at a course that was wiping my butt on a regular basis, have all been under 90. My handicap is showing less golf or at least less pounding balls is a good thing. It's dropping rather quickly without the mid to high nineties on the card.

You got to know when to say enough is enough. I love golf and since being retired, I was going as many times per week as possible. Why not, you get your around home chores done so go at it. Well sometimes even golf, can wear your body down. You have to realize you can't pound balls week in and week out, without resting your body. I know I have a major surgery pending. I hope it's something I can delay, until I'm at least medicare age. I may or may not be able to achieve that goal/time frame. I could have gone and played today however I decided to stay home and rest my body. I feel better, look forward to a round of golf tomorrow and with a better refreshed body.

When injuries, surgeries, sore backs, sore joints etc. come around, are you patient enough to listen to your body? For a long time I was stubborn and would not listen. I would fight through the pain and get aggravated when the scores were poor. I'm slowly learning when to say no. My body needs the rest. My mind needs refreshing. If you don't take care of your body, it's going to tell you either now or later. Listen, rest, & refresh and you will be better person/golfer for it.

I know you guys working five days a week or saying this does not apply to me. It might not physically but it may mentally :thumb:

I have no patience when it comes to sitting out to recover from an injury! That doesn't mean I don't, as a young 60 year old I'd rather sit out a week or two to heal than push on and make the injury more serious. I tend to hit the range once per week and get in one round per week, but then I'm not retired......yet!

I have no patience when it comes to sitting out to recover from an injury! That doesn't mean I don't, as a young 60 year old I'd rather sit out a week or two to heal than push on and make the injury more serious. I tend to hit the range once per week and get in one round per week, but then I'm not retired......yet!

I bet you are gonna be tearing up the course when you finally do retire :golf2:! It happens to all of us. We're finally retired and free, so we head out and pound the hell out of some golf balls :deadhorse:. We slowly start to wonder, why we barely make it out of the bed the next morning :beat-up:. The freedom to play is awesome, the wisdom to regulate that opportunity takes time :thumb:

I, too, have been playing and practicing less and my game has suffered only a little while my body suffers less.

If I would get back to the short game area I could get my scores back where (I think) they belong.

I'm only 21 years old but have really bad knees (was a catcher for 10 years and tore ligaments in left knee in football) and I can't play in cold weather. My knee instantly locks up and doesn't want to move. You guys should feel lucky, I ice my knees almost every day.

I, too, have been playing and practicing less and my game has suffered only a little while my body suffers less.

If I would get back to the short game area I could get my scores back where (I think) they belong.

The short game takes less toll on the body too :thumb:. This applies to the young bucks who are coming out of surgery who are anxious to get back on the course. Chipping, putting, and less impact type shots, are actually the ones that lower your scores.

I'm in a golf league at a 55+ community where 99% of the golfers are retired. Some of them play almost every day, but the majority play 1-2 times a week - mostly due to aches and pains (knees and backs are the main culprits).

Personally, I play once a week, and can squeeze an extra round in if the days are not consecutive. My back just can't take the pounding on a regular basis. However, I think my enjoyment for the game has increased as my ability to play multiple rounds per week has diminished. It kind of makes sense!

I feel great for those of you who can play often - enjoy! :banana:

Bill, take care of you first. There is a long list of people that need to experience golf with the keeper of the woodshed.

I'm only 21 years old but have really bad knees (was a catcher for 10 years and tore ligaments in left knee if football) and I can't play in cold weather. My knee instantly locks up and doesn't want to move. You guys should feel lucky, I ice my knees almost every day.

OUCH! I feel for ya tpluff. I bet your meniscus looks like little orphan Annie's hair on steroids :bulgy-eyes:

Bill, take care of you first. There is a long list of people that need to experience golf with the keeper of the woodshed.

Awww appreciate ya partner! I'm slowing learning my body is not like the man of steel (Superman) :D

OUCH! I feel for ya tpluff. I bet your meniscus looks like little orphan Annie's hair on steroids :bulgy-eyes:

Actually my miniscus wasn't affected, it was my MCL and PCL (inside and middle left knee). It can almost tell when the weathers changing because of humidity change.

I'm not just saying this because of my profession, but I listen to my body all the time. I had the entire afternoon off today and part of me wanted to go to the range, but I was feeling really worn down and decided to get some rest because I think my practice session would have been pretty bad had I gone to the range. Golf is a game that you can play for your entire life, don't neglect your body and take care of it so that you can play for the rest of your life.

Sorry to hear that Ole Gray. I'm hoping I will be in good shape (relatively) when I retire so I can play as much as I would like. I hope I would be patient enough to listen to my body--imagine it would make playing more enjoyable.

That's a good point. That's what I was going to suggest for Ole Gray--maybe more time working on the short game if that is easier on the body.

