Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
My new handicap came through a few days back - for the first time since before high school (which I started 42 yrs back) my handicap is over 4 (4.1). At my best it peaked around +1.5, and has pretty much hovered between 1 and 3 since I turned 50 6 years ago. This is the first year I can remember that I have not shot a round in the 60's, and actually par 72 is becoming a near unreachable goal rather than the norm of a decent round. All of this boils down to the fact that I am about 5 shots per 18 worse than I was at my best, and 2 worse than just 2 years ago.

This brings on the question - is there a point of game deterioration where it becomes not enjoyable to play golf? Or at least a point where it would be easy to walk away from golf? I do everything nearly as well as ever, just with slightly less consistency, and the ability to focus is a stretch-of-holes thing rather than an entire-round thing. The difference of 2 shots a round is small - it is a birdie op not converted and a failure to get up and in from the fringe. I used to be an avid competitive, tournament golfer, and have transitioned to more of a recreational golfer. But I wonder sometimes how much deterioration it would take to move on to other pursuits.

SAM - My father is 78 and his handicap went from a 10 to an 17 over the past two years - mostly due to ill health. He's not thrilled, but his attitude is that he's alive and playing golf. He traded in his blades this Summer for cavity backs and has made adjustments in his course management. He told me that a lot of the old guys he plays with and by old I mean in their 70's and 80's have found it more difficult - refusing to move to the senior tees or use a different club so they become more frustrated. I think it depends on what playing a round means to you.

My new handicap came through a few days back - for the first time since before high school (which I started 42 yrs back) my handicap is over 4 (4.1). At my best it peaked around +1.5, and has pretty much hovered between 1 and 3 since I turned 50 6 years ago. This is the first year I can remember that I have not shot a round in the 60's, and actually par 72 is becoming a near unreachable goal rather than the norm of a decent round. All of this boils down to the fact that I am about 5 shots per 18 worse than I was at my best, and 2 worse than just 2 years ago.

This brings on the question - is there a point of game deterioration where it becomes not enjoyable to play golf? Or at least a point where it would be easy to walk away from golf? I do everything nearly as well as ever, just with slightly less consistency, and the ability to focus is a stretch-of-holes thing rather than an entire-round thing. The difference of 2 shots a round is small - it is a birdie op not converted and a failure to get up and in from the fringe. I used to be an avid competitive, tournament golfer, and have transitioned to more of a recreational golfer. But I wonder sometimes how much deterioration it would take to move on to other pursuits.

You know, I think the whole "deterioration" thing is overblown. We hear all the time about pros who "lose their edge" as they reach and surpass fifty years of age. For the pros, fifty may indeed be a turning point but don't forget that they have been playing "all golf, all the time" for at least thirty years and each of those years was at the highest level. But in the amateur world, we don't play nearly the amount of golf nor do we have to live the game as much as the pros, so I think that "deterioration" is something we buy into rather than actually experience.

I sounds to me like you just miss competitive golf and that playing "for" something was what got you out of bed and nowadays it's harder to get "up" for the game like you used to. But now that you're not playing at the competitive level you're to which you've become accustomed that's not a reason to quit loving the game.

I don't believe that there is some kind of switch that gets tripped at a certain age as much as I believe that we respond to a more subliminal message from the media telling us that "over fifty is over the hill" when it comes to golf. I'm fifty one and I'm still as passionate about this game as I was when I was twenty one.

If your enjoyment of the game requires that you still dip into the sixties from time to time, then you either need a reason to "get there" (competition or personal best -- how 'bout the Senior Amateur?), or perhaps you simply need to adjust your sights and settle for something in the low seventies. Granted, we all lose a step as we get older, but I think it's more in our minds than in our abilities, especially with a game like golf. If I were an aging football player, then yes, I wouldn't be looking forward to getting tackled by anyone at my age.

But golf? Golf's an "old man's sport", remember?

So start acting your age and get out there and knock some flagsticks down!

-JP

It would be extremely hard for me to second guess anyone with a 4.1 handicap, but I understand what it's like to be getting a little older and not have quite the same results I did at another point in time. As far as coming to a point in time where it's not enjoyable may be a very personal situation, but you mentioned something that has me wondering if your not just in a different mode.

"I used to be an avid competitive, tournament golfer, and have transitioned to more of a recreational golfer."

I find playing in more special events and competitions has helped my game a bunch. I find a level of concentration that I don't have otherwise and take back to my casual game afterwards. If I go a while without competition I seem to get back into that rut.

