THP UK Spring Cup Review and pictures

Mav281

Mr Inconsistent
Reaction score
Handicap
It’s honestly difficult to know where to begin with this particular recap. The last couple of days seem to have been a bit of a blur for me (partly Sambuca induced), but in the best possible ways and I know that everyone who was involved in the event feels the same way.

Some 10 or 12 weeks ago the UK THP crew, which on this occasion grew to 13 members, arranged and confirmed their second outing of 2013 which was dubbed the Spring Cup. Different locations and costs were tentatively discussed but in the end we opted to frequent one of the UK’s most prestigious and time honored locations – The Belfry Golf club in Warwickshire.

The advanced deal that we secured gave us the opportunity to play the Derby and PGA National Courses, take in the Belfry’s on site facilities and enjoy some food and accommodation as part of the very reasonably priced “all in package”. There was some disappointment from various members of the group that we would not get the chance to play the premium course at The Belfry, the 2002 Ryder Cup course we all know and love the Brabazon – but it was decided that the cost of the upgrade was unfortunately to steep.

WELL – I am pleased to report that thanks to some groveling from myself and tactical humor/playful threats from El Bandito we managed to convince the staff in the pro shop at The Belfry to allow us to pay a nominal much more acceptable fee to upgrade to the Brabazon course – WOOT great start!

Sunday therefore got started with a slightly longer and more sociable welcome/introductions session than usual as we had to accept tee times that were some 3 hours later than the original ones I had booked. Many of the lads took the opportunity to tour the grounds, get some pictures of the courses and take in the general ambiance of the venue whilst others opted to hit the range and try and work out those last minute swing issues. I must admit, The Belfry does have a special feeling about it and it’s difficult not to get excited just standing out on the terrace watching groups of golfers arrive at the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] tee and all try to hit the green in one. For those of you who don’t know what the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] tee is all about on the Brabazon, try this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEZMa1PNHg8

Eventually our tee times rolled round and we set out in our pre-selected groups which my lovely wife had randomly selected earlier in the week. The reason for these groupings was so we could play our Yellow Ball competition which basically entails each group playing a yellow ball between them across the 18 holes and the yellow ball stableford score being totted up at the end to give us a winning team. Each team was again given two yellow balls and told if they lost their first one they could “buy” the second ball for 10 Stableford points.

Now before I go any further I think I speak for all concerned when I say the Brabazon was perhaps not the easiest of courses to be playing a team game like this and this was heavily backed up by the fact that of the 8 balls I issued to the four teams I got ONE back! What’s funny is that the team that returned that yellow ball very honestly explained to everyone that this wasn’t even their yellow ball and they had found it two or three holes back! Suffice to say the Yellow Ball scores were on the lower side compared to the Winter Cup and were as follows,

-6 Points - Team Dicks: Sam Guest, David Liversedge, David Balbi (Crag Rat) and Tom Simonsen.
-3 Points – Team Seve: Stuart Lennon (El Bandito), Chris Bullock (Mav281) and Glenn Smith (The Doctor)
5 Points – Team Rose: Andy Bullock (Bully), Any Burgess (Burgrbudge) and Martin Newton.
12 Points – Team Faldo: Neville Smith, John Williams, Rob Newton

Congratulations therefore go to the members of Team Faldo who were able to hang on to their yellow balls for more holes than anyone else. Well done lads!

The second part of the golf on the first day is of course individual Stableford scores which would be added to the Stableford scores from the second days golf to give us an eventually Winner and Runner up. The overnight leader in the club house having played the Brabazon was Andy Burgess with an impressive 34 points, second was Rob Newton with 29 points and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] was Martin Newton with 25 points.

Whilst I appreciate those scores do not sound particularly amazing (and the lads know I mean no disrespect saying that), anyone that has played the Brabazon at The Belfry will be able to tell you what a monster of a course it is, and man is it hard work. I have to say though it is beautifully maintained and well-kept and was an absolute joy to play – it’s certainly a course I am very keen to have another go at in the not too distant future. The link below will give you a look at the course guide which should give you some idea of what it’s like to play.

http://www.thebelfry.co.uk/golf/the_brabazon.php?h=1

And yes we all had a go at driving the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] green. We decided in the spirit of good fun to give everyone a single mulligan if they wanted it so they could have a go at hitting the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] green. Only one of us was able to achieve that and even managed to sink the putt for a birdie so well done Rob Newton for that one!

