68 degree lob wedge

ulle73

Reaction score
Handicap
anyone using a 68 degree lob wedge? or 64? How has it helpt your game? Im having trouble with those 50% swings, thought of getting a 68 degree wedge so i can make a bigger swing at it...

anyone using a 68 degree lob wedge? or 64? How has it helpt your game? Im having trouble with those 50% swings, thought of getting a 68 degree wedge so i can make a bigger swing at it...

In my opinion, it is not a good idea. Its a club that is quite difficult to use on a variety of shots and offers less versatility than other wedges. Some quick practice will have hitting the short ones well.

In my opinion, it is not a good idea. Its a club that is quite difficult to use on a variety of shots and offers less versatility than other wedges. Some quick practice will have hitting the short ones well.

I'm with him on this one. Anything with that much loft and you're more than likely just gonna be chunking and skulling the ball all over the place more than you're gonna be making any quality shots with it. I just switched back to a 60* from a 58* wedge and that's really as high as I'll ever go, personally. The only reason why I even did that was because I got tired of opening my 58* up around the green, which is mostly what I used it for anyways.

I've gone to a 60* from a 58* as well, and used to throw a 64* in the bag occasionally - with the 60* there is no need. The 64* did come in handy on tough pitches when short sided, and to be able to get more aggressive on short bunker shots, but all in all the lack of versatility, together with wanting another long club in the bag, was what made me change.

If you're going to experiment with one, I would just think of it as a trouble club around the green - it doesn't work so well with full swings for the simple reason that the harder you swing a club with that kind of loft, it doesn't go further so much as it just goes higher.

I bet I could hit myself in the face if I tried a 68* wedge.

I bet I could hit myself in the face if I tried a 68* wedge.

I bet I could hit you in the face too! (if your face was about 3 feet off of the ground and 25 yards passed the green)

You should try a 68* wedge. It's for science.

Phil's got a 64* in the bag this week. Unfortunately, he has more short game skill in one hand than I'll ever have total, so he can actually use it. I'm not good with high-lofted wedges.

I can open up my 60 if I need extra loft. Like JB said, a 68 and even a 64 degree wedge would be a bit overkill and the wedge would lose a good bit a versatility for me

I do have a 64* wedge in my bag, but I only tend to use it for those short shots where I need to get the ball up and land it softly. It always used to amaze people when I would be standing over the ball with a bunker between myself and the green and I would take a full swing, the ball would take off into orbit and land with almost no roll-out

A downside to having that much loft though is if the ball is sitting in fluffy rough you can actually go right under it and the only movement would be the ball dropping slightly lower into the rough.....believe me, I have also done that in the past as well

I have never managed to blade one yet, but despite all of the above, I am seriously considering dropping it out of the bag and replacing it with a 56 and maybe a 60 as the most lofted club is a 52 SW

I'd hit myself in the forehead...

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

I can open up my 60 if I need extra loft. Like JB said, a 68 and even a 64 degree wedge would be a bit overkill and the wedge would lose a good bit a versatility for me

No way I am going near a 68 degree wedge. I almost took out someone's kneecaps with a 60 degree once (not the club, but the line drive I hit). 68 degree would have to be so precise, I would rather open up my 60 degree more as well.

Besides how many shots would you need a 68 degree for? Only 14 clubs in the bag, I hate carrying a club that I might need maybe once, possibly twice a round.

just bought a 64 and a 68 :D looking forward to try them

I have a 64 in the bag but since I bought my 56* Niblick I haven't touched anything else.
It's phenomenol.
I'm going to buy a 42 when I go to England in August.
making chip and putts from 50 yars in has never been easier.

just bought a 64 and a 68 :D looking forward to try them

I've always wanted to try something like a 68 just for fun. I love doing flop shots. Even if I only get it in the air 80% of the time, it's still a blast. Just make sure to warn anyone that's in front of you that you're about to attempt a full shot with one so they can take cover. It sucks to be standing there thinking someone is going to pitch or chip and have the ball come rocketing at you.

Just my opinion, but for most amateurs, anything over 60-degrees is too much. Sure, with enough work you could probably learn to hit a 68, but that's time better spent on other things in my opinion.

IMHO, the bigger the swing, the bigger the margin for error. A lot of amateurs would blade and chunk the heck out of a 64/68.

I just can't see any instance where I would possibly need a 64, or even a 60. I use a 58, and it gives me all the spin I need, especially if I just open the face up a little.

I have used a 68 quite a bit, and got pretty good with it. Problem is, it just isn't needed much at all. When I had it in my bag I would use it maybe once every couple of rounds. I carry a 52, 56 and 60. I use all of them pretty regularly. 56 and 60 are my favorites.

There isn't single shot that would require a 68 wedge, not one. I use a 64 and enjoy it but it is crazy hard to hit and dial in.

I hate to say this but with your goal to become a low handicap, you better learn how to hit the 50% shots. Controlling distances should be an extreme priority and the only way to truly lower your handicap for an extended period of time.

The only thing I would ever use a wedge like that for is trick shots on the practice range or in the backyard. I imagine, into a light headwind, I could get the ball to land behind me! I switched to a 58 from a 60 lob a few years ago because it's far more versatile for my game. The only thing it doesn't do well is vertical launching flop shots from hardpan lies... which is a shot I've probably needed to hit 4 or 5 times in my life.

There isn't single shot that would require a 68 wedge, not one. I use a 64 and enjoy it but it is crazy hard to hit and dial in.

I hate to say this but with your goal to become a low handicap, you better learn how to hit the 50% shots. Controlling distances should be an extreme priority and the only way to truly lower your handicap for an extended period of time.

Agreed. If you are already having problems with wedges, adding a 64 and a 68 isn't going to help as they are generally harder to hit. Much easier to just take a 3/4 swing, choke down, etc. to control not only your distance but your trajectory. If you want to become a low handicap, you can't keep trying to find quick fixes. It's going to take a lot of practice.

However, with that said I wish you luck with the 64 and 68 degree wedges.

The only thing it doesn't do well is vertical launching flop shots from hardpan lies... which is a shot I've probably needed to hit 4 or 5 times in my life.

That's pretty lucky of you. I need to hit a shot like that probably every couple of rounds. Sometimes a couple of times.

I don't agree. Sometimes the object you have to go over calls for the ball to go pretty much straight up in the air. I had a shot about 10 yards off the green, but there was probably a 15-20 foot tree directly in front of me. I used the 68 in a full swing and landed it on the green. The 60, in this instance, would be more difficult to impossible to use.

But I agree with the premise, a 68 is in no way needed in any bag. But there are some shots that a 68 would be an ideal club. Also, I don't think the 68 is that much harder to use compared to a 60.

I agree. I've tried several 60 degrees but needed them almost never so I have been using a 58 degree, which is more than enough loft for me.

Back