Titleist Introduces Scotty Cameron Futura X Mallet Putter Preview

I'm one of the most critical out there of him but my dander is much less raised by this than some apparently.
I honestly have no idea why this bugs me so much. I think it comes from a fact that a company can progress, be unique, and offer innovations that truly do change how putters are used gets ignored. But SC gets a ton of love for being amazing and works of art, when they are just shinier versions of somebody else's hardwork.
Its not a unique shape? Sure it is. How is that not unique?
As for the taking of somebody elses ideas, I think that SC has been more guilty than most in doing this over the years, but for this one, I think its getting a bad wrap. It does not say "inspired by my innovation". Maybe he means it was inspired by someone elses innovation and perfected by him?

Does he blatantly copy? Sure does, look at the red dot.
Is this different? A little bit.
But he has had many of his own designs, the issue is that they do not sell well (outside of GoLo, which sold okay).

I know that it all comes down to money, and he makes a lot of it. Good on him. I just think he's a joke. A joke with a lot of money. So does that mean the joke's on me? It most likely does.

Looks like something from Star Trek to me lol

I just fell asleep for 2 minutes and had an awful dream. I dreamt that THP and SC teamed up for a forum testing for the Scotty Cameron Spider. And I got selected. I woke up in a cold sweat.

I agree in that it's a smart business move. But it's not a unique shape. It isn't inspired by any innovation at Scooter Labratories. It's just him, taking somebody else's idea and calling it his own.

What does it matter if it's not a unique shape? They never said it was an innovation by Scotty, simply that he worked with a PGA Tour player to come up with the design.

I really don't understand the animosity on this one.

What does it matter if it's not a unique shape? They never said it was an innovation by Scotty, simply that he worked with a PGA Tour player to come up with the design.

I really don't understand the animosity on this one.

I'm sorry. You're right. It said, inspired by innovation. He never claimed it was his innovation. But I still don't like it.

I just fell asleep for 2 minutes and had an awful dream. I dreamt that THP and SC teamed up for a forum testing for the Scotty Cameron Spider. And I got selected. I woke up in a cold sweat.
That could potentially crash the servers.

I enjoy larger putters. In a 34" length, I can see this possibly being enjoyable.

Scotty-Cameron-Futura_r265x145.jpg
images

Seems like these have gotten a lot of momentum on tour, would like to try them in person, I used to have the Futura and enjoyed it.

Not sure if I'm a fan or not.

I sure as heck don't like the look, but I'll give one a go for sure. You just never know what will work until you try it.

You act like you would even apply for that testing. We all know that wouldn't happen.

I'm a big mallet lover, JB said that it looks like I'm putting with a metal detector right now (Bettinardi BB 54) but I don't care. I want to roll this when it's available.

Im on the opposite side of the spectrum with the "copying" in this case. Scotty Cameron has a sponsored player in Adam Scott that wanted a putter designed like this. Whether it be because he liked one from another company is something only he and a select few others know for sure.

He put it in play and did very well with it. The company would be foolish not to release it.
I completely agree. I'm kind of surprised its going to be a full production, after the masters I expected a high dollar limited edition.

Which putter was released first, the Ping Wack E or TM Spider?

I like the look of this. Much better than the Spider.

I'd give it a roll and a try out. But not in a long version.

I usually like ugly putters, but this one... well...

It seems like they took a GoLo, squished it, and then had a piece of half-circle metal laying around, threw some weights on it and glued it on top.

With that said; I'd roll it.

I agree War. It looks like a hollowed out GoLo with a weight bar on the back.

As for copying other OEMs, isn't the original Futura with a weight bar in back over a decade old?

I just cant dig this style of putter. The new TM DLL is fugly. I rolled it, and it was smooth and performed well, but I just can't get past the looks. With a putter, I need it to be something I enjoy looking down at for it to give me confidence.

I agree J. I've tried them, didn't do particularly well with them, but my heart may have not been in it.

I admit it...there aren't many ugly things I want to touch 30-40 times in a day. :)

But then again, nothing's uglier than a 3-putt.

As for copying other OEMs, isn't the original Futura with a weight bar in back over a decade old?

Yup. Although high MOI putters are not new, it is hard to argue that the new Futura doesn't look exactly like the Spider.

So, the obvious... And while every company has a 'copy' of the more simple anser style..

images

Scotty-Cameron-Futura_r265x145.jpg

Blatant?

Those both look absolutely terrible.

When it comes to putting, or putters, I have no shame. Literally. I HAVE NO SHAME! I will try anything regardless of how it might look or be perceived. Long putter? I’ll give it a try. Belly? Why not. Let’s see what happens. Some of you may remember the monstrosity offered by Ping called the Doc 17. Heck, not only did I try the 17, but I gave the Doc 15 a shot as well. The ONLY thing I care about is the number in that little square at the end of the round.
Since I re-discovered golf about ten years ago I have used 45 putters. No, I’m not kidding. 45 putters! I could actually list them all if you’d like, though I can’t imagine you’d be that interested in having me do so. From Scotty Studio Stainless to the YES Groove Tube; an original Ping Anser to Hamy; etc. etc. etc. Can’t say I’ve tried them all, but I can say I’ve tried a whole bunch of them.