By the time we were done with golf on Sunday and everyone was back in the club house it was gone 8.30pm and our dinner reservation was rapidly approaching. We therefore retired to rooms for showers and a change of clothes before taking in dinner at the Atrium restaurant which was very enjoyable.

Once dinner was done with El Bandito graced our table with a rather expensive bottle of Sambuca and promptly started to “fine” people for losing yellow balls, scoring too may points, not scoring enough points etc etc. Suffice to say the £100 bottle of Sambuca lasted less than 10 minutes so we retired to the lounge to continue drinking and generally enjoying one another’s company. All in all a fantastic first day.

Monday morning started bright and early as we had pre-booked tee times from 9.30am onwards. Most people arrived reasonably early for breakfast, whilst some who didn’t go to bed until 3am (apparently the single malt was too good J) joined us a little later.

With check out done and dusted we ventured out onto the PGA National which is the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] of the official courses at The Belfry. The PGA National has played host to various European Seniors and Europro Tours. It’s also one of only 3 course courses in the British Isles that is PGA Branded. As such playing the PGA National isn’t exactly settling for second best especially when it’s only 100 yards or so shorted than the Brabazon.

With the above in mind I again think I speak for all concerned when I say the Monday was extremely hard work. The PGA is both mentally and physically challenging more so than the Brabazon in places and quite honestly I found the PGA National to be as much of a challenge as well.

The golf played on the PGA National today though produced some excellent scores from various members of the group and I think anyone that managed to score 30+ Stableford points today was again doing very well. Special shout outs for The Doctor who managed to shoot 40 points, Rob Newton who shot 35 points and Burgerbudge and myself who managed to shoot 32 points and 33 points respectively. Again I must stress that this is a tough course and these were very respectable scores so well done to everyone once again.

You can get an overview of the PGA National course at the link below, so you can see what we were playing - http://www.thebelfry.co.uk/golf/pga_national.php?h=1

With all the golf over and done with we convened on the terrace one last time to enjoy a swift pint, a sandwich, and do the final results and medal presentations. The final results in the Singles Stableford competition were as follows,

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Place – Andy Burgess (Burgerbudge) – 34 + 32 = 66 points.
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Place – Rob Newton – 29 + 35 = 64 points.
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Place – Glenn Smith (The Doctor) – 22 + 40 = 62 points
4[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Chris Bullock (Mav281) – 23 + 33 = 56 points.
5[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Stuart Lennon (El Bandito) – 23 + 30 – 53 points.
6[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – David Liversedge (David L) – 22 + 30 = 52 Points.
Joint 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Andy Bullock (Bully) – 21 + 30 = 51 Points.
Joint 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Martin Newton – 25 + 26 = 51 Points.
9[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – David Balbi (Crag Rat) – 23 + 26 = 49 Points.
10[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Sam Guest – 24 + 23 = 47 Points.
Joint 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – John Williams (El Jefe) – 18 + 21 = 39 Points.
Joint 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Neville Smith (Dirk St Moritz) – 13 + 26 = 39 Points.
13[SUP]th[/SUP] Place - Tom Simonsen (Carlsberg Boy) – 16 + 21 = 37 Points.

Huge congratulations for our new champion and now current holder of the THP UK Hackers Cup – Andy Burgess. Andy is now entitled to hold on to our cup until the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] outing of the year which will be held around August/September/October time. Andy make sure you update your home insurance policy to include that trophy as it’s clearly monumentally expensive and of course priceless in terms of sentimental value to the THP UK Hackers Group ;)

During the play today I also arranged for longest drive and nearest the pin competitions to go out onto the course which the Belfry were happy to accommodate us with.

The longest drive of the day was hit down the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] by Mr David Liversedge (David L). David beat out some very close competition and I am told there was little more than a yard or so in it between David L and Bully’s ball, so well done David.

The nearest the pin prize was won by none other than myself on the par 3 15th. It would appear the e6 is capable of stopping without rolling off every single green which I was most pleased to see!

