jlukes Attempts to Fix His Swing

Never saw this thread, its really worked out for you. You are playing well.

Stick with your changes, bud. It takes time, but it will all soon become second nature.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Stick with your changes, bud. It takes time, but it will all soon become second nature.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I hear you, definitely just taking a week or so off. Maybe get back to practicing in two weeks and just play a round in there and get back to enjoying it.

After that, just selling everything.

I hear you, definitely just taking a week or so off. Maybe get back to practicing in two weeks and just play a round in there and get back to enjoying it.

After that, just selling everything.

Keep the beard Mitch. Everything else will fall into place.

I had the pleasure of playing with jlukes in the NE Invitational on Saturday and he really has all aspects of his game going right now. From what I saw your swing looks great off the tee and with your irons. Off the tee you were hitting it a mile and straight, irons were accurate, short game was very impressive and you were really rolling the ball well with the putter. I've been going through some swing changes and have a lot of thoughts going through my head with my driver and longer clubs. I hope eventually it clicks and I can just play golf instead of over-thinking. While it may not be official, from what I saw you ARE a single digit handicapper. Clearly all the work you have put in has paid off, keep it up man.

I had the pleasure of playing with jlukes in the NE Invitational on Saturday and he really has all aspects of his game going right now. From what I saw your swing looks great off the tee and with your irons. Off the tee you were hitting it a mile and straight, irons were accurate, short game was very impressive and you were really rolling the ball well with the putter. I've been going through some swing changes and have a lot of thoughts going through my head with my driver and longer clubs. I hope eventually it clicks and I can just play golf instead of over-thinking. While it may not be official, from what I saw you ARE a single digit handicapper. Clearly all the work you have put in has paid off, keep it up man.

You are really close to a break through. You were great working that fade off the tee!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jlukes-- I wouldn't be trying to fix nothing else cuz :D. Great job on ya golf swing :clapp:!

You are really close to a break through. You were great working that fade off the tee!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Your swing was looking smooth all weekend dude. Except for that 3 wood out of the swamp today you didn't have any really bad shots!

Time to get to work on my game. I can't decide if I wanna go with the swing I was working with on Saturday or today though... :rolleyes:

I recall this jlukes character trying to hit people on the back side of the double range at Twisted Dune the day before the AC Invitation. Dude can crush the golf ball.

I recall this jlukes character trying to hit people on the back side of the double range at Twisted Dune the day before the AC Invitation. Dude can crush the golf ball.

Yeah. I was surprised. That whole first impressions thing didn't really hold up long once he started hitting golf balls. Dude has a nice, penetrating power fade when he catches it. Which he most often does.

It's been awhile since I've updated this thread but with the season in full swing I think it's a good time to.

Here are a few 8 iron swings from my range session this morning. I am trying desperately trying to shorten my backswing. There has been a little progress, but still have a long way to go. I also feel like I might be lined up too far left and be taking the club back too far inside. I have been playing well, but I feel like I've lost a bit of distance. Anyway, gotta start somewhere.

Here are the videos of the lessons I took back in late fall

You can see just how long my back swing used to be -- crazy

[video=youtube;gOKn-dO-YPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOKn-dO-YPM[/video]

I like that last lesson Joe, something Ive been personally working on as when I get too "wristy" I chunk it more often than I like. Crazy how long your backswing used to be too! Nice work

I am beginning to worry if my left shoulder will ever be fine. Developed some tendinitis in my left shoulder back in December and it first flared up at the #grandaddy. Some days I swing without pain and other days my shoulder feels tight and week. The doctor said there is no structural damage to my rotator cuff or muscles so it is really just about pain management and limiting overuse.

Shortening my backswing can definitely help take some stress off the shoulder, but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do. I know I was fit into heavier iron shafts and when I am loose and pain free they work wonders for me. However, I was completely unaware that this shoulder injury would be a long term thing and I am now wondering if a lighter shaft would take some stress off the shoulder.

I am not saying your swing looks rors. I'm showing you where he is just after impact and were you are.
emyrajeh.jpg

Just prior to this position at the impact your shoulder were at 1pm if the target line is 12:00. That position dictated the direction of the ball.

What we see here is you hanging back because of the long back swing and drop to the inside. The club is square at impact your distance loss is due to improper hip release and should rotation through the the ball. In essence you are hitting at the ball instead of swinging through.

The left hip and left shoulder should be moving off the line as the club swing down the path and releases left. All this happens behind the ball. All this generates the power you desire.

Your back swing should be I to the right leg. You still seem to swing into your left side. Your back swing should not get much higher than you right shoulder. Do not add any additional wrist break. You're just changing the path of the club and disrupting the release portion of the swing.

Really appreciate it, Freddie. I definitely need to work on holding the wrist angle at the top of the back swing.

I can definitely feel the hanging back you are speaking of, as well - will make a conscious effort to get the weight on the right leg during the back swing and transferred to the front leg on the downswing. I started coming from the inside (eliminating my over the top move) from my previous lessons, but with that came my distance loss.

Definitely have some things to work on Freddie, and really appreciate your insight.

Walk Gary player video and how he walks out of his swing. He made a great weight transfer from right to left.

