Favorite Finish On Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With so many companies putting out different finishes now, I wanted to see what you guys thought of as your favorite. Some examples are

Oil Can/Copper
Satin
Chrome
Raw
Black Nickel
Black Pearl
And so many more.

My personal thoughts are that I love the oil can wedges, especially when they rust over, but recently grew slightly tired of the look and have preferred the gunmetal or darker finishes.

Cleveland used to have the tour satin chrome (not sure if they still do). That is the one I prefer. The black nickle finish that Mizuno has would be a close second. Anything that doesn't have a glare is fine with me though. If you open up a chrome wedge at the wrong angle you might not see for a few holes.

As long as its not "shiny." I had an old Cleveland 588 wedge that had just the right level of rust/patina.

I've always liked the black pearl/black nickel look. The oil can finish is awesome but I'm afraid to hit it and mess up the finish!

I like a satin finish.

I tried the "oil can" finish once but I didn't like it. It made the club seem too "special" as if it had to be swung a certain way or was in some way unique or different and I didn't like that feeling and that idea got stuck in my head too often. Rust is different because I regard rust as a natural thing. But to make a club look rusty (like an oil can finish) makes it seem special and I don't like that.

I don't like any club to seem special. I like to think of it as just another tool in the box and a satin finish makes it feel like just another club, which is fine by me.

-JP

I have played all types of wedges and really have no preference other than no glare but if I had to pick one black nickel/pearl looks the sharpest.

i have the black pearl finish on my CG14s but i might try the oil can when i upgrade to the CG15s.

My current wedges have a smoked chrome finish, which is just OK. I like the look of the black nickel and black pearl finishes out there. Is the black pearl finish durable? I thought I read here that the BP finish wears off pretty quickly. Sounds like black nickel would be more durable.

it does seem to wear off quite quickly on the Cleveland wedges.

The Bridgestone Black nickel does not wear off at all and they are gorgeous. The Nickent Gunmetal finish really does not wear off for a while either and it is quite nice also.

I like this finish, but then again I like several.

IMG_0257Medium.jpg

IMG_0258Medium.jpg

And this...

IMG_0061Medium.jpg

I really do like the black nickle, but then again I'm also a sucker for anything camo.

I don't care what a club's finish is, as long as it helps me put the ball in, or one putt distance from the hole. Good sun glasses take care of any of the sun's reflecting glare. No preference what so ever.

I prefer the darker finishes too. The black pearl or black sain kinda look. I too noticed that the finish on my Cleveland CG14's seems to be coming off pretty fast.

I really do like the black nickle, but then again I'm also a sucker for anything camo.

Me too and I will have some of the Cleveland Camo before it's all said and done.

Black nickel is my favorite finish on all clubs. But finish is far behind performance.

I prefer the smoke/charocal satin type finishes on wedges. Not only do they reduce glare, but I think the finish looks nice. I am guessing that the black nickel also reduces glare.

I am like you JB I liked the oil can for years. I own a bunch of them. But now I am drawn more to the black nickel.

I really like the black pearl finish.

Besides the Camo?

I like how my Oil Can looks but I still dont think you can beat the black pearl finish.

Chrome. Its more of a protective finish than the others, so the grooves dont wear out as fast.
Some people say they dont like the glare you get with chrome on open-faced shots, but Ive never had a problem with that.

Thought I would bump this one up since we have so many newer members.

Black nickel is what I like.

i currently have the black pearl, but i really like the black satin.

I saw those Callaway Jaws wedges in a black finish, I guess they call it "vintage", looked awesome.

Back