My final comments before closing and leaving you with the small selection of pictures I took (loads more coming I can promise you), will simply be of thanks to everyone who came along and made the event what it was. I had a fantastic time personally, enjoying the golf, the ambiance of such a quality location and the friendship of a superb group of individuals. I very much look forward to our next trip and hope we can get an even bigger group together for that one, perhaps mixing some new faces in with the current ugly mob J

Mav out!

P.S Don’t forget guys – as we discussed last night please don’t forget to sign up the Albatross club and give your support to the forum. It’s of benefit to everyone and shows our support to the folks in the US that make this happen for all of us.

Last edited:
THE OFFICIAL BELFRY BELL

THE BRABAZON 10TH TEE

FLAG CENTRAL

THE BELFRY TERRACE

EL BANDITO SHOWING THE BRABAZON SOME LOVE

BELFRY 10TH TEE NOTICE

BRABAZON COURSE - VIEW ACROSS 18TH AND 9TH GREENS

BRABAZON FIRST TEE

WATCH OUT FOR THE WINDOW!

GREAT TECHNIQUE RIGHT THERE :)

BELFRY GOLF ACADAMY, FITTING CENTRE AND DRIVING RANGE

BRABAZON 3RD FAIRWAY

SOME LOCAL RESIDENTS - AWWW SO CUTE

Last edited:
Course looks great! Sounds like a great time was had!

This is so awesome. I need to go over there again soon.

I don't know why, but your recap threads always put the biggest smile on my face.

Course looks to be in great shape, loved watching that ryder cup on tv!

What a fantastic couple of days. From far and wide they came, played, laughed and played some more! Huge credit to Tom 'Carlsberg Boy' 'The Dane' Simonsen, whom having flown into London on Saturday, overnighted at Casa Bandito before coming up to the Belfry on Sunday. He was dropped back to Birmingham airport on Monday afternoon, to fly to Copenhagen, from where a three hour wait was to be followed by a four hour train journey...ETA at home 0400. That is 'making an effort'!
Other tales of 'daring-do'...
At least two of our number were carrying leg injuries, but did not hesitate to load up their trolley and walk both courses. Good work Crag Rat and Tom.
Two of the boys have been there, done it and bought the t shirt. Age is no barrier, I hope I'm fit enough to walk the courses at your age! Well done nameless old fellas!
Dirk St Moritz. The trolley may not have been man enough to get around the Brabazon. You were. Good work! (Although the look on your face as you climbed that last hill will live with me for ever!)
Doctor. You must learn. Pounding your 3 wood 20 yards (sometimes 200 yards!) past my driver is just rude! Stop it. A second day score beginning with 4 is a superb performance. Brilliant work! It was great to meet you and I look forward to playing with you again.
Crag Rat. The bunker trick shot routine was incredible. I know it takes an enormous amount of skill to hit the ball back over your own head while making it look like you were going for the green. To do it again and again....just magic! When not entertaining me, the golf was excellent, that drive over the dogleg on the PGA was a cracker.
Crag Rat, Rob. Talk me through the decision process. Big weekend at the Belfry? Sounds like the perfect opportunity to test drive new drivers. Off we go! Brave play my friends!
David L. Next time you are going for the window, you need to keep your core over the ball. A more penetrating flight will get you clean through the window with a satisfying crack, rather than a booming rebound. Well done for making Tom and Crag Rat wet themselves though....
Burgerbudge, Rob. It was reported to be a ding dong battle for the cup, with Rob hauling in an overnight lead of 5 shots before Burgerbudge put together a string of pars on the back 9. Winning the Cup and actually hit your approach on 18 into the Proshop really shows a little style.
Bully. A blind recovery from the rough onto the green was a brilliant shot. The fact that we were still putting out simply ensured you had an audience! Bill for cleaned boxer shorts on its way! Only kidding, it was a pure accident and miles away from us. The golf shirts are fantastic and mine will be worn with pride for years to come. well done fella!
Before somebody else does it; Bandito, congratulations on the invention of the new club, the water wedge! A conservative strategy with the yellow ball does NOT mean hit it into every stream, brook, pond and lake on the course. Losing two yellow balls on consecutive shots with a wedge in your hand quite simply beggars belief. Muppet. Note to all hackers. If drawn with Bandito, bring sub-aqua gear.
The "UK THP Formation Drinking Team". Excellent work. Particular credit to Martin. It takes real style to gently snore in your chair, wake up, demand a Baileys and ice (yes, a Baileys and Ice) call everyone 'a lightweight' before gently subsiding into the land of nod again. To do it every 15 minutes for two hours shows it was no fluke....Sam, an impressive display, both in terms of volume and variety of consumption. Getting dressed in the dark may however have been a mistake.
Champ. Mr BurgerBudge, Sir. It was no accident that you were sat next to the 'evil one' at dinner. It was no mistake that you got fined more than anyone else. It was no mistake that your fines were on the larger side. I felt sure the odds could be evened out by Sambuca. You smiled, took the fines and triumphed. Fantastic work!
MAV281. What can I say. You are a legend. Making the booking. Sourcing the cup. Sourcing the prizes. Fantastic work. A brilliant back nine on Monday too. Stiffing those irons time and time again. Nearest the pin was a formality the way you were hitting those.

