Recap Thread - 2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
When to Brad move from DC to PA?

you're a mod. change his forum name or ban him or something. it's very confusing!!

but Ricky lives in NJ, so.......

this guy^^ moves from OH to OH
lol. move to Erie.
Remember that time, after the Morgan Cup, when we were all hanging out and I almost banned DCBrad?

That was cool.

you're a mod. change his forum name or ban him or something. it's very confusing!!

but Ricky lives in NJ, so.......

this guy^^ moves from OH to OH
lol. move to Erie.

Pittsburgh is in PA
I dont do PA
Love ya

Also a huge thanks to everyone that took the time to tune in and watch this amazing event and those taking the time to read/watch our recaps...

Remember that time, after the Morgan Cup, when we were all hanging out and I almost banned DCBrad?

That was cool.

a4ygetuj.jpg

Josh, your mods were outa control that night. I won't name any names....

Sadly I dont even have the power to take their power. That magic wand belongs to GG. They wont allow me for some reason....Hmmm.

All right, recap time.

I tried doing this on video but even though I waited until this point it is still tough without getting emotional and having it run an hour or two long. I first need to thank Josh and Morgan and I will continue to do so every chance I get. I mean it when I say this event has made me a better person and my life is better because of the friendships this event and THP as a whole have created. Thanks for being the terrific people that you are and I am very lucky to have the two of you in my life.

To the volunteers, like with JB and Morgan, I am not sure thank you is enough but it is what I have to offer. This event just doesn’t work without your help and you guys and gals did a tremendous job.

Ddec and Jenn, I am so glad we got to spend some time getting to know each other better and I know I speak for Trisha when I say we value your friendship. You guys have been terrific ambassadors for THP and the Morgan Cup in particular. Your passion for the game of golf and each other is intoxicating and wonderful to be around.

My trip started early Wednesday morning with a big brohug from Jake at MSP and somehow only got better from there. We landed in Myrtle and went straight to the course for a round at Caledonia. It was so cool to pull into the parking lot, see a bunch of familiar faces and feel like I was home. I got to play a round with WCBM, TyNo, and Icey. We had a blast catching up and trying to show the ever-inquisitive Kyle the ropes. I could not ask to play with a better group of guys. All three of them bring something unique and special to this event and I was glad to get to spend some time with them before the event got underway.

Thursday it was our Team Paradise practice round and I think Jake describes it best in his video. It may sound silly but we were ready and were in the mind frame that the Morgan Cup was ours for the taking. As a group we were really not worried about match-ups or formats. Jake gave us an environment were we knew we had it in us, we just needed to trust our partners and our own games and it would work itself out. Our job to have a great time and that is exactly what we did.

Media day is one of the best parts of this event IMO. A chance to ham it up with 31 friends and try to give a little something back to your sponsor. Cobra Puma and SeeMore did such a great job through out this entire thing. It sometimes takes sponsors a year to understand the event but they hit the ground running and stepped it up a notch when the event arrived. Jamie Lynn was terrific and really made the promos easy and fun. The fact that she followed us around the entire weekend and tweeted what we were doing to all of Cobra Puma’s followers was incredible and really made this a tour experience. SeeMore of course going above and beyond with the SPi fitting and head cover as well as Bridgestone supplying what for me is a couple years worth of golf balls was incredible as well. First class all the way and it is very much appreciated.

Saturday Scramble, my boy Zac and I started slow and just couldn’t get putts to drop. Big time and Icey worked very well together and we just didn’t have enough game that day to keep up with a well-oiled machine. I have never had such a good time getting my a$$ handed to me. Those two are great guys and it was nice to see them off to a great start in their first Morgan Cup.

Saturday Alt. Shot was a much different match with a similar result. Zac and I played a better golf but we were not expecting to need birdies to win holes in Alt. shot. TyNo and Frogger poured in par after par and ended up with a stretch of 9 or 10 in a row. I am not sure even if Zac’s back is 100% we could have matched the performance of the duo the defending champs threw at us that day. TyNo is one of my favorite people in the world and he knows it so enough about him. Frogger is an interesting dude because he has so much game but never gives himself enough credit. It would be a little scary to see him play with any level of confidence.

Zac, I had such a good time on Saturday and that has so much to do with you and your attitude towards life. I commend the effort you put in leading up to and at the event itself. I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way and I can’t wait to make a trip to Mobile down the road and have our families spend some time together.

