Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I actually set mine up what would appear to be a bit closed to many (and I'm a hooker from way back) because of exactly what you said. The contact and flight is SO much better for me.

Mark: this is not an issue I have experienced. My miss tends to be a tug left which I don't think closing will help, haha.

FWIW, wish I could shoot back to back 74's with struggling a bit. Power of the Altitudes!! And you. :)

uh... excuse me sir, but that was back to back 73's. :)

Hard to argue with the results. I don't really see forgiveness being an issue with my current mizzies but the legend of the altitudes keep growing! Would've been great if I could've played one of the bonus rounds with them but I'm still optimistic I'll get a chance to at some point. I hit illinimick's for a bit at the range but unfortunately there were groups behind us so I couldn't play an extra ball here and there to get some on course impressions.

"Demo" tuesday :banana:

Just a demo, only a demo, not a "fitting", no sir, not a fitting, no way, just a demo....:devil:

I'm curious if any other Altituders have had a similar experience to mine.

Yesterday I went out to the range because I wasn't completely happy with how I hit my hyrons this past weekend at the THP Inv. at Branson. I was pretty solid 50 and in, but I hit some pretty serious scuzz-bombs with my #7 & #8 from 155+. Anyway, while on the range I wasn't getting the consistency I like, so just for grins I tried to close the club face a degree or two at address. Wow, what a difference that made. I went through the entire bag and was hitting 'em all nothing but high and straight. After work I went out to the course for about an hour and hit various approach shots. Same thing. In fact, I started by dropping 5 balls on the 4th hole from about 165-170 and proceeded to hit the green each time with the #7. I then went back to 180 and hit 3 of 4 with the #6, the only miss being a little bit of push. I went to a couple of other holes and had the same results. I wish I had time to play an entire round because I was very excited with how solidly everything was being hit.

When I got back I emailed Cleveland to see if there was a shop in the KC area that could bend my clubs for me. About an hour later I got the reply that Cleveland doesn't authorize anyone other than themselves to adjust their clubs, so I guess I'll have to wait for the off season.

I know the issue has to be with my set-up, but I'm curious if any other Altitude users have had a similar experience?

Mark there is a really good club fitting shop in KC called Golf MD. Top 100 club fitters and they do great work. I am sure they would have zero problem bending them for you

Mark there is a really good club fitting shop in KC called Golf MD. Top 100 club fitters and they do great work. I am sure they would have zero problem bending them for you

Thanks. I googled them, read a couple of positive reviews, and called them about doing a driver fitting and bending the Altitudes. Bottomline: I've got an appt. for 4:00 tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation.

I want the DW and I want it yesterday.

I want the DW and I want it yesterday.

I'm going to have to get the DW as well. It seems that I hit the PW about 8-10 yards further than my Mizuno PW, which is no surprise given the difference in lofts and launch, so I've developed a huge gap between 110 and 130 yards.

HA! There is a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight unevenness there!

In value only, the desire on both sides is even!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

In value only, the desire on both sides is even!!

But value makes the world go round. I could get 4 1/2 DW's for that combo!

But value makes the world go round. I could get 4 1/2 DW's for that combo!

True but without a text or 2 you may not get it back!!!!!

Back on topic I was hoping to debut my Altitudes with Cookie tomorrow but since his shenanigans this weekend in Branson have him hurt I may have to do it myself. Worst case scenario I have 2 rounds scheduled this weekend during our mini-vacation that will put these through the paces.

My 2nd day with the PW and 9 iron, so I took the PW out to the driving range during lunch just to get more comfortable with it, since they're such a huge change from what I am currently using. I was underwhelmed with them the first day out, but today on the range, I can see these being game changers for me. I've never hit the ball that high with a PW, not to mention that long. I was having some problems blocking the ball to the right, but remembered a post saying that they set up with the face closed, so I tried that and was immediately hitting high straight bombs 135-140 yards. That's just stupid distance for a PW for me. By the end of the range session, there was no thought involved for me. Step up, put a decent swing on the ball and watch it fly high and straight. I purposely tried to fade the ball a few times and that was easy, but when I tried to draw it, I was able to, but my distance control suffered greatly. I don't have any business trying to shape the ball purposely at my skill level anyways.

Had a bit of a break in the rain today so I took the Altitudes back on the range to get loose then out on the course to try and start getting my yardages dialed in. I'm still liking them a lot; I hit the 8i, 9i and 6i particularly well. I hit the PW ok, but the ball flight is a bit higher than I care for, or at least it was today. I'm a little concerned about the 7i too. I don't seem to be hitting it but about 5 yds farther than the 8i. Could be the loft, could be the shaft. I going to try and get that checked. Also, another area where these shined was around the green. So far I've found them much easier to chip with than my Mizunos.

I'm pretty sure I'd benefit from having premium shafts put in these, but I'll leave them as is for now. I may also end up trying to get MTs or TTs for the PW and DW.

bookmarking so I can come back n read all this!