To everyone who made the effort to come. thank you guys. I loved every second...well maybe not the first 30 minutes of day 2. To any out there pondering the next trip, DO IT! You will have a blast. Sign up to the Albatross Club, get your cap and join the family!

Tapping away!

What a fantastic couple of days. From far and wide they came, played, laughed and played some more! Huge credit to Tom 'Carlsberg Boy' 'The Dane' Simonsen, whom having flown into London on Saturday, overnighted at Casa Bandito before coming up to the Belfry on Sunday. He was dropped back to Birmingham airport on Monday afternoon, to fly to Copenhagen, from where a three hour wait was to be followed by a four hour train journey...ETA at home 0400. That is 'making an effort'!
Other tales of 'daring-do'...
At least two of our number were carrying leg injuries, but did not hesitate to load up their trolley and walk both courses. Good work Crag Rat and Tom.
Two of the boys have been there, done it and bought the t shirt. Age is no barrier, I hope I'm fit enough to walk the courses at your age! Well done nameless old fellas!
Dirk St Moritz. The trolley may not have been man enough to get around the Brabazon. You were. Good work! (Although the look on your face as you climbed that last hill will live with me for ever!)
Doctor. You must learn. Pounding your 3 wood 20 yards (sometimes 200 yards!) past my driver is just rude! Stop it. A second day score beginning with 4 is a superb performance. Brilliant work! It was great to meet you and I look forward to playing with you again.
Crag Rat. The bunker trick shot routine was incredible. I know it takes an enormous amount of skill to hit the ball back over your own head while making it look like you were going for the green. To do it again and again....just magic! When not entertaining me, the golf was excellent, that drive over the dogleg on the PGA was a cracker.
Crag Rat, Rob. Talk me through the decision process. Big weekend at the Belfry? Sounds like the perfect opportunity to test drive new drivers. Off we go! Brave play my friends!
David L. Next time you are going for the window, you need to keep your core over the ball. A more penetrating flight will get you clean through the window with a satisfying crack, rather than a booming rebound. Well done for making Tom and Crag Rat wet themselves though....
Burgerbudge, Rob. It was reported to be a ding dong battle for the cup, with Rob hauling in an overnight lead of 5 shots before Burgerbudge put together a string of pars on the back 9. Winning the Cup and actually hit your approach on 18 into the Proshop really shows a little style.
Bully. A blind recovery from the rough onto the green was a brilliant shot. The fact that we were still putting out simply ensured you had an audience! Bill for cleaned boxer shorts on its way! Only kidding, it was a pure accident and miles away from us. The golf shirts are fantastic and mine will be worn with pride for years to come. well done fella!
Before somebody else does it; Bandito, congratulations on the invention of the new club, the water wedge! A conservative strategy with the yellow ball does NOT mean hit it into every stream, brook, pond and lake on the course. Losing two yellow balls on consecutive shots with a wedge in your hand quite simply beggars belief. Muppet. Note to all hackers. If drawn with Bandito, bring sub-aqua gear.
The "UK THP Formation Drinking Team". Excellent work. Particular credit to Martin. It takes real style to gently snore in your chair, wake up, demand a Baileys and ice (yes, a Baileys and Ice) call everyone 'a lightweight' before gently subsiding into the land of nod again. To do it every 15 minutes for two hours shows it was no fluke....Sam, an impressive display, both in terms of volume and variety of consumption. Getting dressed in the dark may however have been a mistake.
Champ. Mr BurgerBudge, Sir. It was no accident that you were sat next to the 'evil one' at dinner. It was no mistake that you got fined more than anyone else. It was no mistake that your fines were on the larger side. I felt sure the odds could be evened out by Sambuca. You smiled, took the fines and triumphed. Fantastic work!
MAV281. What can I say. You are a legend. Making the booking. Sourcing the cup. Sourcing the prizes. Fantastic work. A brilliant back nine on Monday too. Stiffing those irons time and time again. Nearest the pin was a formality the way you were hitting those.

