Things That Irritate You On the Course?

I have to admit this was out fault... but I still hated it!

My brother and I went out a few Fridays ago at 3pm. The course was wide open. The pro told us nobody had called in a tee time till 1-1/2 from then. As we approached #1 we could see a foursome leaving #3 and heading to the #4 tee box. Nice day, nobody around... We had not played together in some time... We may have, just maybe, been playing... (wait for it)... SLOW. We are doing way to much talking and not enough ball striking. When we teed off on #2 a twosome was teeing off on #1. A couple of High School kids it looked like. As we are getting our putters out on the par 4 #2 we notice they had caught up and where waiting on #2 tee.

We putt out and watch them drive two perfect shots down the middle of the fairway about 200 and 250 yards out. We decide to let them play through. We are just taking our time and they seem to be fairly good and moving fast. So we watch them chip in and putt out. Not bad, they score par and bogey. They come up to the #3 tee and we let them hit. First one slices a wicked slice to who knows where. The second pushes it way left and it hits the trunk of a tree about 30 yards down the left side and it bounces to the far side of #2 fairway... I don't know how many, 10 shots? later they head out to the next whole. While this is happening another twosome rushes up on us. Now we figure we will get stuck behind these two slow guys that we let through and this next group is gonna be pushing up our rears while we wait for these two guys we let through.... So we let the 2nd play through!!! (we are either nice guys or idiots!) Thankfully they can play and they are off the hole fast.

In the end we played our nice slow round but we ended up sitting on #3 for 20 mins and got cold...

Lesson: don't judge a group by 1 shot... just play and IF they start pushing you and the way is clear ahead then let them play through...

Our fault, but it still ticked us off!

I have to admit this was out fault... but I still hated it!

My brother and I went out a few Fridays ago at 3pm. The course was wide open. The pro told us nobody had called in a tee time till 1-1/2 from then. As we approached #1 we could see a foursome leaving #3 and heading to the #4 tee box. Nice day, nobody around... We had not played together in some time... We may have, just maybe, been playing... (wait for it)... SLOW. We are doing way to much talking and not enough ball striking. When we teed off on #2 a twosome was teeing off on #1. A couple of High School kids it looked like. As we are getting our putters out on the par 4 #2 we notice they had caught up and where waiting on #2 tee.

We putt out and watch them drive two perfect shots down the middle of the fairway about 200 and 250 yards out. We decide to let them play through. We are just taking our time and they seem to be fairly good and moving fast. So we watch them chip in and putt out. Not bad, they score par and bogey. They come up to the #3 tee and we let them hit. First one slices a wicked slice to who knows where. The second pushes it way left and it hits the trunk of a tree about 30 yards down the left side and it bounces to the far side of #2 fairway... I don't know how many, 10 shots? later they head out to the next whole. While this is happening another twosome rushes up on us. Now we figure we will get stuck behind these two slow guys that we let through and this next group is gonna be pushing up our rears while we wait for these two guys we let through.... So we let the 2nd play through!!! (we are either nice guys or idiots!) Thankfully they can play and they are off the hole fast.

In the end we played our nice slow round but we ended up sitting on #3 for 20 mins and got cold...

Lesson: don't judge a group by 1 shot... just play and IF they start pushing you and the way is clear ahead then let them play through...

Our fault, but it still ticked us off!

That sounds like what happens every time someone lets me play through........:banghead:

I could be shooting lights out, but as soon as I have to play through someone, I'm guaranteed to put one somewhere crazy.

I played with "nice shot" guy today. I used to think people that got irritated by this were a little too touchy. I think I've changed my mind. In the middle of a 6 hour round for a twosome (he's also snail guy and practice swing guy), I realized that any shot of mine that went farther than his was a "nice shot", even if it was a 150 yard hook into an adjacent fairway. I've never wanted to fake an injury so bad in my life. The only thing that stopped me was that I knew he couldn't play 36 holes. So if I could just make it through the round I'd be able to play a normal one to get my head back on straight.

I played with "nice shot" guy today. I used to think people that got irritated by this were a little too touchy. I think I've changed my mind. In the middle of a 6 hour round for a twosome (he's also snail guy and practice swing guy), I realized that any shot of mine that went farther than his was a "nice shot", even if it was a 150 yard hook into an adjacent fairway. I've never wanted to fake an injury so bad in my life. The only thing that stopped me was that I knew he couldn't play 36 holes. So if I could just make it through the round I'd be able to play a normal one to get my head back on straight.

I think I would have played ahead, I can't fathom taking 4.hours for a twosome, much less 6

That sounds like what happens every time someone lets me play through........:banghead:

I could be shooting lights out, but as soon as I have to play through someone, I'm guaranteed to put one somewhere crazy.
That's happened to me so many times too! I told my partner last time that happened I should at least get to take one stroke off my score for that hole because I was rushing to putt out and didn't take the time to even look at the line. (The group we were playing through waved us up as soon as they cleared the green and waited standing around their carts while we hit our approaches and putted out.)

I think I would have played ahead, I can't fathom taking 4.hours for a twosome, much less 6

Unfortunately, I work with him and he wanted to golf with me today. If I said anything his feelings would have been hurt, so I stuck it out.

Unfortunately, I work with him and he wanted to golf with me today. If I said anything his feelings would have been hurt, so I stuck it out.

All of a sudden I'm glad I couldn't make it today... No offense, Kobey.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

My brothers and I'm playing with them tomorrow.

