Looks vs performance

I think a person is maturing when they realize that looks are secondary to performance - in life, as well as in most other things including golf!

Funny..Altitudes reminds me of the VAS

tappin from my big as note2

That was really mean of you....haha those clubs weren't good for anyone

I have always played a forged iron club because I have always liked the feel of a forged iron over a cast iron club.

I have no brand loyalty and I do not care what the club looks like, performance is paramount for me.

I've gotta like how it looks. But I won't use it if it doesn't help me. But I play what I would guess some people would call ugly clubs (HB3) so perhaps my standards are a little low! I would never play the VAS irons though.

Performance can make me get past the looks, but I have to at least have something about it I like look wise. Strong performance though than all but guarantees strokes dropped, I'd be a fool to not look further into.

Ok, I admit it I'm shallow. The first thing that draws me to women, cars, motorcycles, or irons is looks. I'm also old enough to have learned that looks doesn't equal performance for any of the things I listed. Fortunately, or unfortunately, for me my ability to hit irons does not seem to have anything to do with looks or design. I own and have played Cobra SGI irons, Ping Zings, Ping Ansers, Muzino MP-60s and currently MP-67s. I was fit for the Cobras and picked the other 4 based on the fact I liked the way they looked. The thing is, the only difference in performance I see between these 5 drastically different irons is that, because of loft, I'm 1 club shorter with my MP-67s.

Now, I'm the complete opposite on the top of my bag. I research before I buy my drivers, woods, and hybrids and I really don't care about looks - performance is my main goal. I was gaming a Cally FT-iq square headed driver until this spring when a fitting session showed that a Ping Anser worked much better than it and several other drivers.

I have think as golfer we are more visual in the initial stages of a club purchase. And later the performance of said club comes into play

What if company just released stats on a club prior to the pictures. Would we still buy? I know the answer so but I'm sure there are a few exceptions.

What I really want to know is when does 'look' trump 'performance'? When do we sacrifice the latest and greatest for the less favorable performer ie. Cleveland Altitudes. The only person that doesn't benefit from these clubs is Wareagle. But everyone else that has hit them, hits them well. Now these clubs look like a set of hammers to some but produce these wonderful ball flight with the feel of a standard iron. This isn't a pitch to play ugly clubs but a question as to when do you let 'looks' go and start performing.

Don't get me wrong you can have both but most golfer really can't.

I will honestly play whatever works the best for me EVERYTIME. I personally thing the Altitudes are HIDEOUS. But I would game them.
I have tried them several times now and did not like them at all. But I have gamed Niblicks, Mashies, Backstryke putter etc...
All of which were shunned to some extent by others.

I was really hoping that all the hype about the altitudes was correct. But for me it was just hype.

Good points dude. And you're right, style trumps all when it comes to shoes. Simple as that!

You guys would seriously wear shoes that hurt your feet just because they looked good???
That is retarded IMO. How am I in the minority here?

You guys would seriously wear shoes that hurt your feet just because they looked good???
I forgot my "golf shoes" one morning and had to wear my sneakers/tennis shoes. I've been wearing them ever since. There very comfy! I haven't had any slipping issues either. So I guess I use whatever works.

...Not normally.

I do have my "special occasion" shoes that are not nearly as comfortable as my M Projects that I wear when I want to look particularly nice, like with wearing trousers and everything.

Looks vs performance

I have think as golfer we are more visual in the initial stages of a club purchase. And later the performance of said club comes into play

What if company just released stats on a club prior to the pictures. Would we still buy? I know the answer so but I'm sure there are a few exceptions.

What I really want to know is when does 'look' trump 'performance'? When do we sacrifice the latest and greatest for the less favorable performer ie. Cleveland Altitudes. The only person that doesn't benefit from these clubs is Wareagle. But everyone else that has hit them, hits them well. Now these clubs look like a set of hammers to some but produce these wonderful ball flight with the feel of a standard iron. This isn't a pitch to play ugly clubs but a question as to when do you let 'looks' go and start performing.

Don't get me wrong you can have both but most golfer really can't.

For me? When I decided to hit JB's altitudes. Bar none. First couple shots I thought to myself I hit those shots good no matter what. Didn't matter what club. But when I toed a few and they still went about 95% of what I expected, done deal for me.

I need both. When I got my irons they were not even on my radar and I didn't have much confidence looking at them yet they performed the best for and now I love the looks of them.

Freddie, you silly man. We can have both!

58672.jpg

Sound effects too:

POW!!!!

I am guilty of this to some degree. I want my equipment to perform well, but look good to me.

You can have both. I don't think anyone needs to sacrifice in either department. So many options in all categories now day's you can have it all.

I think looks are what get us interested in the beginning....Hell I would love to be able to play a set of beautiful Muscle Backs, but I don't have the game for it.

At this point if I could shoot consitant low scores with hammers on a stick, then I'll do it!

I admit that I would probably never buy a set of clubs that I didn't find visually appealing. I mean we say confidence is 90% of the game right? And having a club that looks good should help with confidence I would think. Having said that, I bought a fairly expensive set of clubs last winter based entirely on looks. I wanted so bad for them to work, but they never felt right and I felt like I had no control of them, so I gave up on them after about 15 rounds and went back to my Hogans. Which, when I'm swinging well (which hasn't been for quite a while), will do whatever I expect them to, and feel like butter when a shot is purely struck. Plus, they are very nice looking clubs in my opinion. So I feel that I do have both with my current set and seriously doubt I will ever play another iron.

I think performance is first and foremost, but confidence certainly comes into play and comfort, which is certainly affected by looks.

I think everyone has a line in the sand somewhere. I was just recalling some great times at TopGolf with some THPers where a couple of us were absolutely murdering the ball with the TopGolf branded rental set that had plumber's necks, guide rails, and weird flex shafts. Even if we could replicate those results on the course, I'm not sure any of us would actually game those clubs... :)

something i do not like much at all are crazy looking putters. I know alot of guys game them but i have the same old putter for ever. Fairly plain looking silver, white and touch of black with one small flat piece out the back with one line on it. Pretty old fasion by todays standards but i love the thing. i got it so long i cant even remember the name right now without going to look at it. i think these putters today get too crazy looking and a bit over the top imo.

I've chescked a bunch out in stores here and there but not only do i not care for the looks of them but havnt found anything that feels any better to me than my existing one. I even though of buying a very similar one. They do still make them but then I still dont feel any different hitting it anyway. It has been pretty good to me through the years though so i just keep staying with it. too bad i cant say that about all the other clubs ..lol

I need my clubs first and foremost to have solid performance. If that means using something that others might smirk at, so be it.

A look that you like will perform equally to one that you don't like but is better for your game. A look in which you are confident will definitely help you play better.

Tapping from my IPhone

I don't care how well a club performed, if I didn't like the look of it I wouldn't use it. Performance helps me obviously hit the shot, but the it's the visual look that inspires confidence for me.

Back