Why would some top pro's NOT play the US Open ??

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
Just noticed guys like Brendan DeJong & Charles Howell are not even entered to play. Clearly, these guys have played well enough to qualify this year ... seems totally bizarre why anyone who qualifies would not take advantage of playing a major ! Do not understand this ... your thoughts ??

Maybe some unknown to the public injuries are playing a role.

I dunno. Maybe if the course doesn't set up well to their game they might see their time being more wisely spent somewhere else where they have a better chance of earning a paycheck. I don't know if that's the right answer. But it seemed feasible to me.

I would assume that those guys are not automatically qualified, regardless of how they played earlier this year. As another example, Harris English who won last week isn't in the field either. It's kind of the cost of allowing so many spots to be filled through the regional qualification method.

Just noticed guys like Brendan DeJong & Charles Howell are not even entered to play. Clearly, these guys have played well enough to qualify this year ... seems totally bizarre why anyone who qualifies would not take advantage of playing a major ! Do not understand this ... your thoughts ??

Maybe they didn't actually qualify for the US Open and that you are mistaken that they played well enough to qualify.

Here are the exemption categories:
Winners of the U.S. Open for the last ten years
Winner and runner-up from the previous year's U.S. Amateur
Winner of the previous year's Amateur Championship[5]
The previous year's Mark H. McCormack Medal winner for the top-ranked amateur golfer in the world[5]
Winners of each of Masters Tournament, Open Championship and PGA Championship for the last five years
Winners of the last three Players Championships
Winner of the current year's BMW PGA Championship
Winner of the last U.S. Senior Open
Top 10 finishers and ties from the previous year's U.S. Open
Players who qualified for the previous year's Tour Championship
The top 60 in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) as of two weeks before the start of the tournament
The top 60 in the OWGR as of the tournament date
Special exemptions selected by the USGA
All remaining spots after the second top 60 OWGR cutoff date filled by alternates from qualifying tournaments.

I would assume that those guys are not automatically qualified, regardless of how they played earlier this year. As another example, Harris English who won last week isn't in the field either. It's kind of the cost of allowing so many spots to be filled through the regional qualification method.

Yea this urks me because he was one of my picks so now I am screwed. We all know what assuming can do :angry:. Not that my two dark horse had much of a chance but you never know. I picked Harris & Russel Henly who both are Georgia Bulldogs and had a gut feeling they both would make a chunk of money. :banghead:

Pretty sure that there a lot of discussion the last couple of weeks about Charles Howell III not qualifying to be in the U.S. Open, even though he has played relatively well the last couple of months. He had some injuries the last couple of years so I have a feeling that has played into why he is not at Merion this week.

Maybe they didn't actually qualify for the US Open and that you are mistaken that they played well enough to qualify.

Here are the exemption categories:
Winners of the U.S. Open for the last ten years
Winner and runner-up from the previous year's U.S. Amateur
Winner of the previous year's Amateur Championship[5]
The previous year's Mark H. McCormack Medal winner for the top-ranked amateur golfer in the world[5]
Winners of each of Masters Tournament, Open Championship and PGA Championship for the last five years
Winners of the last three Players Championships
Winner of the current year's BMW PGA Championship
Winner of the last U.S. Senior Open
Top 10 finishers and ties from the previous year's U.S. Open
Players who qualified for the previous year's Tour Championship
The top 60 in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) as of two weeks before the start of the tournament
The top 60 in the OWGR as of the tournament date
Special exemptions selected by the USGA
All remaining spots after the second top 60 OWGR cutoff date filled by alternates from qualifying tournaments.

Chucky 3 Sticks is ranked 68th in OWGR. At one point this year, after the Shell Houston, he was ranked 54th. A couple of MC's knocked back down below 60th.

Chucky 3 Sticks is ranked 68th in OWGR. At one point this year, after the Shell Houston, he was ranked 54th. A couple of MC's knocked back down below 60th.

Wow - puts it all into perspective as to how tough it is to just qualify for a major

Don't think it's the answer to your question as they probably just didn't qualify, but I've read several places that many pros dislike playing the us open because the course is set up so tough it is often boarder line gimmicky.

I know Ben Crane isn't in it, although I don't remember the reason...

Don't think it's the answer to your question as they probably just didn't qualify, but I've read several places that many pros dislike playing the us open because the course is set up so tough it is often boarder line gimmicky.

The pros that say that are the ones that miss the cut.

Back