Good wedges for high handicap?

Sturgeon

Reaction score
Handicap
About 26
I am currently gaming a 56 deg ATV. Some days I feel great with it, but most days I am not that confident with it. I know my short game needs some work, but was looking for suggestions on what wedges you guys think are best for a high handicap.
thanks

To be honest you can't wrong with any of the current wedge offerings on the market. It comes down to personal preference. The Cleveland RTX are excellent. The SCOR wedgs are good as are the J40s. Nike has a great set and the MacDaddy2 from Callaway are the gamers I use with some solid results.

Tadashi is right I think you should be fine with any of them. Personally I love my atv, I'd just keep yours and save your money for lessons or just get some solid practice time in

RTX CBs have a degree of forgiveness in them, might help with the confidence.

(I enjoy mine :D)

I am a high handicapper and my favorite wedge is a J40 56 degree. Has an awesome feel. I also use the ATVs and like then a lot as well. IMO it comes down to how they feel in your hands. Probably just stated a lot of obvious in that last sentence.

Think I will head down to the store and try a few out. I will bring my ATV to compare.

Think I will head down to the store and try a few out. I will bring my ATV to compare.
Wise decision IMO. Let us know how it goes.

G25. I play the PW, GW, SW and LW. LW for anything right off the green up to say 30 yds off then I switch to the SW.
One thing that has really helped my short game has been using the Tour Striker Educator. (Ensures you're not flipping at impact). And instead of pounding balls at the range I now hit the chipping green. Went from an 89 avg down to an 85 after the short game work.

There are so many good ones the past few years but Cleveland's CG 16 comes to mind and they can be had cheap right now as well.

RTX CBs have a degree of forgiveness in them, might help with the confidence.

(I enjoy mine :D)

Exactly what I was going to say. Full swings/shots are where the CB wedges really bring some forgiveness to the table, in my opinion. They are nice out of bunkers as well. The bounce options are much more limited than the regular 588 line, but you can certainly find the clubs to fit the majority of situations you'll be faced with. I've been gaming the 52 and 56-degree versions for several months now with great results. One of my biggest issues with true blade/forged wedges was that I was a bit inconsistent when hitting full shots. I still love a blade for short work close to the greens, but these give me a lot more confidence for a variety of shots.

Tried both the 588 rtx and the cg16 yesterday. Liked them both. I have to stop at another place today and try a few more. Hard to tell how they will be on the course when you are just hitting off a mat.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would take a peek at the Hopkins wedges that just hit the market. Very good wedges for all players.

Tadashi is right I think you should be fine with any of them. Personally I love my atv, I'd just keep yours and save your money for lessons or just get some solid practice time in
+1

When I go to the driving range, I do some target aiming practice. The driving range at my home course got some target stuff at 50mtrs, 75mtrs and 115mtrs (more or less). Just shooting some buckets with the wedges and get the ball within 5mtrs, or closer if you're getting more confident, of the target.

I'd have to echo the Cleveland sentiment. But also look at the "CG Black" wedges, which are more SGI.

I love my ATVs. I'm able to hit almost every shot from a variety of lies. Took the guess work out of what bounce to get as well. Had a buddy purchase some after my advice and his short game improved instantly. I was with him the first time he broke 100 and he said the ATVs made a huge difference. Hope you find what's best for your game.

If you feel unconfident with your ATV, then maybe you just need lessons. I cant think of any wedge that is going to be signifigantly more forgiving than that one is.
Beyond that, when it comes to wedges there is a whole lot of difference from one brand to the next. They all pretty much have their own little take on a classic design. You could argue for face milling and score lines on some wedges but Im highly skeptical that any kind of milling on the face does all that much (used to game a Nike VR Pro wedge with those same lines and it didnt spin any more or any less than any other wedges Ive ever owned).

Decided to work on the ATV wedge and my overall short game. However while I was in the store I had an old driver to trade in, and brought home a 60 deg cg16.:D
I will work with both and see how it goes.

thanks again

Decided to work on the ATV wedge and my overall short game. However while I was in the store I had an old driver to trade in, and brought home a 60 deg cg16.:D
I will work with both and see how it goes.

thanks again

I like this option, short game needs lot of practice to be confident!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I played 9 after work today, and the cg16 was awesome! Maybe it was just a good day, but if I can hit it often the way I did today, it will be well worth the purchase.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I am a big fan of the cg's myself. Play 3 CG14's at the moment. If one meets its demise I will be hitting up a CG16 as a replacement sure.

I am a big fan of the cg's myself. Play 3 CG14's at the moment. If one meets its demise I will be hitting up a CG16 as a replacement sure.

I love the CG14 as well. It's seems very similar to the CG16 for me, but with the older grooves that make more spin. Honestly, I've messed around with and owned some of the other popular wedge models (Vokey, Callaway and Scratch) and haven't personally played a better wedge than the CG14.

Also, a great wedge for a high handicapper is the Niblick. They're easy to hit and are very versatile.

Glad the 16's are working out for you. Biggest thing is practice have fun with them.

Another vote for the ATV here, they don't come much easier to hit than the ATV In all honesty.

Eeek, maybe I should've read the forums before I bought a wedge - I'm a pretty high handicapper and ended up buying the Vokey SM4. My best parts of my game are driving and 60 yards out/around the greens. I guess we'll see...

Kinda off topic but what sort of paces should I put prospective wedges through? I need a new 56* and I don't hit wedges off mats well like I will find in the demo area of the store.

Back