To everyone who made the effort to come. thank you guys. I loved every second...well maybe not the first 30 minutes of day 2. To any out there pondering the next trip, DO IT! You will have a blast. Sign up to the Albatross Club, get your cap and join the family!

Tapping away!

Some great reflections on a great trip away. Thanks for those thoughts, Stu.

My blind 4 iron, from behind a tree, needing a draw, from 190 yards away was not expecting to get anywhere near the green and so I can only apologise that it nearly hit you. It was probably my only good shot of that day. You're all very welcome for the shirts, hope you all enjoy them and wear them regularly.

I second all your thanks and congratulations above and the funniest moment award has to go to David L. There he is, challenging Crag Rat to a chipping competition on the practice area before the round on the Brabazon course and the yellow flag on the practice green is selected. David has a couple of practice swings, sets himself and the audience hushes as David makes his swing. With ease and grace, David shanks his chip out right and the ball flies straight towards the Academy building. Fortunately for David, It appears the Belfry have prepared for such an event and have purchased toughened glass for their windows because as the ball cannons off of the window, no damage has been caused. Both Burgerbudge and I winced as the ball hit the window and then couldn't help but smirk afterwards before leaving David to continue his challenge with Crag Rat.

Funny.

Another special shout to Tom. As we all said at the time, making a trip all the way from Denmark to play in this event is indeed a fantastic effort and we hope you enjoyed your stay, sir. I hope to certainly see you again.

Bully out.

It’s honestly difficult to know where to begin with this particular recap. The last couple of days seem to have been a bit of a blur for me (partly Sambuca induced), but in the best possible ways and I know that everyone who was involved in the event feels the same way.

Some 10 or 12 weeks ago the UK THP crew, which on this occasion grew to 13 members, arranged and confirmed their second outing of 2013 which was dubbed the Spring Cup. Different locations and costs were tentatively discussed but in the end we opted to frequent one of the UK’s most prestigious and time honored locations – The Belfry Golf club in Warwickshire.

The advanced deal that we secured gave us the opportunity to play the Derby and PGA National Courses, take in the Belfry’s on site facilities and enjoy some food and accommodation as part of the very reasonably priced “all in package”. There was some disappointment from various members of the group that we would not get the chance to play the premium course at The Belfry, the 2002 Ryder Cup course we all know and love the Brabazon – but it was decided that the cost of the upgrade was unfortunately to steep.

WELL – I am pleased to report that thanks to some groveling from myself and tactical humor/playful threats from El Bandito we managed to convince the staff in the pro shop at The Belfry to allow us to pay a nominal much more acceptable fee to upgrade to the Brabazon course – WOOT great start!

Sunday therefore got started with a slightly longer and more sociable welcome/introductions session than usual as we had to accept tee times that were some 3 hours later than the original ones I had booked. Many of the lads took the opportunity to tour the grounds, get some pictures of the courses and take in the general ambiance of the venue whilst others opted to hit the range and try and work out those last minute swing issues. I must admit, The Belfry does have a special feeling about it and it’s difficult not to get excited just standing out on the terrace watching groups of golfers arrive at the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] tee and all try to hit the green in one. For those of you who don’t know what the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] tee is all about on the Brabazon, try this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEZMa1PNHg8

Eventually our tee times rolled round and we set out in our pre-selected groups which my lovely wife had randomly selected earlier in the week. The reason for these groupings was so we could play our Yellow Ball competition which basically entails each group playing a yellow ball between them across the 18 holes and the yellow ball stableford score being totted up at the end to give us a winning team. Each team was again given two yellow balls and told if they lost their first one they could “buy” the second ball for 10 Stableford points.

