THP UK Spring Cup Review and pictures

Great pics Glenn, looks like you caught the ambiance of the venue quite nicely there.

Well it's all gone very quiet here! Only a few days since we left the Belfry, and I am already wondering about the next event...this time I got to play with folk that I had not played with before. mav281 (twice) the Doctor, and Crag Rat. As per the first event, all three guys turned out to be.....well, golfers.

All were encouraging of others, but all were focused on their own game. My memory of MAV, is that after a bad shot, you would see his back striding up the fairway, darkly muttering. After a good shot, he would be alongside of you, chatting away. Back nine, day 2 he never shut up! :)

The Doctor started out quite shy and very polite...but after a few holes opened up, smiled and started hitting his three wood like a howitzer. In Internet yards, 300 minimum.

Crag Rat had possibly the unluckiest second day I have ever witnessed. I would be twenty yards left and a club short, left with a simple chip. Crag would be 2 foot short and under the lip of a deep bunker. It was just one of those days for him. However he laughed and joked all day. I believe he got home and kicked the dog!

Me - well on day 1 I started with a range session and was hitting wedges to order...95 yards stop dead? No problem. 91 yards, one hop, there you go. Then I stood on the course and developed a new club, the 'water wedge'. If there was water on the hole, I would lay up into it. If there was no water on the hole, I would hit it into water on a neighbouring hole. I daresay I was doing some dark muttering of my own. On day 2, play improved, with a hangover that Oliver Reed would have been proud of, I lacked the ability to think about the swing, and pulled off two pars in the first three holes. I watched Crag Rat become the Sand Rat, MAV become the 'iron man' and wilted a little.

I came away absolutely exhausted, exhilarated and desperate to get out onto a quality course with quality people as soon as possible. ;)

Tapping away!

My memory of MAV, is that after a bad shot, you would see his back striding up the fairway, darkly muttering. After a good shot, he would be alongside of you, chatting away. Back nine, day 2 he never shut up! :)

LMAO - yes I know that is a nasty little habit of mine and one I am actually quite embarrassed about :embarrassed:

I should really be able to control it by now, but I can't help it sometimes and when it owes wrong I get really frustrated. Passion for the game I guess :)

I watched Crag Rat become the Sand Rat, MAV become the 'iron man' and wilted a little.

I love those RocketBladez and I've had rounds where I've hit them like that all day long. Of course I've also had rounds where they don't work like that which probably explains by "little girl" attitude at times :embarrassed:

I came away absolutely exhausted, exhilarated and desperate to get out onto a quality course with quality people as soon as possible. ;)

As did I buddy, I'm still struggling a little now, although I can't wait to get out on the course again on Saturday :thumb:

LMAO - yes I know that is a nasty little habit of mine and one I am actually quite embarrassed about :embarrassed:

I should really be able to control it by now, but I can't help it sometimes and when it owes wrong I get really frustrated. Passion for the game I guess :)

Oh! Not a criticism! Each player has his mannerisms, and I can safely say that no point were you rude, difficult or anything other than a pleasure to play with....just made me smile!

Tapping away!

Oh! Not a criticism! Each player has his mannerisms, and I can safely say that no point were you rude, difficult or anything other than a pleasure to play with....just made me smile!

Tapping away!

Your too kind sir :thumb:

Cheers for the kind words there Stu, I do tend to be quiet to start with until I get comfortable and with you guys it didn't long for me to relax and enjoy the weekend

I will try and remember to leave the 3 wood at home next time so I don't embarrass you too much :alien: although if I can sort out a driver to add to the bag you might be left even further behind :D

And after my second day, my advice would be to forget about the range and just go out onto the course and shoot a good score :D

Sorry not been on in the last couple of days, I've just played Lytham, wow what a fantastic day but more on that later.

Loved playing with you both Sunday, great fun to play and some bloody good golf from you both, Stu, the front 9 you were in fire, I honestly thought you had a chance but I think the 3am session caught up with you.

Mav, I thought that was some of the best ball striking I've seen on the back 9. It was great to play and watch the quality shots you both hit.

Back to your comments on sand rat, it happened again today! First 3 holes, 7 bunker shots! But managed to shoot a 93 and only ended up in another 4 of the 207 bunkers!! I now know why I play Rudding with it's 12 or 13 bunkers!!