A nice thread here , and a good swing . You look very powerful and have some great driver club head speed . Looks like you pull down steep from the top like I do , but than you shallow out before impact . With that motion , you should always be in the 70's .
Looks nice . Hope you have a great season this year

Please explain how he should always be in the 70s, just curious is all.
A nice thread here , and a good swing . You look very powerful and have some great driver club head speed . Looks like you pull down steep from the top like I do , but than you shallow out before impact . With that motion , you should always be in the 70's .
Looks nice . Hope you have a great season this year

Just a pic to caution you from exaggerating the "left shoulder rotating". Some take this to mean pull it back immediately... This pic should show that's not the case... Shoulders are almost perpendicular... Left shoulder is out a little, but just be careful of pulling it way left early. Good luck!!!
ahaqe8u8.jpg

This is a good example but not the only. the shoulders can be open as long as you are working behind the ball. His hips have also fully released something the OP does not do. Having his (jlukes) shoulders in this position with his hips the position he has them will not work.
Just a pic to caution you from exaggerating the "left shoulder rotating". Some take this to mean pull it back immediately... This pic should show that's not the case... Shoulders are almost perpendicular... Left shoulder is out a little, but just be careful of pulling it way left early. Good luck!!!
ahaqe8u8.jpg

A couple others to view. Differing degrees of shoulder rotation, again, as perspective. The series of 15 shots is Harris English. Again, not saying don't, just perspective. As I continue my work toward "moving left", getting my left shoulder rotation outward is a big part for me in getting the swing down pat.
quvuzusa.jpg
adamyse7.jpg

@tadashi , he takes a nice " natural " cut at the ball .. Which I really like . And he has some tremendous club head speed. . If he can harness that , work on controlling distances and his short game . There is no reason why he can't shoot in the 70's with that speed . Speed is something that is so so hard to train , he has it .. And is doing it with a natural motion. . Sure he make some changes to help with his consistency of shots . But he has the speed .. A million online golfers would love that speed .. Just needs distance control

just what I see .. And i like it .. Nice and natural

this game isn't as hard as we make it

Heading to the range now - time to work releasing the front hi and shoulder and getting that weight going forward like the black knight!

Last edited:
Copying this into here mainly for my own reference, but to also share my progress:

My swing had gone south over the last month. So much so that I started this thread
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-before-Golf-Event-amp-You-ve-Lost-Your-Swing

However I was able to get with my instructor today and magic happened.

Ok so here it goes. Sorry in advance if this is rambling but I am just so friggen excited right now.

I have been struggling for the last month. Big hooks off the tee and either hooks or blocks with the irons. I felt lost. No amount of range time could fix me. I thought it was a grip issue, but weaking my grip only made my misses less predictable. I thought it was my ball position - that only led to fat iron shots. I was truly lost.

I went online today and noticed my instructor Jason had a slot open so I called as soon as the opened and he told me to come in at noon.

I went in just looking for him to notice something - something with my grip, my stance, my takeaway - something that caused me to go from shooting 6 rounds in the 70s to 5 rounds in the 80s. My hope was that he could find something and that I could work on it over the next few days before the trip so I'd at least get some confidence back before the weekend. Well I was wrong - I got much more than that.

Jason watched me hit some 7 irons and drivers. We then focused on the driver because that was where the biggest hooks were coming from - I am talking about launching at 4 degrees and hooking a good 30 to 40 yards. Brutal. He noticed my club path was great (about 4 degrees in to out) but I was just releasing the club/closing the face way to early. We talked about potentially weakening my grip by the results weren't there - I just felt uncomfortable. So we then talked a little about the open face draw and really nailed home the face/club path angle. We talked about getting the club face open at address (I had a tendency to close it) and going from there. Well, from there we went. He then took the Alpha out of my hand and we moved the weights to put the 7g in the toe and we bumped up the loft from 10.5 to 12.5. He said with my swing speed (averaging 112) I should be getting more than the 260 to 265 carry I was getting.

What I saw next was something I have never seen before. Bombs. Flat out bombs. Starting right and going drawing left and finishing just right of center.

8 drives
Avg Swing Speed 112 MPH
Avg Ball Speed 162.4
AVG Launch Angle 14 degrees
AVG Spin Rate 2350 degrees
AVG Carry 280.9

I have never seen launch that high. I have never seen spin that low. I have never seen such a consistent high baby draw that started about 15 yards right of target and finished 5 yards right of target. All from just focusing on hitting just an open faced draw. Just concentrated on keeping the face open at address and holding it there throughout the golf swing. Absolutely incredible.

He then moved me to my 7 iron. Had me move it forward in my stance (about halfway between my front foot and center. 5 shots, all landed within 12 feet of one another - carrying 5 yards further than I have been hitting my 7 iron all season (175 vs 170). All with a beautiful high tiny tiny draw. My jaw dropped.

Told me to hit the 3 hybrid off the deck. had me move it forward in my stance just inside my front foot. Told me to focus on the same thing - open face and hold through the swing. Boom 3 shots in a row with a high baby draw carrying 225-230 off the deck. I am just laughing at this point.

Jason was giddy. He said he saw it click with me and that I immediately understood the swing thought he was trying to give me and the results spoke for themselves. We finished up by just talking about ball position with my irons and eliminating the left side of the course. He was just about as excited for me as I was for myself.

I no longer feel like I am taking a defensive golf swing, worrying about hooking left or blocking right. I am in attack mode. Bring on The Bear Trap!!!

Back