Just my .02 cents

I find playing in more special events and competitions has helped my game a bunch. I find a level of concentration that I don't have otherwise and take back to my casual game afterwards. If I go a while without competition I seem to get back into that rut.

Just my .02 cents

You strengthen muscles by fighting against resistance. I think competition has the same effect on one's game.

Age has frustrated me a bit this year. I played my best in my twenties when my 'cap was around 2. Then for many years I played between 6 and 9. The last two years I've played between 4 and 6. I'm 48. While I'm scoring better than in the past, I qualify that because I now mostly play from 6,400 to 6,500 yards because I have lost some distance. Though my scores are better, I find myself disappointed on occasion, as I can't picture myself hitting the ball far enough to play longer courses and score well. To be honest, my own game leaves me feeling a bit hollow knowing that I'm only going to get older, and most likely shorter.

I do not picture myself ever giving up the game, but I feel your pain. I now live vicariously through my 12 year old daughter, I'm sure people here are getting tired of hearing about her, as she has great potential. She has far more game than I did at 12. I'm hoping her future accomplishments take the sting out of me getting older.

Kevin

I hope I didn't imply I was near the quitting stage - far from it. And golf is still a connection to my youth - I have my days when things get rolling and I hit some 300 yarders, and my iron yardages are right there with touring pros of today. I do still love the competition - my body just doesn't co-operate and rarely allows me to play several consecutive days effectively. I played one event this summer, and finished 7th in a strong senior field, and that with just 4 one putts in 2 days.

I still love the being outdoors aspect of golf - it makes my day as much these days to see the eagles that fish our large lake as it does to make an eagle. Add the camaraderie of a group of guys that gather for the Saturday 'Big Game' - it's worth the trip for the trash talk before we play. Add to that the golf course, which was always a great layout but now has conditioning to match. I play every Saturday with a guy who is 72, who has shot under par more than me this year - and nearly every week he shows up with some new club or putter, trying to improve. Mostly I was wondering if there is a point at which all of that might not be enough.

My personal opinion is that anyone can have fun playing golf at any age and any skill level. If you feel like you won't have as much fun, or be as competitive, with your game slipping just a little, maybe you could look at your goals and expectations. Maybe you used to go out and expect to shoot even. If you can't do regularly anymore, maybe if you go out with the goal of shooting a 75 it will be more fun since you won't be disappointed from failing to meet your own expectations. It just sounds to me like you are bummed out because you can't shoot even or better as often so it isn't as much fun anymore.

My Dad played almost every day when he retired. He got to the point where he couldn't play as well as he used to and started to not play as much. Then he had the attitude that he was fortunate that he could play and enjoyed it and enjoyed being with his friends so he didn't care what he shot. He loved playing and once he didn't let anything get to him, he had a lot more fun.

My handicap has been creeping higher over the past years, at about a 1/2 stroke a year. I can still play better than my handicap might suggest, but not as often as I use to. I am sure age probably factors into it. I am still in reasonably good physical shape for my age, but I have lost some distance off the tee. I could stand to lose some weight to maybe gain back some lost flexibility. However, I think the biggest reason why my handicap is rising is because over a given year, I will play many different courses that are new to me. I probably played 15 to 20 new courses this year. For me it is hard to play to my handicap on courses I have never played before. When I was younger playing the same near by courses every few days or so, my handicap did not suffer.

So I have to say age, and golf road trips are taking it's toll on my handicap.

Will I ever just lose interest and walk away from the game? Absolutely not. Besides, in a few more years I will be shooting my age, while still playing well. I want to be that real old guy who hits everything short, but down the middle, getting a few pars, and maybe a few birdies while my younger, longer playing partners are carding higher scores.

My personal opinion is that anyone can have fun playing golf at any age and any skill level.

Yup! And if the fun's over he should quit. I started at the age of 53. I'm now 54. My handicap went from 33 to 28. I'm having the time of my life right now. Sure wish I had started earlier though. The minute anything stops being fun...I quit. Except my job. I read this a lot in post by guys who have played for years. Wondering if they should quit. I'd say put the bag away and see what happens. You should get an answer.

ask Tom Watson :D

Hey Slammin': Have you shot your age yet? If not, it would seem that you have a chance! That might keep you going for a bit longer....

Let's see - I shot 79 today, so if I can just shave 23 off that I can match my age!

Let's see - I shot 79 today, so if I can just shave 23 off that I can match my age!

:laughing: I know huh! I bet I could shoot my age on nine holes though! :D

Ooops! I didn't realize how young you were! I will give you another 2 strokes of 'game deterioration', thus another 25 years of something to strive for! Enjoy! :thumb:

Back