Srixon Q-Star - More of a Mid Level Ball?

I dont think it feels like a "rock" but around the greens the surlyn cover (any ball with a surlyn cover) just does not feel right to me. I like the feel of a urethane cover on half shots and control it much better than a surlyn. I get 3 dozen TP3 for $60 :)

Rocks in what regard? e6 has one of the softest cores on the market.

I played the Q star today, the only complaint I have with it was off the putter. It just didn't have the feel coming off the putter that I like, it's hard to explain. I've been struggling on the greens anyway this year so I'll give these another try.

I adore the 2013 Q's. One of my favorite balls out there.

Right on. Just thought it was an interesting description. I can understand not liking a ball for performance, but the e6 is as far from a rock as you can get. I get that it has a harder cover than a Tour ball, but you'll be pressed to find a softer core out there. Similar to the Duo/50 Elite in that regard.

Fair enough. I was just expressing an opinion.

Right on. Just thought it was an interesting description. I can understand not liking a ball for performance, but the e6 is as far from a rock as you can get. I get that it has a harder cover than a Tour ball, but you'll be pressed to find a softer core out there. Similar to the Duo/50 Elite in that regard.

In my BFit for the Vegas event the B'stone rep even said, the e6 has one of the softest cores out there. I freaking love that golf ball too, not as much as the Lady Precepts though. :alien:

Played the QStar for the first time today and this might be my new ball from here on. Played it next to my regular B30RX. Basically the same distance off the driver and the mid irons, but I was really impressed with the short irons and wedges. Ball felt very soft off the wedges with a little back spin on the green which I very rarely get. Felt soft off the putter with a good roll.

I'm surprised to hear the Q-star described as a rock. I find it to be just this side of a marshmallow.

Regardless, I really like the Q-star and it's my go-to winter ball.

I really like the Q Star. I've been using it for almost an entire year and I think it's a great ball for my game. I don't find it to have excessive spin off the tee and does what I need around the greens. I'm able to stick it on the greens more times than not plus I like the yellow. It is a consistent ball for me. On that note, I have used and like the E6... I just like the Q better.

Give it another try. You may have just had an off day.

Some will disagree, but I've not seen a noticeable difference in spin between the e6 and QStar around the greens. Old ones or new ones.

E6 is my favorite mid-price, surlyn cover ball.

For me the new Q star spins quite a bit more around the greens than the E6. Both great off the tee for me

Wilson Staff DUO is the only answer when talking about inexpensive and low spinning balls.

Srixon Q-Star - More of a Mid Level Ball?

I wouldn't call the Q-Star a mid level ball. It's a budget ball, intended to increase distance and minimize side spin.
I'd say its in between the E5 and E6. In my experience, they spin more than the E6 but less than the E5.
To me, just like all newer Srixon balls, the Q-Star feels too soft. It's like playing golf with a marshmallow. I still much preferred the old AD333 or even the Soft Feel to the Q-Star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I use the Q Stars quite frequently on cold days. Lower compression than what I typically hit when temps are above 60.

Wilson Staff DUO is the only answer when talking about inexpensive and low spinning balls.

While a answer, I disagree about it being the only answer.

I adore the 2013 Q's. One of my favorite balls out there.

Agree! Only ball I play. Every so often I'll drop one of the hot new products, but one swing and it's back to my Qs. All about personal preference in the end though.

I been really pondering the Q star or the nxt

The Duos are far from rocks as well. Might want to look at balls with the word 'distance' in the name if you want something hard.

The Duo has a 40 compression rate. It's lower than the Q. It's super soft. They fly a mile when I tried them. The Q still wins out between the two in my opinion.

I really tried to love the Qstar. But it just a didn't do much for me. I'm with Hawk, I saw very little differance between this and the E6.

Try to Fifty Elite by Wilson Staff. Low spin off driver and irons I've noticed. Not bad around greens either. Very good feel as well. For 12.00 you dont feel bad either if you lose one :) I preferably like the Q-Star over the E-6 but, it's a player preference thing too. When I first started golfing, I tried the E-6. No matter what the spin is, a slice is going to slice. I sliced :/...So maybe if I tried the E-6 I'd do much better with it now and have a new outlook. But I've been gaming the W.S. Elite fifty and had very good results.

I agree with this 100%. I just started gaming these, and they are long off the tee, as straight as anything, and IMO are superior to the E6 around the greens.

I'm going to be "that guy," but I honestly believe that anytime you're talking about the Q-Star and the e6, you also need to take a look at the Top-Flite Gamer. It's not a price-point or value issue. But in terms of the technology involved, the Gamer is a very similar ball. And if you like the Gamer's flight off the tee but need more green-side spin, there's a urethane covered tour version. I notice very little difference in terms of feel between the Gamer, the Q-Star, and the e6 everywhere except the short irons and wedges, where the Gamer feels a little bit firmer, but produces similar results in terms of spin, checking, and roll out. I think the Gamer deserves to be mentioned as a viable candidate in any comparison involving the Wilson Duo, Q-Star, E6, and even the Titleist NXT.

Been playing last years version of the Q-star most of the summer. Great prices at Hurricane Golf. Will check & spin back with the short irons yet seems to have less side spin for me off the driver. If I put a good driver swing on it the flight is almost like a flyer out of the rough. Hangs in the air forever and goes a long way.

It seems like a lot of people like Q Stars, which I kinda knew already. I think the point I was trying to make was a little different.

I'm an entry-level player (well, maybe a step or two above that) and I don't believe the Q Star or balls like it are a good choice for someone like me. I think when I fix my swing, and have something more repeatable and consistent, it would be a GREAT ball. If I was shooting in the low 90s or high 80s regularly, it would be a GREAT ball.

But for me, where I have to be hitting on all cylinders to break 100, it's not the right choice. Maybe what I should really do is just use balls with "Distance" in the title for now. Soft is not what I need.

Question for you. What do you think makes a ball "right" for a certain handicap?
Too little spin? Too much spin? Easy compression?

I wouldn't say it's by handicap so much as by shot type. If you struggle with a slice or hook, any ball with a decent amount of spin would hurt more than it helps. While a golfer who has it figured out a little more off the tee, and can keep it relatively straight, will then benefit from the added spin around the greens.

I wonder what the general breakdown is on THP by handicap or skill level. From my limited exposure, there seem to be more low to mid handicappers here, but that's a real benefit to me as I can learn from them.

The problem with that statement is that neither the e6 nor Q-Star are spinny balls.

The easiest way to solve your dilemma would be to get a ball fitting. Bridgestone travels around the country doing them or you coukd probably pay for one at a big box. It would be easy to get an idea of what you do best with off the tee. Sounds like you're not concerned about spin around the greens, so you could quickly find something that works.

Well, I was looking at golf stuff at Walmart today, saw a single box of yellow e6's and couldn't help myself. They claim on the box to minimize side spin, so I'll see how they work for me compared to the Qstars. I also have a pair of Wilson Duos to try.

Back