Now before I go any further I think I speak for all concerned when I say the Brabazon was perhaps not the easiest of courses to be playing a team game like this and this was heavily backed up by the fact that of the 8 balls I issued to the four teams I got ONE back! What’s funny is that the team that returned that yellow ball very honestly explained to everyone that this wasn’t even their yellow ball and they had found it two or three holes back! Suffice to say the Yellow Ball scores were on the lower side compared to the Winter Cup and were as follows,

-6 Points - Team Dicks: Sam Guest, David Liversedge, David Balbi (Crag Rat) and Tom Simonsen.
-3 Points – Team Seve: Stuart Lennon (El Bandito), Chris Bullock (Mav281) and Glenn Smith (The Doctor)
5 Points – Team Rose: Andy Bullock (Bully), Any Burgess (Burgrbudge) and Martin Newton.
12 Points – Team Faldo: Neville Smith, John Williams, Rob Newton

Congratulations therefore go to the members of Team Faldo who were able to hang on to their yellow balls for more holes than anyone else. Well done lads!

The second part of the golf on the first day is of course individual Stableford scores which would be added to the Stableford scores from the second days golf to give us an eventually Winner and Runner up. The overnight leader in the club house having played the Brabazon was Andy Burgess with an impressive 34 points, second was Rob Newton with 29 points and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] was Martin Newton with 25 points.

Whilst I appreciate those scores do not sound particularly amazing (and the lads know I mean no disrespect saying that), anyone that has played the Brabazon at The Belfry will be able to tell you what a monster of a course it is, and man is it hard work. I have to say though it is beautifully maintained and well-kept and was an absolute joy to play – it’s certainly a course I am very keen to have another go at in the not too distant future. The link below will give you a look at the course guide which should give you some idea of what it’s like to play.

http://www.thebelfry.co.uk/golf/the_brabazon.php?h=1

And yes we all had a go at driving the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] green. We decided in the spirit of good fun to give everyone a single mulligan if they wanted it so they could have a go at hitting the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] green. Only one of us was able to achieve that and even managed to sink the putt for a birdie so well done Rob Newton for that one!

By the time we were done with golf on Sunday and everyone was back in the club house it was gone 8.30pm and our dinner reservation was rapidly approaching. We therefore retired to rooms for showers and a change of clothes before taking in dinner at the Atrium restaurant which was very enjoyable.

Once dinner was done with El Bandito graced our table with a rather expensive bottle of Sambuca and promptly started to “fine” people for losing yellow balls, scoring too may points, not scoring enough points etc etc. Suffice to say the £100 bottle of Sambuca lasted less than 10 minutes so we retired to the lounge to continue drinking and generally enjoying one another’s company. All in all a fantastic first day.

Monday morning started bright and early as we had pre-booked tee times from 9.30am onwards. Most people arrived reasonably early for breakfast, whilst some who didn’t go to bed until 3am (apparently the single malt was too good J) joined us a little later.

With check out done and dusted we ventured out onto the PGA National which is the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] of the official courses at The Belfry. The PGA National has played host to various European Seniors and Europro Tours. It’s also one of only 3 course courses in the British Isles that is PGA Branded. As such playing the PGA National isn’t exactly settling for second best especially when it’s only 100 yards or so shorted than the Brabazon.

With the above in mind I again think I speak for all concerned when I say the Monday was extremely hard work. The PGA is both mentally and physically challenging more so than the Brabazon in places and quite honestly I found the PGA National to be as much of a challenge as well.

The golf played on the PGA National today though produced some excellent scores from various members of the group and I think anyone that managed to score 30+ Stableford points today was again doing very well. Special shout outs for The Doctor who managed to shoot 40 points, Rob Newton who shot 35 points and Burgerbudge and myself who managed to shoot 32 points and 33 points respectively. Again I must stress that this is a tough course and these were very respectable scores so well done to everyone once again.