Sorry not been on in the last couple of days, I've just played Lytham, wow what a fantastic day but more on that later.

Loved playing with you both Sunday, great fun to play and some bloody good golf from you both, Stu, the front 9 you were in fire, I honestly thought you had a chance but I think the 3am session caught up with you.

Mav, I thought that was some of the best ball striking I've seen on the back 9. It was great to play and watch the quality shots you both hit.

Back to your comments on sand rat, it happened again today! First 3 holes, 7 bunker shots! But managed to shoot a 93 and only ended up in another 4 of the 207 bunkers!! I now know why I play Rudding with it's 12 or 13 bunkers!!

Belfry, Lytham...some week! What are you playing the weekend? Troon and Carnoustie?:alien:

clearly the bunker practice is helping, I imagine 93 is a pretty reasonable score around there.

Cheers for the kind words there Stu, I do tend to be quiet to start with until I get comfortable and with you guys it didn't long for me to relax and enjoy the weekend

I will try and remember to leave the 3 wood at home next time so I don't embarrass you too much :alien: although if I can sort out a driver to add to the bag you might be left even further behind :D

And after my second day, my advice would be to forget about the range and just go out onto the course and shoot a good score :D

With a 3 wood like that, I'm not sure what a driver would give you! Put a leftie wedge in the bag for those awkward tree shots! You are naturally a leftie after all:act-up: I noticed that my tee shots started going dead straight on day 2. Problem was I could not bring myself to aim straight! Get that sorted and I'll be in the right ball park.

:act-up:

Really enjoyed playing the PGA National. Personally found it be as much of a challenge as the Brabazon and in places a little more enjoyable. That may have been because I played better on the back 9 but none the less I felt the PGA National really did hold it's own really well against the likes of the Brab.

Thanks Crag - appreciate the comments. Shame it took me 9 to get going really but much like most of the other lads I really struggled on the second day with stiff back, shoulders etc and I really had to force myself to turn properly to get through the ball.

I thought we all played some really good golf on the second day - we all had our moments and each of us scored pretty well in general. Like I said not an easy course to play at all.

Ah yes our resident sand man. I have put a whip together to get you a really good quality bucket and spade with a wooden handle and everything for the next trip. It was almost like there was a magnet in the bunkers which your ball was just automatically attracted to. Fortunately like El B you play sand shots reasonably well - with the exception of the 11th I think it was where you somehow managed to open the face of your wedge enough to get the ball to go up in the air and back over your head. That my friend was a truly amazing trick shot which we really appreciated :thumb:

Some awesome pics and from the recaps sounds like it was a blast...well done gents

Mav, have you moved your pics that you linked on the first page? They are not showing any more for me

Mav, have you moved your pics that you linked on the first page? They are not showing any more for me

Ah yeah good point. Moved them to a folder on my Photobucket account.

Will re-link for everyone.

Well Mav and gang, I have finally managed to get time to sit and look at the reviews from the weekend.

Some great shots and sounds like you all had a blast. God how I wish I could have been there.

Really good that the weather held out as the Brab is hard going in good weather so can be a real beast if wet.

Well Mav and gang, I have finally managed to get time to sit and look at the reviews from the weekend.

Some great shots and sounds like you all had a blast. God how I wish I could have been there.

Really good that the weather held out as the Brab is hard going in good weather so can be a real beast if wet.

Was a beast for me in good weather! Really fair course though. Rewards good shots, but lets you get away with very little IMO

Have we had anyone sign up got the Albatross club, great cap and free shipping on any competition prizes!

Be great to start it growing over here!

Windows water rough they all possess magnetic qualities shame the same can't be said for the fairways.

A bit late catching up on the trip, life has been hectic!

Great fun reading through the recap and all your thoughts and comments, looks like you all had an awesome time. Really hoping I can make it to the next event!

I am up playing the Brabazon and PGA on 6/7 Aug so seeing the pics and all of your write-ups is getting me rather excited to get back there!

Happy Golfing all :)

Was a fantastic trip fella - great time was had by all!

Do your best to sweet talk your missus into joining us for the next trip, If there is one thing I can promise you it's that you will not regret it and you'll come back asking the same question as we all have from the last couple of trips.....

...... WHEN'S THE NEXT ONE MAV!

Back