I'm not just saying this because of my profession, but I listen to my body all the time. I had the entire afternoon off today and part of me wanted to go to the range, but I was feeling really worn down and decided to get some rest because I think my practice session would have been pretty bad had I gone to the range. Golf is a game that you can play for your entire life, don't neglect your body and take care of it so that you can play for the rest of your life.
This message applies to many of us bullheaded males

I've played all of six 18 hole rounds this year and hardly any range time and my handicap is going up. R and R clearly doesn't help!

It's a time thing for me. Three more weeks and an can be out there every single day. I'm enjoying my golf as much as timely possible while I'm young.

THPing on Tapatalk

So much wisdom here! I've gone out many times when my body said no and it/my golf round always ends up a mess. Listen to this man :thumb:

I've played all of six 18 hole rounds this year and hardly any range time and my handicap is going up. R and R clearly doesn't help!

It's a time thing for me. Three more weeks and an can be out there every single day. I'm enjoying my golf as much as timely possible while I'm young.

THPing on Tapatalk

You're young and invincible right now. Play hard however listen when your body says enough. Even the Pros have to back off and take refresher breaks from their schedules. It's call avoiding burn out. It's kind of like watching a child golf prodigy tear up the junior circuit and then fizzle out when they reach adult age.

Well, I've never been sick really a day in my nearly 52 years here on earth, but I had spine/neck surgery on March 7th and been off of work since February 9th. I had a couple of setbacks, so now I'm off until at least the 17th of June. Took my health for granted my entire life, but now my outlook has changed. I'm cleared to play golf but having some meds issues that is keeping me off for now.

Don't take your health for granted, anyone!

When injuries, surgeries, sore backs, sore joints etc. come around, are you patient enough to listen to your body? For a long time I was stubborn and would not listen. I would fight through the pain and get aggravated when the scores were poor. I'm slowly learning when to say no. My body needs the rest. My mind needs refreshing. If you don't take care of your body, it's going to tell you either now or later. Listen, rest, & refresh and you will be better person/golfer for it.

I know you guys working five days a week or saying this does not apply to me. It might not physically but it may mentally :thumb:

Bill - I am as guilty as everybody else when it comes to ignoring what's going on. Kevin is over there biting his tongue and rolling his eyes as he reads this because he knows I have a sore shoulder/elbow that I've ignored, and would have continued to do so until 1) I have somehow sprained/strained my wrist and am forced to behave and now 2) I read your post. I don't want to stop forward progress but you are right sometimes you gotta step back and chill.

I keep telling myself if my 88 year old dad can still play golf 3 times a week I should be able to play through a little discomfort. Not logical I know but there ya go, a golf addict's rationale is never sensible.

I was hurt in Iraq in 2003 and had to have my lower left leg and ankle completely rebuilt and 3 vertebrae in my neck fused. The problem is when they rebuilt my left leg, they made it longer than the right and over the years since, the different lengths have cause pelvic tilt and scoliosis. My leg and neck rarely put me down, but the pelvis and lower back hurt everyday.

It's a fine line. The more I exercise, the stronger the muscles get and the better I feel, but go just a hair too far and I'm down for 2 weeks completely. Golf is really the only exercise besides walking that I can do anymore, so I combine the two together 3 times a week. But by the 3rd day, I'm pretty stiff and the back 9 gets a little rough.

My body is really talking to me right now. I've played a ton of golf this past month and I'm feeling it in my back, hip and leg (sciatic pain from 2 herniated discs) and in my shoulders. I know I need to chill for a while but I find that I only rest for a couple days before I'm back out there. Nothing taking a few NSAIDS can't temporarily remedy but I'm worried about how many I've been taking lately.

i've had a hurt back for quite a while now. but that doesn't mean that if i can get my hands on a club with a ball on a matt, i won't take a good whallop at it.

and i wonder why it isn't getting better... jeesh.
i hate myself, and myself hates me.

Dang, you guys are a bunch of broken down old horses!

Just kidding, I know the feeling. You should see me trying to get out of the chair after I've come in from a round of golf.

Like most everyone here, every time I can be at a range or a course, I want to be there. But I've definitely hit walls where I'm so physically and mentally tired that swinging the club just isn't doing anything for me but causing frustration. I would certainly agree that listening to your body is important. So is listening to your state of mind. If you're not in a good state of mind, your chances of playing well or having effective practice are not high.

I can honestly say that my body feels great at age 48. I am finally fully recovered from 4 surgeries:left rotator cuff reconstruction in Oct. 2011, left knee in Dec. 2011, right knee ACL/MCL/meniscus in Apr. 2012, and forearm Jan. 2013. The perils of being an ex ski racer who still thinks he is 25!:act-up: My wife no longer comes to the hospital when I'm going into surgery!

Honestly, I've been taking much better care of myself these last 5 years and I feel as good as I did when I was 30. Father time will catch me soon.......

I dont spend as much time on the range anymore either because of a bad back...my game may have suffered a little but I would rather play more golf with less pain

Back