What shot shape do you play? Fade vs Draw vs Straight?

Some days I play a fade, sometimes I play a draw, sometimes I don't know what is coming next.

This is me to a T

most days its a draw that veers into a hook.

I hit a draw, which sometimes (often) becomes a hook.

This pretty much applies to me as well. I've been working hard on trying to get my swing more neutral so that I can hit a fade if I need to do that.

I will intentionally hit a draw or fade only if I have to, i.e. there is something in the way. Otherwise, I play my natural shot, which is straight or a slight fade - usually I aim just slightly left of target just to account for my slight fade coming into play.

I hook the ball.

THPing on Tapatalk

If there is no wind my usual shot shape is a slight baby draw. If I start my shot right at the flag, it usually ends up about 5-10 feet left of it.

Driver - Have recently figured out how to hit both on demand (mostly).

Fairway/hybo - Generally a fade but starting to figure out the baby draw.

Irons - Play the straight shot with perhaps a little draw/fade depending on the situation.

Being able to shape shots is awesome. I don't think there is one shot shape that is better than another, it's all about playing the best shot that the situation dictates. I use it to play away from trouble. I think the worst thing you can do is fight your natural swing. If you work at it, your natural swing will be able to hit any shape you want.

I'm an absolute beginner so this is apt to change but I am currently hitting about a five yard draw. I was pushing horribly until I fixed my grip. If I can get rid of my all too occasional fat shots and tops I will be happy with my overall shot shape. My distance....I won't get into that.

I generally play a baby draw on most days. If I start getting lazy coming through the ball, it will shift to a baby fade. I can and will play draws and fades when such a shot shape is called for. When I'm intentionally shaping a shot, I tend to go with the Nicholas method (ie. setting up the body to encourage the shape before the shot). It seems to be the most reliable method for me. Last round I played an intentional fade to hold the ball against a strong right to left breeze. I needed to thread a copse of trees on the right and another on the left near the green, so I had no line to play it out to the right and let the wind bring it back. Was able to drop the ball to about ten feet for an easy 2-putt par. I won't do it unless the shot calls for it, because it is a bit risky, but when I go for it and pull it off, it's very rewarding.

I used to play with a fade, then about 12 months ago it turned into a draw. I have no idea why. My bad shots turned into a hook. Then, about 6 weeks ago, my fade returned. Again I have no idea why LOL. Of the 2, the fade is way better. Far easier to control. As for which is better, I don't agree with straight is best. Most pros play with a natural draw or fade, if its good enough for them, it's goo enough for me. What's far more important, IMO, is to hit a consistent shot, so you know what the ball is going to do and you can play accordingly.

I pretty consistently draw everything save for driver and 4w. Although those are most often draws too, straight shots and fades are frequent enough. But I can mostly draw them when I want, which also, very easily, invites over-doing it. :smile:

Honestly I would rather play a straight ball most of the time.....I used to play a fade...but with lessons this year it's been turned into a draw...I can still fade it when I need to which is nice.

i started the game as a slicer, and have since then been obsessed with hitting the draw as i felt it was a sign of a "better player" and a "better swing"...i now hit a stock 5-7 yard draw on most shots, but that can easily become a hook. i'm trying to just hit straight shots, but i wont mind if i turn it into a controllable fade as my go-to shot now. like someone else said, i don't really find i lose iron distance by hitting a cut, and i like the ballflight a bit better

Really depends on the day. Some days it tends to cut just a bit more than normal, some days it's more straight and some the draw appears. It's really knowing your game and knowing how to deal with those days when certain shots appear. So basically.......aim at the center of the fairway and green to be safe! :D

I consistently can hit all three. When I say consistently, I mean that I consistently have no idea which one is coming next. Like most people, I started with a slice/fade and in correcting that now produce a bag of allsorts. :(

Tapping away!

I try to hit it fairly straight, but I'll have stretches a couple holes long where I can hit whatever I want. I call those legitimate golf shots, and I relish them. It's nice when you can tell yourself to hit a high cut over and around a tree onto the green and do it.

I tend to play a draw that occasionally turns into a draw or stays out as a push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't actually play anything. I wish I was that good. I try to hit it as straight as possible. My typical misses are hooks or pull hooks.

Driver and 3 wood are a slight fade on off days its a power fade. Irons are straight. If I need to I can hit a draw but I am not consistent enough to be confident in that ability.

I am a straight ball hitter. My miss is a major slice or slight pull. I like the straight shot over anything else it makes it easy for me to hit my target.

Usually a draw. If it's a good day it will stay a little baby draw all day. I've noticed that the worse the round goes the baby draw starts to turn into a hook. Unless of course there is something that I need to avoid on the right, then it's a slice! :)

I usually have a fade, a slice, a draw or a double cross, in that order.

Back