Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

Is this driver the 2013 model? If so I hit it at the Outing in May at Reunion and it was in my top two drivers of the weekend. I've never gamed a Nike club but would play this one in a heart beat. I fell in love :in-love: with it while playing 18 holes with one of the demos at the outing. I cleared the Grand Canyon (I forgot which hole it was but over a pretty large waste land type area) with that sucker and it was on like donkey kong!

There is only a 2013 version of the Covert driver.

There is only a 2013 version of the Covert driver.

It's hard to believe the price went down to $169.00. It was like $349.00 when it first came out?

It's hard to believe the price went down to $169.00. It was like $349.00 when it first came out?

Performance at $300 and Tour at $400

That's the industry though. Too much inventory, not enough buyers at that price point. I have never hit a Covert before, seems like the concept may work, but then again, I hit all drivers far and wayyyyy right.

I googled Carl's Golfland and they do have them for $169.00. That's a real deal :thumb:

I googled Carl's Golfland and they do have them for $169.00. That's a real deal :thumb:

Nailed it!!!! Try and price match it somewhere and get fitted if that's your thing. Their facilities are top notch.

At that price you could afford to put a proper shaft in the club.

if I like it enough in the black tie I may just wait until my club sells the demo clubs and snag it then with the black tie. Otherwise I may end up going that route. Where did you test out shafts for yours?

if I like it enough in the black tie I may just wait until my club sells the demo clubs and snag it then with the black tie. Otherwise I may end up going that route. Where did you test out shafts for yours?

I didn't. It was 100% gamble. I do not recommend to do that.

I didn't. It was 100% gamble. I do not recommend to do that.

I don't plan to... The mere idea of that scares the crap out of me. On a lighter note, would you take the over/under on you accounting for 25% of this thread's posts? XD

I don't plan to... The mere idea of that scares the crap out of me. On a lighter note, would you take the over/under on you accounting for 25% of this thread's posts? XD

Over. I like this club. Especially with a more agreeable shaft in it.

Over. I like this club. Especially with a more agreeable shaft in it.

on the topic of shafts, what is available that spins less and launches lower than the stock shaft? I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

on the topic of shafts, what is available that spins less and launches lower than the stock shaft? I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Oban Devoton line would be a good looker.

Black tie. When I talked to Nike about shafts, if you want it, good chance they'll put it in for you.

Shaft: Please. No. Just no. Distance was great, but it launches ridiculously high. I may be the only one seeing this, or it may just be my swing, but it was wayyyyyyyyyy too high launching for my liking. It definitely did deliver less spin though, so it wasn't a total loss.

I saw the same results. With the black shaft I had to call air traffic control before I swung. Blu sent me his silver and it was much better but still insanely high set at 8.5.

I finally found a different driver I hit better and bought it because the shaft selection in the used dept is much easier to come by. With the right shaft and swing, the covert is a killer driver but I have seen blu's swing on video and its smooth as silk and strong, mine is violent like a Viking invasion and I just couldn't keep ball flight down and didnt want to spend a fortune on shafts figuring out which one worked for me.

Taptaptaparoo

We should just change the name of this thread to "Blu's awesome driver"

Been hitting my Performance driver for awhile now. And while I won't write a ton, I will say that [besides the idiot mark I put on it with and angry swing] I absolutely love the looks of her. And while a bad swing will still give a bad result, I definitely find that heel and toe hits still go straight and nearly as far. That's a big plus. I still don't think it's quite as long as my old Superfast 1.0, but other people I play with regularly insist I'm hitting it farther so who knows. I should also add that I have it cranked to 12.5 b/c anything lower and the ball flight is too low. Love it though.

Got this driver today since the price dropped and I have to say, it's a wild animal that needs taming. I was so used to giving oomph to my old RBZ Tour that when I used the same style and power swing, the ball just went everywhere but straight. I would hit 150 yard grounders, 200 yard hooks, slices and pop ups, at least according to the simulator at GolfSmith. When I went to the range to work out the kinks, the same results happened. Skulls and slices. It got to the point where I was frustrated and simply hit the ball without any prep (automatic tees) and would swing just to swing. BAM! Straight as an arrow. 1/4 relaxed swing, 100 yards preroll dead center. 1/2 swing, even further and just as straight. It got to the point where I was taking full swing, but added no extra oompf and the ball just sailed off the face long and straight. I can now finally have that effortless swing with awesome results.
Right now the only issue I have is that the head cover is too tight and I feel like I am about to snap the shaft trying to take it off or put it on. Not that big of a deal though since Marvin the Martian has taken over.

Very interesting. Is it a white shaft? I fully admit I know little about shafts, but it looks almost metallic. Is the whiteboard that shiny?

That is the whiteboard, flower band near the top gives it away

I pound this driver insanely far... Not upgrading till they come out with rocket powered drivers.

I put my Covert Tour back in my bag yesterday and went 8/12 on holes where I hit it. Two were genuine misses, but one "miss" was because I ran out of fairway and it ended green side in the rough and the other one hit a sprinkler head and kicked into some trouble. I was really happy with it yesterday!

I put my Covert Tour back in my bag yesterday and went 8/12 on holes where I hit it. Two were genuine misses, but one "miss" was because I ran out of fairway and it ended green side in the rough and the other one hit a sprinkler head and kicked into some trouble. I was really happy with it yesterday!

Good thing you still have it :)

Back