Do You Live In A Glass House?

Diane

Reaction score
I am not without fault on the golf course, yet I will complain about others. That being said, I have found myself doing the following:
  • Take too long to look for a lost ball.
  • Walk in someone's line because I didn't see their marker.
  • Talk/sneeze/bang my clubs together when someone is going to hit.
  • Not replace a divot because I couldn't find it.
  • Lay the flagstick too close to someone's putting line.
I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. What about you guys? Are you really as perfect as your posts would imply?

Not me. I try to be courteous and have good etiquette but sometimes mess up. Happens to everyone from time to time.

Not me I'm a perfect angel 100 percent of the time 60 percent of the time.

Not me. I was voted boy with best etiquette. :angel:

Everyone commits the occasional faux pas, but that's to be expected.

But overall, I move around a course very efficiently and I "take care of business". I always rake traps, fix ballmarks (mine as well as several others), and I'm always aware of other people and how I interact with them. My father taught me all of the "finer points" of golf and I learned all about putting lines, flagsticks, shadows, coughs and a host of other things long before I could even hit a ball consistently. He made sure that I understood the etiquette and the manners of the game and that I practiced them, otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to play.

Today, aside from the occasional "colorful metaphor" after a particularly gruesome effort, most people wouldn't even know I was there (but the flag finds its way back into the cup, their forgotten wedge ends up in their hands and the green looks better than when we arrived)

(Hmm, just who was that bald-headed Polack?)

-JP

If I don't focus, I'm apt to move during someone's putt. It's particularly fun when I catch myself mid-motion and try to freeze in some awkward pose.

Yeah, I have probably been guilty of all those items you listed, plus a few more. Probably sure everyone else has too at one time or another. I try to do my best, but no one is perfect.
I am not without fault on the golf course, yet I will complain about others. That being said, I have found myself doing the following:
  • Take too long to look for a lost ball.
  • Walk in someone's line because I didn't see their marker.
  • Talk/sneeze/bang my clubs together when someone is going to hit.
  • Not replace a divot because I couldn't find it.
  • Lay the flagstick too close to someone's putting line.
I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. What about you guys? Are you really as perfect as your posts would imply?

I try hard not to, but am sure I've been guilty of all and more of these things. But, very few of these bother me when someone else does it. It drives me nuts when people won't fix their divots or let's their trash blow out, (about the only times I will get in their face), and slow people who clearly will not allow anyone to play through. Kind of bugs me when someone steps on my line, not that big a deal.

I try hard not to, but am sure I've been guilty of all and more of these things.

Duey - There are a hundred threads about what bothers us. This is only about your faults so I fixed your post.

I am definitely guilty of looking too long for a lost ball. I mean that is 3 dollars laying around there somewhere. Even if I can't hit it, I still want to find it. Especially if it is early in the round. If my opening tee shot is lost I will spend WAY too much time looking for it. Mainly because that ball has only been hit once.

I occasionally talk during someones swing by accident.

Other than that I am pretty good.

Duey - There are a hundred threads about what bothers us. This is only about your faults so I fixed your post.

Thank You!

I try to be faultless, but I know that I'm not. I'm prone to forget about people playing and walk ahead clanking clubs and sometimes right in front of them so they shout at me to move. I always try to repair my divots and my ball marks, although occasionally I can't find them (or retrieve them). I think that's about it, but I'm not great at introspection either.

I try to be faultless, but I know that I'm not. I'm prone to forget about people playing and walk ahead clanking clubs and sometimes right in front of them so they shout at me to move.

You're not alone in that, but I'm curious how it happens. Are you so focused on your game that you forget what else is going on? You definitely didn't seem like you were ditzy to me.

You're not alone in that, but I'm curious how it happens. Are you so focused on your game that you forget what else is going on? You definitely didn't seem like you were ditzy to me.

main thing I remember is walking down the first hole while you and your friend were playing and I was quite a way ahead of you on the left, but still walking. You probably didn't notice, but I shouldn't have been walking. I think I get buried in what's happening to me and forget about what other people are doing. I don't like it when other people do that sort of thing, so I feel bad when I realise that I'm doing it.

main thing I remember is walking down the first hole while you and your friend were playing and I was quite a way ahead of you on the left, but still walking. You probably didn't notice, but I shouldn't have been walking. I think I get buried in what's happening to me and forget about what other people are doing. I don't like it when other people do that sort of thing, so I feel bad when I realise that I'm doing it.

Since you were quite a ways ahead - you had nothing to fear. I attributed that the fact that you're used to playing with people who are better golfers than we are so it took time to adjust to our groove.

I "walk ahead" sometimes if I think that my ball may be hard to find or if I've hit into another fairway and I want to make sure the Zombies don't pick it up.

I think of it as being efficient - especially if I'm in another fairway because I may either be able to play it back into my fairway before the group on the other fairway gets close to it or, failing that, I'll at least be ready to play when the opportunity presents itself. If I'm thinking of walking ahead, I'll usually tell the group I'm playing with and then I'll discreetly walk along the margin of the hole.

To me, that makes more sense than waiting for everyone to hit and then walking along with them only to then begin either searching for my ball (or protecting it from the Zombies), because that just wastes a lot of time or the Zombies may have already struck.

So basically, walking ahead is a good thing, not a rude thing. It would only be rude if I did it all the time as if I didn't care about anyone else in the group.

-JP

I "walk ahead" sometimes if I think that my ball may be hard to find or if I've hit into another fairway and I want to make sure the Zombies don't pick it up.

I think of it as being efficient - especially if I'm in another fairway because I may either be able to play it back into my fairway before the group on the other fairway gets close to it or, failing that, I'll at least be ready to play when the opportunity presents itself. If I'm thinking of walking ahead, I'll usually tell the group I'm playing with and then I'll discreetly walk along the margin of the hole.

To me, that makes more sense than waiting for everyone to hit and then walking along with them only to then begin either searching for my ball (or protecting it from the Zombies), because that just wastes a lot of time or the Zombies may have already struck.

So basically, walking ahead is a good thing, not a rude thing. It would only be rude if I did it all the time as if I didn't care about anyone else in the group.

-JP

Agree entirely. I meant more that on occasion if my ball is in the left semi-rough say, I'll walk all the way up to it even if there is someone playing from the left side of the fairway 50 yards before it. I do it entirely by accident, but it's a little rude I think. If I was going towards trees or other fairways or somewhere where I didn't know the ball was, I'd go ahead and look. If I'm paying attention I'll stop while the other person is playing. If I'm not, I'll keep walking and that's the thing I don't like doing.

I'm guilty of that too.

Im guilty of sometimes not putting my divots back, thats about it though.

I'm a talker, so that sometimes gets me in trouble.

Kevin

Not me. I try to be courteous and have good etiquette but sometimes mess up. Happens to everyone from time to time.
What Smallie said.

Think you have me figured out?

Kevin

Assuming what you post is what we get - to some degree yes. If you have an online persona that you play like a couple of other people here do, then sort of.

Back