Cobra AMP CELL Irons Preview

Icey, I think today is our day! Have a feeling.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!
I hope your feeling is right, I have league tonight and I'd love to take them out for their maiden round!!!

Got some good work in with these irons last night. Distance wise, they are similar to what I was seeing with my DPC's. I saw a pretty good ball flight out of them, even with a little draw to it. I don't know if I was hitting the ball a little lower, didn't look like it, or if because I wasn't using a spinnier ball last night, but I was seeing a little more release with my approach shots. Not talking crazy rollout, but one thing I was accustomed to with the J40's was a ball hitting the green and usually stopping within a few feet. I would say last night I was seeing most balls hitting and stopping at about 6-10 feet from the pitch marks. Just something I'll keep an eye out for going forward. I'd still like to get a few more yards out of them, but that's nitpicking. I am also planning on checking the lengths this weekend on my bench to see if they are shorter in length from my previous irons which I think they are.

here's hoping for you Icey and BF

Got some good work in with these irons last night. Distance wise, they are similar to what I was seeing with my DPC's. I saw a pretty good ball flight out of them, even with a little draw to it. I don't know if I was hitting the ball a little lower, didn't look like it, or if because I wasn't using a spinnier ball last night, but I was seeing a little more release with my approach shots. Not talking crazy rollout, but one thing I was accustomed to with the J40's was a ball hitting the green and usually stopping within a few feet. I would say last night I was seeing most balls hitting and stopping at about 6-10 feet from the pitch marks. Just something I'll keep an eye out for going forward. I'd still like to get a few more yards out of them, but that's nitpicking. I am also planning on checking the lengths this weekend on my bench to see if they are shorter in length from my previous irons which I think they are.

Good thoughts dude. That is something to take note of.

I wonder if its the ball difference as you suspect. Let us know what happens with your normal spinnier ball.

I thought for sure you would get some extra length out of these irons Ddec. Something to keep an eye on for sure. I think some extra distance and forgiveness over my previous set is what I am expecting and looking forward to the most. I know the distance increase I saw was big indoors but it will be interesting to see home that translates to the course.

After about 5 rounds and some range time, I feel like I want to try new shafts. (I have the stock DLs)
I don't know, it's stupid, because they're playing OK, I just don't like how they feel.
But as for the distance, I am seeing probably a full club gain in mine.
Playing with Miller Time this past weekend, I hit a couple balls well longer than I thought I would. I specifically tried to go short on a couple shots because long was death, and I still ended up on the green...once on the back of it.
I'm itching to try some graphites or the new CT Lites.
Maybe I still have new club fever and will just get used to it all.

After about 5 rounds and some range time, I feel like I want to try new shafts. (I have the stock DLs)
I don't know, it's stupid, because they're playing OK, I just don't like how they feel.
But as for the distance, I am seeing probably a full club gain in mine.
Playing with Miller Time this past weekend, I hit a couple balls well longer than I thought I would. I specifically tried to go short on a couple shots because long was death, and I still ended up on the green...once on the back of it.
I'm itching to try some graphites or the new CT Lites.
Maybe I still have new club fever and will just get used to it all.

Which shafts would you change to?

Well, when the C Taper Lites were announced, that's the first thing I thought of trying. Hawk just posted that they feel 'cripser' on the kick which is one of the things I don't like in the 4 and 5 irons...I feel like the shaft is kicking well, but it feels slow and mushy. I am certainly only at 'shaft knowledge level - beginner', so I may just end up asking the experts out there what shafts they'd try out.

Have any of you even hit the Cells with the stock DL 90s in them? What did you think?

Well, when the C Taper Lites were announced, that's the first thing I thought of trying. Hawk just posted that they feel 'cripser' on the kick which is one of the things I don't like in the 4 and 5 irons...I feel like the shaft is kicking well, but it feels slow and mushy. I am certainly only at 'shaft knowledge level - beginner', so I may just end up asking the experts out there what shafts they'd try out.

Have any of you even hit the Cells with the stock DL 90s in them? What did you think?
I like the stock shafts when I was testing them, felt good, a bit too high flight for me, but a very nice feeling shaft for sure!

Wow, they look even better than I remember...
DSC04652_zps43c967bf.jpg

DSC04645_zps390e66b0.jpg

DSC04649_zps8756073c.jpg

DSC04648_zpsc59bacf6.jpg

DSC04646_zps1d15afdd.jpg

Wow, they look even better than I remember...
DSC04652_zps43c967bf.jpg

DSC04645_zps390e66b0.jpg

DSC04649_zps8756073c.jpg

DSC04648_zpsc59bacf6.jpg

DSC04646_zps1d15afdd.jpg

Awesome Howie! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on KK shafts.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Freakin sweet Howzat! Love the pics.

Erik, those grips look awesome with those shafts!

I had a nice little range session this afternoon with these. Some quick thoughts.

-These make the ball go far.
-Very "driver like" off the face.
-The Kuro Kage shafts are stout
-Did notice the cavity at address with the 6 and 7 irons.
-Very forgiving and yet I had no trouble working the ball, especially vertically.

Last edited:
Love that setup Erik! Those kk shafts look incredible.

Looking great buddy

Those look awesome Howzat.

I swung these today. I think I fell in love with these today.

I had a really solid range session today. I was hitting the heck out of the ball. I was able to swing an Amp Cell 7 and 8 iron. Loved it. I was really impressed with how well the ball traveled on my couple of miss hits. Big fan.

Definitely a big fan. I'm debating whether new irons or a new driver is more of a priority right now.

Well ya can add me to this thread. ;) I just ordered a set. Std length & loft, stock graphite reg flex, white GP gen2 tour grips, 2* flat and in blue

Looking good Erik! Love that KK shaft choice. I'll be waiting to hear what you think buddy. I bet you smoke them.

Back