Hopkins Golf Wedges Preview Thread

Hopkins Golf Wedges Preview Thread

You thinking of replacing your other two wedges with Hopkins?

In due time. I don't have the funds to replace clubs all willy nilly like others do but when my 56 and 60 wear out then Hopkins is definitely on my list. I want a 60 with heel/toe grind badly.

Subject to change upon any contest winning that my occur! lol

Man I hit some beauties with the 60 today that saved me strokes around the green. Also had 2 chips with the 55 that left me with tap ins

I have the full sole. I like it. I prefer a medium bounce and don't ever notice the sole catching. Maybe if I tried a flop off a tight lie or something. But that just sounds silly.

Hmm maybe it's the way I'm attacking the ball on 3/4 and full swings since I don't notice it on half, chips or pitches

Really put my 60 heel through it's paces today. What a fantastic club. I hit e6 balls and with my shorter lob shots the ball either just stuck or even checked backwards, which never happened to me before. Freakin sweet. I am a high handicapper and I feel like I have a lot of control with this club, and no apprehension on open-faced or lob shots at all.

After some extended practice time and yesterday's round I think I can say I've reached an acceptable comfort level with all three new wedges when it comes to finesse swings. I wasn't particularly great greenside yesterday unfortunately, but that happens and past success tells me it was a fluke.

The bulk of my practice over the weekend was with these wedges and mostly concentrated on my Pelz swing. I had the shag bag, so I dropped 8 balls in 10 yard increments from 40-100 yards, hit my shots, grabbed the balls and did it over again. Three times in total.

One thing I've noticed with the CJ-1's is that my yardages are about 5 yards more than they were with the same swing using the 588's. This has been occuring with consistency and I have no explanation of why it would be occuring. Now, people talk longer yardages as if they are a good thing with irons/woods, but wedges are different. I just want consistent yardages, so the adjustment has been a little difficult. Tough to trust something new when you've been doing things one way for 18 months. That said, I was able to really dial that in and I'll just have to make myself trust it going forward.

Have found my way with the 49° shelf grind and used it a couple times yesterday with good success. I think I just needed a little get-familiar time with it. For having it in the bag almost a month, I've practiced very little with it and used it on the course sparingly.

Flighting the ball is very easy with the wedges, as it should be. No suprise there, but should be mentioned.

Learned that even though you have a heel grind, opening up the face isn't always the best option. Had a couple shots yesterday that I did that and the result wasn't as good as expected. On the final hole I had 30 yards to a front pin (short sided in front basically). I tried a little cut shot with an open face and while I got on the green, I wasn't nearly as close as I felt I should be. After I putted out, I went back and dropped a few balls at the spot I was in and hit the shot with a square face. Have to learn to trust the loft, because I still got plenty of height and a shot that I was able to get near the hole. Hindsight is 20/20.

They are crusty and rusty. Face is nice and dark, so no glare.

Hawk, truly a great post.

I actually am seeing the same thing yardage wise, in fact, I hit my 59 about 5 yards further than my previous 58's (MD2 and 588 RTX), I thought I was going insane at first and just catching them weird but it has been really consistent for me as time has gone on. Also really liking the spin I'm getting out of it, particularly on 3/4 to full swings, when I can stick an e6/Q/whatever and even pull a couple back, it raises my eyebrows. Granted, I've been working on my swing angle into wedges to try and pick up more spin, but still. I'm not used to that kind of stuff.

Agree on opening up, I've had to reign myself back a bit and stop opening it up just because I can. Started leaning on that in situations that there is no need to try that kind of shot. When it is needed though (like a short side pin) its been there for me.

I really need to get off my butt and grab a 54 already.

Man, I wonder what that's all about? I'll have to see if the lengths are different.

That cut shot has come in handy, so definitely a good one to have. Just need to remember that just because you can doesn't mean you should. Sometimes the easiest way is the best way!

Get it dude. No need to wait longer! I need to get the funds together for the 61°. I think it's going to happen.

Just received my 50* shelf grind today. Ordered on Friday.

These photos are just after unwrapping.
ezahu6u6.jpg

suqesa7u.jpg

y7e9apeq.jpg

I played 9 holes today in pouring rain. This is how the club looked after 1 nine hole round.

gepyzy5a.jpg

9a7uba7u.jpg

7e3ydu8a.jpg

I cannot believe how fast this wedge started to rust. I'm excited to see it a week from now!

Sent from The Galaxy Note 2

Coke bath for my wedges right now. I'm kind of excited.

Pics afterwards!

Of course.

I just hope that I don't strip any of the paint. I should be ok. But I can never be too sure.

Of course.

I just hope that I don't strip any of the paint. I should be ok. But I can never be too sure.

You'll be fine, just rinse them afterwards and don't use any sort of brush on them until after they dry for a few hours. I accidentally took off some of my paintfill but was easy to fix since I had the white paint pen already.

You'll be fine, just rinse them afterwards and don't use any sort of brush on them until after they dry for a few hours. I accidentally took off some of my paintfill but was easy to fix since I had the white paint pen already.

How long should be long enough? I was thinking tomorrow morning around 8. I put them in the bath around 4:30.

How long should be long enough? I was thinking tomorrow morning around 8. I put them in the bath around 4:30.

24 hour bath is plenty good. You could always put it right back in if you take a peek and it's not dark to your liking yet.

24 hour bath is plenty good. You could always put it right back in if you take a peek and it's not dark to your liking yet.

I'm not sure I want them that dark. Just different. I will check in them tomorrow and see what I think.

My replacement wedge shipped out today. Cant wait to get it. I am absolutely loving my 50 and 58 degree wedges.

Got my wedges out of the bath. Nice dark blue color. The light is washing it out a bit

However, I noticed that on the topline, what look like cracks. I hope it's nothing serious.

adaby7us.jpg

by9ape9u.jpg

Nice work Blu. I really like the looks of those. Any idea what the "cracks" are? Is it just that the coke took a little differently in those small areas?

Well that's good news.
Now that it's been few days, are you happy with the effects of the coke bath? Considering doing the same thing.

Sent from The Galaxy Note 2

Got my 50 shelf grind the other day. Hope to get out Monday and give it a try!

Got my 50 shelf grind the other day. Hope to get out Monday and give it a try!

Let us know!!

I am looking at getting the exact setup soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

finally pulled the trigger on three wedge set. promo code md4ms gives you free grinds $60 value for three wedges. went with 50,54 bent to 55, 60. now the waiting begins...

Back