You can get an overview of the PGA National course at the link below, so you can see what we were playing - http://www.thebelfry.co.uk/golf/pga_national.php?h=1

With all the golf over and done with we convened on the terrace one last time to enjoy a swift pint, a sandwich, and do the final results and medal presentations. The final results in the Singles Stableford competition were as follows,

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Place – Andy Burgess (Burgerbudge) – 34 + 32 = 66 points.
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Place – Rob Newton – 29 + 35 = 64 points.
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Place – Glenn Smith (The Doctor) – 22 + 40 = 62 points
4[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Chris Bullock (Mav281) – 23 + 33 = 56 points.
5[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Stuart Lennon (El Bandito) – 23 + 30 – 53 points.
6[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – David Liversedge (David L) – 22 + 30 = 52 Points.
Joint 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Andy Bullock (Bully) – 21 + 30 = 51 Points.
Joint 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Martin Newton – 25 + 26 = 51 Points.
9[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – David Balbi (Crag Rat) – 23 + 26 = 49 Points.
10[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Sam Guest – 24 + 23 = 47 Points.
Joint 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – John Williams (El Jefe) – 18 + 21 = 39 Points.
Joint 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Place – Neville Smith (Dirk St Moritz) – 13 + 26 = 39 Points.
13[SUP]th[/SUP] Place - Tom Simonsen (Carlsberg Boy) – 16 + 21 = 37 Points.

Huge congratulations for our new champion and now current holder of the THP UK Hackers Cup – Andy Burgess. Andy is now entitled to hold on to our cup until the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] outing of the year which will be held around August/September/October time. Andy make sure you update your home insurance policy to include that trophy as it’s clearly monumentally expensive and of course priceless in terms of sentimental value to the THP UK Hackers Group ;)

During the play today I also arranged for longest drive and nearest the pin competitions to go out onto the course which the Belfry were happy to accommodate us with.

The longest drive of the day was hit down the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] by Mr David Liversedge (David L). David beat out some very close competition and I am told there was little more than a yard or so in it between David L and Bully’s ball, so well done David.

The nearest the pin prize was won by none other than myself on the par 3 15th. It would appear the e6 is capable of stopping without rolling off every single green which I was most pleased to see!

My final comments before closing and leaving you with the small selection of pictures I took (loads more coming I can promise you), will simply be of thanks to everyone who came along and made the event what it was. I had a fantastic time personally, enjoying the golf, the ambiance of such a quality location and the friendship of a superb group of individuals. I very much look forward to our next trip and hope we can get an even bigger group together for that one, perhaps mixing some new faces in with the current ugly mob J

Mav out!

P.S Don’t forget guys – as we discussed last night please don’t forget to sign up the Albatross club and give your support to the forum. It’s of benefit to everyone and shows our support to the folks in the US that make this happen for all of us.

Another great analysis and well organised event.

Well done, bruv.

My blind 4 iron, from behind a tree, needing a draw, from 190 yards away was not expecting to get anywhere near the green and so I can only apologise that it nearly hit you. It was probably my only good shot of that day. You're all very welcome for the shirts, hope you all enjoy them and wear them regularly.

I second all your thanks and congratulations above and the funniest moment award has to go to David L. There he is, challenging Crag Rat to a chipping competition on the practice area before the round on the Brabazon course and the yellow flag on the practice green is selected. David has a couple of practice swings, sets himself and the audience hushes as David makes his swing. With ease and grace, David shanks his chip out right and the ball flies straight towards the Academy building. Fortunately for David, It appears the Belfry have prepared for such an event and have purchased toughened glass for their windows because as the ball cannons off of the window, no damage has been caused. Both Burgerbudge and I winced as the ball hit the window and then couldn't help but smirk afterwards before leaving David to continue his challenge with Crag Rat.

Brilliant! That 4 iron was a beauty. We were never in any danger, we were a long way up the green, no apology necessary!

Brilliant! That 4 iron was a beauty. We were never in any danger, we were a long way up the green, no apology necessary!

Still, even if it didn't nearly hit you, I should have waited.

Although we all tried to hit the green on the 10th and only one succeeded, did anyone see me try this whilst we were waiting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBOyfe3M4Jw

Shot! Nicely done

The window moment ruined me, well that's my excuse anyway! Was pretty funny and he continued to pepper the Academy for several minutes although no more glass moments! He did beat me overall though, as did most if the rest of you so I'll shut up and go back to looking for my sunglasses at the bottom of that bunker!!
Music starts to play quietly and the smoke drifts up....