All of a sudden I'm glad I couldn't make it today... No offense, Kobey.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

That's why I warned you. He's a real nice guy, but golfing with him is brutal.

This ^^^^^ I'd stop playing if I had to play in 6 hours in a pair none the less. Nothing good about that.

This ^^^^^ I'd stop playing if I had to play in 6 hours in a pair none the less. Nothing good about that.

Even if it meant upsetting a friend? I just can't do that if I know someone is sensitive to that kind of thing. He doesn't have anyone else to play with, so I do it once in a while. Now if it was every week, I'd have to bring along a rope so I could hang myself on the fourth fairway.

Even if it meant upsetting a friend? I just can't do that if I know someone is sensitive to that kind of thing. He doesn't have anyone else to play with, so I do it once in a while. Now if it was every week, I'd have to bring along a rope so I could hang myself on the fourth fairway.

I think maybe if you broached the subject away from the course you could find a way to tactfully let him know about the error of his ways. It's like someone telling you your fly is open, yeah, it's embarrassing, but ultimately you're glad someone spoke up.

Got in a round this morning at a local country club. Guy in the foursome behind us this morning was a big hitter. Watched him drive at least 2 greens (both were 335-340), basically seeing the ball hit around the green as we were walking off the next tee box. We ended up finishing our round in less than 4 hours, so I don't feel like we were playing slow. On the 18th green we are putting and a ball lands on the green. I look back and the guy is picking up his tee walking towards his group.

I am all for long hitters and can appreciate it when a guy can drive a green. I applaud guys when they do it. But this guy - who I should mention is a member - should have known he could drive that green and should have waited until we were done. I knew he was a member, because we had a guy paired up with us that was a member as well and he happened to point out that the owner of the country club was in the group behind us.

After I finished my putting I stood on the green, looked back and walked off. There was no sense in me saying anything because of the owner of the country club can't see the lack of golf etiquette, I doubt having words with the guy would have accomplished anything. But it annoyed me regardless.

Got in a round this morning at a local country club. Guy in the foursome behind us this morning was a big hitter. Watched him drive at least 2 greens (both were 335-340), basically seeing the ball hit around the green as we were walking off the next tee box. We ended up finishing our round in less than 4 hours, so I don't feel like we were playing slow. On the 18th green we are putting and a ball lands on the green. I look back and the guy is picking up his tee walking towards his group.

I am all for long hitters and can appreciate it when a guy can drive a green. I applaud guys when they do it. But this guy - who I should mention is a member - should have known he could drive that green and should have waited until we were done. I knew he was a member, because we had a guy paired up with us that was a member as well and he happened to point out that the owner of the country club was in the group behind us.

After I finished my putting I stood on the green, looked back and walked off. There was no sense in me saying anything because of the owner of the country club can't see the lack of golf etiquette, I doubt having words with the guy would have accomplished anything. But it annoyed me regardless.

Wow, I can understand the guy occasionally catching a flyer but driving two greens already then hitting one while a group is still on it is ridiculous!

Good on you for holding your tongue

Walking up to #9 green today and see this jack wagon leave the putting green and head to #10 to start his round.... He waved me through on 12 after seeing my drives were going to be nipping at his heels all day.

Wow, I can understand the guy occasionally catching a flyer but driving two greens already then hitting one while a group is still on it is ridiculous!

Good on you for holding your tongue

I agree with you completely. I get that a guy can catch a hold of one and put one on the green. If that happens, I am probably laughing and congratulating him. This guy apparently has had a hole in one - on a Par 4 and has been in the low 60s in his rounds there. All the information was courtesy of the member that was with us and I don't think he thought very highly of the guy.

Either way, wasn't worth saying anything. It was a battle I could never win and it wasn't worth even trying to fight.

I agree with you completely. I get that a guy can catch a hold of one and put one on the green. If that happens, I am probably laughing and congratulating him. This guy apparently has had a hole in one - on a Par 4 and has been in the low 60s in his rounds there. All the information was courtesy of the member that was with us and I don't think he thought very highly of the guy.

Either way, wasn't worth saying anything. It was a battle I could never win and it wasn't worth even trying to fight.

Agreed you couldn't win this one and not worth it. Could of looked bad with the member you were playing with if things got more than a simple seriously

Getting stuck behind a group of grandmas who take FOREVER and refuse to play ready golf.. spent about 1.4 hrs waiting on them!

Getting stuck behind a group of grandmas who take FOREVER and refuse to play ready golf.. spent about 1.4 hrs waiting on them!
One point 4? Like One hour, 24 minutes? :eyepoke:

If I had a particular bad day I would have been tempted to tee it back up and hit it back towards him

I think if I were that guy, and I'm consistently driving greens at that club, I would be looking for a longer more difficult club to play.

I think if I were that guy, and I'm consistently driving greens at that club, I would be looking for a longer more difficult club to play.

I said the same thing while we were on the course. Maybe he enjoys being a big fish in a small pond, but personally I would be looking for another course.

If I had a particular bad day I would have been tempted to tee it back up and hit it back towards him

With the owner of the country club in his group, I probably wouldn't have been allowed back. ?

I gotta be honest dude I am really really glad I wasn't with you. I can promise I wouldn't have just walked off knowing the info you did. Especially if the owner was playing with him. Highly highly doubt I would have been welcomed back at that country club after I had said my peace.

Back