Cart Accidents...tell your stories

One of my best friends was playing golf with her son, DIL and her 2 year old grandson. I was playing a hole in front of them. Everyone was standing around while one of them hit. The little boy jumped in the cart, hit the pedal and took off downhill and crashed into the pond. The cart flipped over. Luckily he was not pinned and they got him out in a hurry and he was only scraped up a bit. There were some tears shed after all that. When they got in their car to leave, he jumped over to the steering wheel and wanted to drive.

My VERY first game of golf, I played 9 holes at a pretty nice course here in town and shared a power cart with a friend. We had a pretty enthusiastic game and drive around the course that on reflection was a bit too exuberant but at the end of the game, we went to put our clubs in the cars in the parking lot and I went down a wrong lane so I thought "no biggy, i'll pull a u-turn in this triple parking spot at the end" and as I got halfway through the u-turn my foot got stuck on the accelerator (I still have this problem where my toe gets caught under the dash while I'm on the accelerator) and the steering was too slow for me to get out of the turn and I ended up plowing the front roof support into the tail light and bumper of an SUV. My one and only incident involving motor vehicles so far (knock on wood) but it cost me $600 for repairs on the SUV and quite a bruised pride.

One of my best friends was playing golf with her son, DIL and her 2 year old grandson. I was playing a hole in front of them. Everyone was standing around while one of them hit. The little boy jumped in the cart, hit the pedal and took off downhill and crashed into the pond. The cart flipped over. Luckily he was not pinned and they got him out in a hurry and he was only scraped up a bit. There were some tears shed after all that. When they got in their car to leave, he jumped over to the steering wheel and wanted to drive.

Glad to hear the Little guy was Ok! Did they let him drive home?

I have hit 2 golf carts so far.

First time it was the group in front of us and they had just moved off a few metres from the green seeing that that's where the next tee was. I fired in a shot with the 7 iron and it was hooking towards the cart like a magnet and although I yelled fore, they just didnt hear me ... it whacked one of their bags that was strapped on the back of their cart on the full. My bad .. but I do think that they should have been more aware seeing that they were just a few metres away from the previous green and knew that I was about to hit :)

Second incident involved my playing partner that shot off to look for his ball in the cart, so I took got ready for my shot and when I hit it, it was more a heat seeking missile than a golf ball which ended bouncing on the floor of the cart. I ran towards him to see if he was OK and there he was saying some idiot just hit a ball at me and I managed to catch it as it bounced around in the cart ........ HAHAHA

We still laugh about it to this day.

wasn't sat in the cart properly going to the range with my dad on holiday and as he turned the corner tjrew me out onto the baking tarmac
didnt have a good round

Never flipped one or spun one, but after a few road sodas I was driving at full speed and thought I would make it under a pine tree limb. The first limb I hit with the top of the cart broke the roof and sent a massive pine cone straight into my friends forehead.

I was playing in a scramble years ago at the Wigwam resort in Phoenix. My customers two teenage sons were in their cart a few group ahead of us. The got too close to the pond and slipped backwards down into the water. All that was visible was the cart roof and their club headcovers.

As we approached, my customer and his wife were sitting against their cart waiting for the clubhouse staff to come help them. My playing partner decides to proclaim "gotta give em credit....they almost made it all the way across the pond" I was dying laughing. No one was hurt, just my customers wallet. ..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Last month a guy in his early 20's took his girlfriend along so she could watch him play 18 at a course near me. They both were drinking and by hole 14 he was doing more showing off then golfing trying impress/trill her. After that tee shot the cart path takes a steep downhill path and turns to the right. In his drunken attempt to have some fun with her he took the turn too sharply for the speed he was going and flipped the cart right over. She fell out and the cart role over as her face skid down the concrete cart path. Knocked all her front teeth out and tore her face up something terrible. Now everyone renting a cart has to sign a disclaimer because of that idiot.

One time several years ago I was playing a course in North Texas and watched a friend do the old "lean out and scoop the ball from a moving cart" trick only to fall out and roll down the hill into the pond....it was hilarious!!

About two years ago I was playing with 2 buddies and I was in the cart by myself.....we were hunting a ball along the right side of a hole that featured a bunch of large mounds...I was driving over one of them when one of the guys in the other cart yells, "here it is"....I turned sharply and the cart flipped off the hill onto its side and slide to the bottom....nothing was hurt but my pride.....and it took a minute for them to quit laughing so they could help me flip the cart back over.

I was riding with a friend and he thought the cart would fit between two trees. Rather than go slow to make sure since it would be close anyway he goes full tilt at it. Well it didnt fit. I almost went head first into the tree but caught the bar, but it did snap the tie rod in two. So the one tire was sideways. Fortunately it was the last hole.

The son of a coworker of mine was working as a cart barn assistant. He was driving a cart to the barn with his left foot dangling out the side of the cart as I have seen a bunch of golfers do and I have done as well. As he was entering the barn, he was too close to the left side of the door. He ripped open his leg on a shard of metal and needed about 30 stitches to close the cut. This was years ago, and I havent driven with any part of me hanging outside. Keep all arms in legs inside the ride at all times.

We were playing in an outing for my cousin's grandpa's company. About 40 guys. We were getting towards the end of a round when I saw a cart come flying over a not so cart friendly hill almost sideways.....It did a Jackass movie like slide and tumbled down the hill. One of the guys broke his leg and the other got 15 stitches in his face. They had definitley had too much to drink that day....

course.jpg

I played in an oil & gas client's tournament. I got paired up with my future brother in law. There was a lot of drinking and we finished on the 18th. I hope this pic works but its a severe drop off with 3 switch backs. It's still pretty foggy and we've never been able to piece together what actually happened. This is what we've pieced together though. My brother in law was driving and coming out of turn #1 he put the car in neutral. The cart took off on him and I think it scared him. I think he slammed on the brakes and I got launched out of the cart. I held onto the metal brace on the cart. It bent at a 90* angle. My legs were flying out the side of the cart and my right leg hit a timber fence post. That snapped my body back around and I was run over by the back tires of the cart. I don't remember much because at some point I hit my head pretty hard. I had to walk into the clubhouse and buy a new **** as mine was ripped to shreds. I had road rash on my upper arms and one shoulder. My foot swelled up and was purple for weeks. They thought I tore my ACL but luckily it was just sprained. I was laid up for a couple of days and pretty sore. I really don't know what my brother in law was doing or thinking. I got pretty messed up on the deal but it could've been worse. I play that course quite a bit now but I drive real careful nowadays.

Pic isn't working so here's a link. Click on Course Virtual Tour #18 for a couple of pics. http://www.devilstowergolf.com/Course/

No accidents for me but every time I let my dad drive the cart around the trees he drives over the tree roots (without slowing down) rather than going 5-10 feet to their side. I can't believe the carts haven't fallen apart on up mid-round because of it yet.

Back