My irons....they're forged and they're fantastic.
Honestly how they are made makes no difference to me. Cast or forged each iron will feel different. I like to play what looks good, I hit well and can score with. I must say the forged cavity backs are what my eye is being drawn to at this moment. (825 pros, FG tour V2, CMB)

How much does durability play into choice between cast vs forged irons? I guess it wouldn't matter much if you are going to buy new clubs every couple years anyways.

But what if you're looking for the irons to last you 4-5 years?

It seems that forged irons get dinged up quite a bit more and the face/grooves wear down easier. And also what about having to get the lie angle adjusted every so often?

Are these true concerns? Just some comments I've heard and trying to discern facts from misconceptions when it comes to forged vs cast.

Not something I'd personally worry about either way.

The bottom line is even tour players can't tell the difference between cast and forged, everything else being equal. Most wedges and nearly all putters are cast - and these are the "feel" scoring clubs.

The bottom line is even tour players can't tell the difference between cast and forged, everything else being equal. Most wedges and nearly all putters are cast - and these are the "feel" scoring clubs.

1st time I've ever heard of putters being brought into the debate.

They don't get brought in often. But it is a valid point.

How much does durability play into choice between cast vs forged irons? I guess it wouldn't matter much if you are going to buy new clubs every couple years anyways.

It seems that forged irons get dinged up quite a bit more and the face/grooves wear down easier. And also what about having to get the lie angle adjusted every so often?

Are these true concerns? Just some comments I've heard and trying to discern facts from misconceptions when it comes to forged vs cast.

Forged irons will last a while. Bag chatter doesn't really ding them up either. What does hurt them is the angry club slam putting the back into the bag. My leave a knick. But those small knicks won't hurt the structural integrity of the irons, and least I hope not.

a light hearted approach by mark crossfield .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rs6896jkoM

personally i think the brand, quality of steel used, head design, shaft choice, grip etc. all have as much an impact as the cast vs forged manufacturing process of marking the club .. having said that i really do like my FORGED JPX800 pros wahahah

That is a great video, amazing that he didn't shank one. Pretty much what I figured, sight and sound play a bigger role in "feel" than actual feel.

The durability is more closely related to the type of metal used in my opinion. The softer the metal, the more dings, etc. you will have.

I guess I'm tired of the uninformed, conventional thinking that forging metal gives it a better feel. If that were true we would see a lot more forged putters and wedges.

They don't get brought in often. But it is a valid point.

I would say putters have as much in common with an iron as irons do with pistons. Theres a huge difference between an iron hitting a golf ball at 90 mph and a putter hitting one at what, 10 mph?

I guess I'm tired of the uninformed, conventional thinking that forging metal gives it a better feel. If that were true we would see a lot more forged putters and wedges.

Yet lots of them have inserts. Sorry, I don't see any relevance.

My Adams CMB's have a much better feel than my old r7 TP's, but that has to do with 2 things - the amount of mass behind the sweet spot, and the shaft (KBS Tour vs. PX in my case). As far as I've been able to tell, the clubhead design and the shaft are the biggest factors. I laugh heartily when people debate about not only forged vs. cast, but WHICH BLOODY METAL the forging is (i.e. what level carbon steel) - people were trash talking the excellent W/S FG V2 because it's made of 8620 steel vs. 1025...:dohanim:

I would say putters have as much in common with an iron as irons do with pistons. Theres a huge difference between an iron hitting a golf ball at 90 mph and a putter hitting one at what, 10 mph?

I completely agree. There is a huge difference.

So lets take the most important "feel" clubs next to the putter, the wedge. As Bob Vokey explains in the quote below, 80% of the wedges on Tour are cast, not forged. It's the type of metal used that determines feel, not if it is cast or forged.

"There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about cast vs. forged out there. Casting and forging are just processes. The feel of the wedge is determined by the metal used, not by the process. We cast the softest metal available, 8620 mild carbon steel. People think we cast our wedges because it’s cheaper. That’s not the case. It’s because of the number of grinds, lofts, bounces that we have available. We start with the Tour and when we find a shape or grind we really like, we’re able to make a tool for it quickly. The casting process is able to replicate the grind much closer than if we forged it. Think about this: 80 percent of the wedges on Tour are cast. I’ve never had a player come up to me and say, “Voke, this wedge doesn’t feel good. I really wish it was forged.” These are the best players in the world. And that’s my R&D department."

Why no love for Bridgestone irons? Is it lack of availability, advertising, or do people genuinely not care for them?

I have J38 DPC's w 5.0 shafts- best club I have played- tried various mp models as well as the razr x forged and the J38's felt best.

Thoughts?

Why no love for Bridgestone irons? Is it lack of availability, advertising, or do people genuinely not care for them?

I have J38 DPC's w 5.0 shafts- best club I have played- tried various mp models as well as the razr x forged and the J38's felt best.

Thoughts?

Lots of love for Bridgestone irons.

I wonder if Optimus Prime is forged, cast, or a mix of both....hrm....

So lets take the most important "feel" clubs next to the putter, the wedge. As Bob Vokey explains in the quote below, 80% of the wedges on Tour are cast, not forged. It's the type of metal used that determines feel, not if it is cast or forged.

"There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about cast vs. forged out there. Casting and forging are just processes. The feel of the wedge is determined by the metal used, not by the process. We cast the softest metal available, 8620 mild carbon steel. People think we cast our wedges because it’s cheaper. That’s not the case. It’s because of the number of grinds, lofts, bounces that we have available. We start with the Tour and when we find a shape or grind we really like, we’re able to make a tool for it quickly. The casting process is able to replicate the grind much closer than if we forged it. Think about this: 80 percent of the wedges on Tour are cast. I’ve never had a player come up to me and say, “Voke, this wedge doesn’t feel good. I really wish it was forged.” These are the best players in the world. And that’s my R&D department."

Says the guy with a lot to gain by telling people there is no difference between cast and forged. I wonder if Roger Cleveland would say the same?

I'm not sure there is a difference, but I'm not taking Vokey's word for it. And I do find it odd that while many like the feel of Vokey wedges, most would say they feel vastly different from some of the forged offerings.

Thoughts?

Check out the J40 thread, I think you will find that there is alot of love for the irons. I own a set of J38's and love them as well.

Thoughts?

Check out the Bridgestone J40 threads. TONS of love for their stuff.

Check out the Bridgestone J40 threads. TONS of love for their stuff.

Check out the J40 thread, I think you will find that there is alot of love for the irons. I own a set of J38's and love them as well.

This has been happening alot lately... it's getting creepy.

Says the guy with a lot to gain by telling people there is no difference between cast and forged. I wonder if Roger Cleveland would say the same?

I'm not sure there is a difference, but I'm not taking Vokey's word for it. And I do find it odd that while many like the feel of Vokey wedges, most would say they feel vastly different from some of the forged offerings.

In my opinion it's all about perception. A very good friend of mine refused to consider buying Ping irons because they were cast and not forged, yet he has played Vokey wedges since I can remember. And yes I tell him about it every time he makes a comment, but he just changes the subject.

I think this further shows how nice it was to get the information straight from someone that made both for years and likes both. John Hoeflich. He has nothing to gain from either side.

I think this further shows how nice it was to get the information straight from someone that made both for years and likes both. John Hoeflich. He has nothing to gain from either side.

He also did it in a way that actually made a difference. You can't compare two different irons and say that one is better because of how it is made. Every design is different. John is a very bright man.

Back