Srixon Q-Star - More of a Mid Level Ball?

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
I played last weekend with a dozen of these I had picked on based on good reviews here. I'm wondering if my 110 shooting self would be better off with something with less spin. I feel like I was particularly inconsistent off the tee with this ball. I hit some great shots close to the green with it, but I don't think it's worth the trade off, since the tee and longer stuff is what killed me. It got me thinking that maybe the QStar is more of a mid-level ball good for some of the better players here.

So I think I need to keep looking. How does the E6 compare to the Qstar? Similar in spin? I'm also thinking I should try the Lady Precept. Any other recommendations for a low spin ball? I'd also like to stick with something I can get in a high visibility color, as that helped me find some errant shots. :)

I don't think it is an overly spinny ball, and compares to the E6 favorably, but it could be that its just not a great fit for you.

Some will disagree, but I've not seen a noticeable difference in spin between the e6 and QStar around the greens. Old ones or new ones.

E6 is my favorite mid-price, surlyn cover ball.

Some will disagree, but I've not seen a noticeable difference in spin between the e6 and QStar around the greens. Old ones or new ones.

E6 is my favorite mid-price, surlyn cover ball.

I agree with this completely. I would say that the thin cover might give the Q-Star a tad more green side spin, but off the tee they have been similar in our testing.

I'll admit that my e6 love is based a lot on familiarity at this point too. Both are fine balls.

Do you guys think maybe it's more a ball for a mid handicapper? Rather than someone like me who shoots 100 plus?

Do you guys think maybe it's more a ball for a mid handicapper? Rather than someone like me who shoots 100 plus?

No. I think its probably one of those days. Have you gone through B-Fit yet on the Bridgestone site? Its quite helpful and tons of THPers have gone through it. Gives you a chance to talk to someone that can talk you through options and fit you based on what the info is you give them. Being that it has no charge to it, it cant hurt since you are talking about the e6.

Agree. I don't think there's a handicap thing there.

E-6 would be a bit less spinny, in my experience. I found the e-6 to have more rollout on all kinds of shots, which is not the best for hitting the green, but it's not like I always had to chip everything back on, either. The extra rollout on the fairway was usually nice to have. Carry distance was about equal for me. Hard to judge straightness between the two - I can slice either ball off the planet, or hit either one very straight. I prefer the Q-star because I can occasionally stick it close to the pin, which I got less of from the e-6. I preferred the Bridgestone Fixx for the same reason, but it seems to have disappeared from my local stores.

I'll definitely give them another try on the course. Like I said, I like them around the green just fine. Had a nice 9 iron stick on a par 3 with it.

Is there a good place to get a variety of balls to try? Rather than overpriced sleeves at the course or buying by the dozen at golf galaxy.

I'll definitely give them another try on the course. Like I said, I like them around the green just fine. Had a nice 9 iron stick on a par 3 with it.

Is there a good place to get a variety of balls to try? Rather than overpriced sleeves at the course or buying by the dozen at golf galaxy.

I really like the q stars, they really seemed to quell some of the side spin for me.

I picked up a dozen of the Q stars last weekend, hoping to give them a spin tomorrow

Try to Fifty Elite by Wilson Staff. Low spin off driver and irons I've noticed. Not bad around greens either. Very good feel as well. For 12.00 you dont feel bad either if you lose one :) I preferably like the Q-Star over the E-6 but, it's a player preference thing too. When I first started golfing, I tried the E-6. No matter what the spin is, a slice is going to slice. I sliced :/...So maybe if I tried the E-6 I'd do much better with it now and have a new outlook. But I've been gaming the W.S. Duo Elite fifty and had very good results.

As other commenters pointed out, e6 and Q-Star are very similar whenever I've played them. Maybe a little bit more spin from the Q-Star. I moved to an e5 to get a little more spin. Both the e6 and Q-Star are great options for a really great price.

Try to Fifty Elite by Wilson Staff. Low spin off driver and irons I've noticed. Not bad around greens either. Very good feel as well. For 12.00 you dont feel bad either if you lose one :) I preferably like the Q-Star over the E-6 but, it's a player preference thing too. When I first started golfing, I tried the E-6. No matter what the spin is, a slice is going to slice. I sliced :/...So maybe if I tried the E-6 I'd do much better with it now and have a new outlook. But I've been gaming the W.S. Duo Elite fifty and had very good results.

I don't mind trying a cheap ball. :) I lost 3 Q Stars last week. (That's actually pretty good for me, that bright yellow helped me find a couple I likely would have lost otherwise.

Yes I feel the QStar (2013) is more of a mid level ball it holds great on approaches and has a decent amount of spin around the green. I do feel there is more spin with the new QStar off the driver than the previous version.

I would probably say that the Bridgestone e6 is going to be a better ball as my experience shows that it has much less spin so it will help minimize how bad a bad shot can be. It would be more of the entry level ball I feel.

Over last few years I was playing the e6 then went to QStar then made it to the ZStar XV as my game progressed and my swing speed increased.

As for budget I will second the Fifty Elite very inexpensive and low compression they feel great and are low spin and the cover is soft enough to give a little bite on approaches.

I personally think both the Q-Stars and E6s are rocks. At the place where you are with your game and seeking lower spin as you mention, maybe a Titleist DT Roll or some other sub $20 ball like perhaps the Wilson Duo would be a good fit. It really all boils down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Rocks in what regard? e6 has one of the softest cores on the market.

Yeah, I have a long way to go here. :) How will the lady precept compare to the Q Star and E6? I think maybe I do just need to grab a $15 dozen at Walmart or something. Maybe some yellow Noodles.

Rocks in what regard? e6 has one of the softest cores on the market.

Rocks in that I personally think they feel harsh and don't respond well to my swing.

Yeah, I have a long way to go here. :) How will the lady precept compare to the Q Star and E6? I think maybe I do just need to grab a $15 dozen at Walmart or something. Maybe some yellow Noodles.

The Duos come in yellow. There are also some TM balls that come in yellow that are at a decent price point, can't recall the model. I think you can do better than Top Flites, but for the most part, I'd say balls in the $15-$20 range are pretty well interchangeable. Others may disagree.

Right on. Just thought it was an interesting description. I can understand not liking a ball for performance, but the e6 is as far from a rock as you can get. I get that it has a harder cover than a Tour ball, but you'll be pressed to find a softer core out there. Similar to the Duo/50 Elite in that regard.

I'll probably finish off the dozen of Q stars I have and pick up some cheapy wilsons to try out next. I need rocks. :)

The Duos are far from rocks as well. Might want to look at balls with the word 'distance' in the name if you want something hard.

I found the Q-Star and E5 to be similar in distance and feel around the green. On the green I found the Q-Star to feel softer off the putter than the E5. I like them both for the money and will not hesitate to pull a yellow Q-Star for an early morning round.

But then I also like the Noodle easy distance and soft. That has to be the most confusing 'brand' of balls out there, with little to no info online, and multiple versions of packaging depending on the sales channel. And they have yellow now, too.

Back