The window moment ruined me, well that's my excuse anyway! Was pretty funny and he continued to pepper the Academy for several minutes although no more glass moments! He did beat me overall though, as did most if the rest of you so I'll shut up and go back to looking for my sunglasses at the bottom of that bunker!!
Music starts to play quietly and the smoke drifts up....

It was very funny. It was his face afterwards though, just makes me chuckle thinking about it now.

I honestly don't remember seeing your sunnies at all. If they do however turn up, I'll let you know and we'll get them back to you.

Suspect I left them on the table after the round, not expensive but black with graphite/carbon frame all in a hard case. Not to worry these things happen and glad you asked about them rather than my sand exploits!

Suspect I left them on the table after the round, not expensive but black with graphite/carbon frame all in a hard case. Not to worry these things happen and glad you asked about them rather than my sand exploits!

Would you have been better off with a bucket and spade too?

Would you have been better off with a bucket and spade too?
In fairness to him, he did try most of the bunkers on the PGA course....and there's a lot of them! Not satisfied with that he decided to go for a really deep one, next to the par 3 green with the tucked pin. Just to make it more interesting, he put it under the lip. It was like trying to hit it up the North face of the Eiger.

Hey I think I was on to JCB's and excavators! I thought I'd struck oil at one point!

In fairness to him, he did try most of the bunkers on the PGA course....and there's a lot of them! Not satisfied with that he decided to go for a really deep one, next to the par 3 green with the tucked pin. Just to make it more interesting, he put it under the lip. It was like trying to hit it up the North face of the Eiger.

And when he says most he's right, 13 bunker shots out of 92 in total, off to play Lytham on Thursday, which makes the PGA bunkers look tame, OMG!!

And when he says most he's right, 13 bunker shots out of 92 in total, off to play Lytham on Thursday, which makes the PGA bunkers look tame, OMG!!
Lytham! Lucky man. Don't worry, I think that you have used up all your misses into bunkers....fairway all the way I bet.

OK so i have finally registered and I suspect i may be on here for some time!!
what a fantastic couple of days at the belfry; great courses, great golf and great company.
particular thanks to mav281 for his organisation.
Whilst the puncture on my golf buggy slowed me down, the blown cylinder head gasket was a surprise nad the last 4 holes were a real struggle. on the plus side Frau St Moritz has sanctioned a new powered trolley!! On the downside the snoring of el jefe made me think that i was sharing my twin room with a warthog operating a road drill! On day 2 i thought we were to be fined for slow play and i was not sure my near terminal case of haemorrhoids would be covered in the rule book. my yellow ball medallion is awesome and i feel that i should have got some sort of recognition for doubling my score on day 2. My 39 foot putt on the 16th with 10 feet of borrow will live with me for many a year, and the distance will probably increase each time I tell the story!
here's to the next one
Dirko

what a fantastic couple of days at the belfry; great courses, great golf and great company.
Whilst the puncture on my golf buggy slowed me down, the blown cylinder head gasket was a surprise nad the last 4 holes were a real struggle. on the plus side Frau St Moritz has sanctioned a new powered trolley!! On the downside the snoring of el jefe made me think that i was sharing my twin room with a warthog operating a road drill! On day 2 i thought we were to be fined for slow play and i was not sure my near terminal case of haemorrhoids would be covered in the rule book. my yellow ball medallion is awesome and i feel that i should have got some sort of recognition for doubling my score on day 2. My 39 foot putt on the 16th with 10 feet of borrow will live with me for many a year, and the distance will probably increase each time I tell the story!
here's to the next one
Dirko

Dirko!

1. Too much medical info.
2. Go start a new thread on introductions and announcements and say hi to everyone! You will soon have a whole new bunch of friends
3. Snoring. Rofl! Two minutes before you had told me that yesterday, the Jefe had told me the exact opposite story! You two must have taken it in turns to sleep and keep the other awake!
4. Trolley shopping! Exciting! My plug would be for a Go Kart...in fact, we might be able to do a deal on mine of you are in cost saving mode?
5. I heard the putt was 45 feet!

here's to the next one
Dirko

Welcome to the forum Dirko and glad you had a good couple of days!!

Back