And it’s not just putters. I’ve taken lessons too, including one from Charley Hoffman’s swing coach at the Harmon Academy at the Rio Secco in Las Vegas. I’ve watched videos, read books, articles – the gamut really. And after it all, I’m a mediocre putter at best.

I’m an edge putter, and it drives me stark raving mad. My regular playing partners think it’s funny. I’ll have 6-8 putts a round that look good from 1-2 feet out, only to ride right over the edge of the whole. They used to say that one day they’ll start to go in, but now they know better. I can play with complete strangers, and like clockwork by the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] hole or so they’ll say something to the effect of, “Man, I’ve never seen someone come so close on so many putts.” I seldom 3-putt, but then again I seldom 1-putt either. I know if you look at my handicap you may think that I must be giving you a line. I’m not. My handicap is more a result of playing many rounds of golf and hitting a lot fairways and greens. It is not indicative of someone who can really roll the rock, because I can’t – unless rolling right over the edge of the hole counts (which it doesn’t).

I compare putting to having a kill shot in tennis. You can beat a lot of players by simply digging the ball back and give your opponent another chance to make a mistake. However, you can’t beat the really good players with that kind of game. Those players that are able to hit winners on consistent basis will always beat the person who simply can keep a rally going.

Likewise in putting, a consistent tee to green game will beat a lot of players. However, you seldom will beat the really good players that way. And the really good players are those that can make putts. These putts can either keep them in hole in which they’ve experienced trouble, or have them win holes by making birdies.

So my quest continues to find the perfect putter, which brings me to my review of Scotty Cameron’s newest offering, the Futura X. And no, this is probably not the answer for me, but it is a good putter.

As previously mentioned, I have looked down at many different putter shapes and sizes, so I didn’t find the upside down smile looking up at me from the Futura X was that off-putting. The feel of the putter is great. Very nicely balanced, and somehow striking a happy medium in weight. It looks more bulky than if feels, if that makes sense, and it does promote a nice back n’ through stroke. It pretty much swings itself if you let it. Another selling point is that unlike many mallets - and blades too for that matter - the head doesn't fall open at address which causes some manipulation just to square it up.

The roll is one of the best I’ve experienced. There’s very little – if any – bounce after contact. Off-center hits seem to roll nearly as well as those from the sweetspot. Alignment is good as well, with a center bar right behind the blade that makes lining up the ball super easy. Maybe the most difficult adjustment it’s not the putter at all, but its grip. It has a pistol grip that actually takes a little getting used to. I thought of replacing it, but I think I’ll give it a couple more rounds to see if it starts to feel more comfortable.

And the results? Honest answer is the jury is still out. I got the putter the day before our club championship. I took it out for a test drive, but was reluctant to bag it the first day of the tournament. I probably should have. After day one I was two shots out of the lead, but easily could have done better if not for missing 8 putts inside of 6 feet or so, and a couple of those were 3-footers. On the second day of the tournament I put the Futura X in the bag, and putted much better. I actually one-putted five greens on the front, but a missed 2 ½ footer for par on #9, which assured my customary 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place finish (I’ve finished 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] four years in a row to the same guy).

I’ve used it a few rounds since, and the results have been mixed. I’m still in the adjustment phase I guess. Last night I put the ball back a little bit further in my stance, and that seemed to help a lot, but as for now I’m not sure if the Futura X will become a gamer or not. If it doesn’t I assure you it won’t be because it’s not a quality putter – it is. For those who prefer mallet putters, the Futura is well worth a shot. For those who like blades, this putter is probably not for you. It is heavier than most blades, and will give you a busier look at address.

The price may also scare some away. It lists for $349, but I got mine for about $300 off Ebay. That may seem expensive to some, and I suppose it is, but I paid $399 for my driver, and I only use that on about 8 holes per round. The putter I use every hole, sometimes to excess.

The price may also scare some away. It lists for $349, but I got mine for about $300 off Ebay. That may seem expensive to some, and I suppose it is, but I paid $399 for my driver, and I only use that on about 8 holes per round. The putter I use every hole, sometimes to excess.

That's a great point, that many who criticize the price of higher end putters, seem to ignore.

I would still love to roll one of these. I might dig around and see if I can find one on the cheap to play around with.

Not sure if anyone noticed this but I just saw that Duffner is now playing a Futura X with a 17" SuperStroke grip. Saw that tonight while watching a replay of today's round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship. Not exactly helping him on the leader board, but I thought that was an interesting move for Duff.

I actually decided to put a 17" SuperStroke on mine to help give it a little more counter weighting.

I did indeed notice Duf's new putter. I suspect it is one of the dual balance FX models given how he was gripping it. I think I'm gonna have to give some of the dual balance Scotty's a roll when they turn up in stores.

Back