Sunday fun day, what a ride. I was as nervous as I have ever been for most of the day. So may questions in my head that morning. Did I work hard enough over the last year that my game was where it needed to be? I knew my match could make or break it for Team Paradise and still had some demons from the prior year floating around in my head. I really wanted to play well not only for myself and for my team, but also for the sacrifices my family has made with all the practice and time I have devoted to golf over the past two years.

Luckily for me something clicked and I played as well as I have ever played. Likely on my way to a personal best if I had completed the round. It is strange hearing Dan’s recap where he could sense there was something going on even before the round started. I owe Dan a round where I am more myself because I don’t think I was all that fun to play with on Sunday. It is so hard playing against someone you like and respect while trying to beat him at the same time. 441 and I feed off each other well and it was great to get to spend some time with him. Yorkem tried to help me calm down and is always a joy to share a round with.

It is so difficult to put this experience into words. I still don’t know how JB will top this even at the same time knowing he will. It is truly transformative and I could not have hand picked a better group of guys to share it with.

Team Paradise you guys know how I feel about you and I am so lucky to be able to call you guy’s friends. This weekend would not have been as amazing if it were not for the efforts of the seven of you.

Last but not least thank you to my lovely wife. Without your support and understanding and don’t know where I would be. I am so happy you were able to be part of this and that you “get” THP and why it is so important to me.

Last edited:
Good stuff Erik.

Was great to finally meet you, and it seemed like around hole 4 we both stopped shaking terribly. I told a few people that it was like we were teammates out there the way we fed off of each other. Definitely couldnt have asked for a better cart partner out there. Looking forward to hanging with ya more in vegas

Good stuff Erik.

Was great to finally meet you, and it seemed like around hole 4 we both stopped shaking terribly. I told a few people that it was like we were teammates out there the way we fed off of each other. Definitely couldnt have asked for a better cart partner out there. Looking forward to hanging with ya more in vegas

It worked out really well. I told Trisha before the round I would either be in the cart with Yorkem or yourself. I have had the chance to play with Anthony before I knew I would have a good time but I told her I wanted to be with you because we did not have much time together prior to that round. I love that we have Vegas coming up and have a chance to hang out again.

I enjoyed reading that Howzat. I have been fortunate enough to play golf with you 3-4 times now and watch you golf a couple of more (this event). You bring a joy and energy to the course that is contagious. You play the game the way it should be played (IMO). Work hard. Try Hard. But have fun. Its what it is all about. Leaving it all out there for the sake of something greater, but embracing it to make sure there is sheer joy that comes out of it.

Watched/read the recaps and also finally got to watch the coverage. The event looked amazing and it looked like you guys were playing some damn good golf. Awesome stuff and thanks for putting this coverage and recaps out there so the rest of us can watch it.

I need a round with that Howzat fella BIG time!! Great recap dude.

Thanks buddy. We will make that happen sooner rather than later. Now more than ever since you have your own AMP Cell and I won't be so worried about mine. :D

That picture was of an iPhone. I dont use an iPhone...

Howzat- I enjoyed reading the recap. I enjoyed even more getting the opportunity to hang out with you in Myrtle.

One of these days we will tee it up, and I look forward to that day.

i think Howzat needs to read the Gauntlet thread.

Howzat- I enjoyed reading the recap. I enjoyed even more getting the opportunity to hang out with you in Myrtle.

One of these days we will tee it up, and I look forward to that day.

Another round that needs to happen and soon. I had so much fun getting to follow your match in on Sunday. Following your progress over the last few years has been great motivation and you did a spectacular job as Captain.

i think Howzat needs to read the Gauntlet thread.

I am trying to avoid it as I am not sure that time frame works. However, I will be working on a way to make it happen.

TyNo is one of my favorite people in the world and he knows it so enough about him

haha. now there's just no need for that...
i appreciate that very much sir.

it's unfortunate that you and lambro had to be on the other side of our wrath Saturday afternoon, but competition and results aside, i sure did enjoy our round together.
i am so happy for you to get that Cup this year. 2 years of hard work and dedication paid off correctly, i say.

FINALLY!! After a few attempts and me nearly launching my computer out the window due to problems uploading here is a quick recap of the week that was:

I really appreciate the kind words buddy. I had such a great time with you and Whitney in 2012, it was great that I got the chance to go through this with you again. It was a lot of fun watching you play some incredible golf and meeting your little one was one of the highlights of the weekend. Trisha has already pulled up of map of PA trying to figure out how to make a trip out there possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back