I know it never happen but it'd be awesome if Cleveland could get Keegan or Graeme to play a round with these and put it on YouTube. Those guys could probably bring rain with the trajectory they could get with these.

Played my 1st legit 18 hole round with these today and carded a +1 71. My swing was a bit off today, as evidenced by the fact that I only hit 2 greens on the front and 5 on the back. But the misses left me with very manageable up and down opportunities that I don't think I would have had with my Mizunos. Again I have to point out how much easier it is to chip with these around the green. Of the 7 missed greens on the front I got up and down on 6 of them, and the one I didn't was a lip out from about 5 feet. Of the 4 misses on the back, 2 I actually putted from just off the green and one I was hitting 3 into a par 4 from about 110. I didn't convert the 1 up and down opportunity I had on that side where I used an iron to chip, but that was really because I missed a very makeable putt. I think those wide soles just prevent me from digging and chunking those shots and, for whatever reason, I'm finding distance control on chips to be much easier.

Though hitting more greens is one of the aspects of my game I'm really hoping to improve with these I can't really blame the clubs for the missed greens today. As much of it was the fact that I'm still getting the distances figured out as it was bad swings. They still performed very well in spite of some mishits.

Played my 1st legit 18 hole round with these today and carded a +1 71. My swing was a bit off today, as evidenced by the fact that I only hit 2 greens on the front and 5 on the back. But the misses left me with very manageable up and down opportunities that I don't think I would have had with my Mizunos. Again I have to point out how much easier it is to chip with these around the green. Of the 7 missed greens on the front I got up and down on 6 of them, and the one I didn't was a lip out from about 5 feet. Of the 4 misses on the back, 2 I actually putted from just off the green and one I was hitting 3 into a par 4 from about 110. I didn't convert the 1 up and down opportunity I had on that side where I used an iron to chip, but that was really because I missed a very makeable putt. I think those wide soles just prevent me from digging and chunking those shots and, for whatever reason, I'm finding distance control on chips to be much easier.

Though hitting more greens is one of the aspects of my game I'm really hoping to improve with these I can't really blame the clubs for the missed greens today. As much of it was the fact that I'm still getting the distances figured out as it was bad swings. They still performed very well in spite of some mishits.

I really think low handicap guys like you putting these in your bag will bring you to scratch golf or better. Hey Cookie, it's about time for some new hole of the day videos powered by the Altitudes and that new stash you're rocking! Long over due for a new hole of the day video, I really enjoy watching those, especially when I'm at work thinking about how much I'd much rather be out on the course.

Put this in play today to try it out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374248654.681251.jpg
First swing...no bueno. Low pull hook. Wanted to hit the range with it first, but just got back from vacation and figured I'd throw it in the bag.

Now that I have the 3 - 5i, I took everything to the range last weekend a few times to get acquainted with them. Maybe it was the heat, but I hit the 3i well one time and didn't have that much better success with the 4i. I liked how the 5i felt. I came back the next day and couldn't hit any of them. During that range session, I pulled something in my shoulder, so have been staying away from hitting for the last week and the shoulder seems to be getting back to normal. At any rate, I need to figure out what the issue is. I'm hitting my shorter irons great and long, but have a very aggressive move with them and maybe I can't get away with that same move with the 'Tudes. Granted I just got them, so I'm not too concerned. Just putting out there what others already have; these aren't miracle clubs. Low handis are having a field day with them and they're great clubs for high handis like me, but some semblance of a swing is required. Based on my limited experience with them, a smooth tempo is mandatory. Once you get that down, they'll fly forever for you.

I don't think anyone has called them miracle clubs, you did however nail it and said what I've been saying all along that a bad swing is still a bad swing, that said there is zero doubt that misses are less penal.

Now, off to slay a course with mine.

#Altitudinal #InvitationalApproved

Clemenza: do you recall where you had it in your stance? Sounding like maybe you had it up like a hybrid. If that's the case, I have found that these really like being played back a bit in the stance.

Clemenza: do you recall where you had it in your stance? Sounding like maybe you had it up like a hybrid. If that's the case, I have found that these really like being played back a bit in the stance.

Definitely could have been forward in my stance. I will pay attention next swing and move it back.

Looking forward to getting the Altitudes out for a bunch of golf (including a tournament match) this weekend. 9 & Dine with the wife tonight; normal Saturday morning 18 tomorrow; singles match play tournament (with handicap differential, thank god, since I'm going up against a 2 handicap) on Sunday afternoon.

Hoping to keep the good rounds coming - breaking 90 better than half the time in my last 10 times out or so - without hitting a drive past 210 yards (maybe even 200 yards). Needless to say, iron play, short game and chipping have been saving me.

Really still focusing on tempo and ball position with these. Sometimes you can forget how well they perform when you just make a good swing rather than trying to do too much and "force" those extra 5-10 yards out them. Make good contact and the yards will come.

...now, just to remember that on the course.

Back