TaylorMade SLDR Driver Preview

I had a chance to get on the range with a couple different shafts in the new SLDR driver this weekend, and then spend some time with an unbelievable club fitter in Bob Vansweden. I do wish I had of taken maybe half the swings I did before getting on the monitor, but it was sooooo worth it.

I started out with the standard TP shaft with the 9.5 head, and I was hitting it pretty well. A bit of a rising shot, I wasn't entirely sold on the shaft pairing, and started to get a bit creative in the staff bag absolutely LOADED with shaft options.

Next in was the AD-DI 7x at the suggestion of Bob, and it was a machine. Not only was it penetrating and far (for me), it was very accurate and I did not hit many turning shots with it, mostly just long straight arrows with maybe a slight left turn. I am going to try and get more information about the AD-DI7x and see what similar shafts are out there, but in any case, the pairing was exceptional for me.

It's tough to start with such a good pairing, because the rest seem to be a downgrade. I dropped in an Oban Devotion 5 afterwards (I can't remember the weight) and while the contact and flight was still really good, I don't think it measured up to the AD-DI overall. In reality, it seemed like I had to work a bit harder to get the ideal flight, maybe because of the stiffness of the shaft.

We joked around a bit and decided to drop the Kiyoshi in (because anybody who is anybody should probably want to play a Kiyoshi haha). Unfortunately by that time, I was pretty gassed from the sun and swinging, and most of the results were pull draws, so I stopped for a bit and went to grab some food.

Upon returning, many of the guys were done with their iron fittings, so I chatted with Bob and jumped on the monitor with the AD-DI 7x in the 9.5 head, set to neutral. I hit about 5 shots, and he seemed pleased by the results. A couple of them were smash factor of 1.49, carrying nearly 260, and getting some solid roll. Spin rates flirted with the 2500 range which is just absolutely beyond me. Also averaging a launch angle of just over 11 degrees, which again is a big win for me.

Much of the golf I play up here in Ohio is around softer fairways, and I GPS most of my well struck drives to check for distance, often times finding my ball sitting beside the divot it creates on the fly. Many of the drives I have come to expect are more in the 265-275 carry when I really get solid contact, so I talked to him about that and we decided to switch it up to the Kai-li 70x which I hit a bit higher and a bit spinnier, and then switched to my gamer which I definitely hit higher and spun more. Distance wise, I was seeing much of the same on my best strike with my gamer than the average strikes of the SLDR.

Sound has been improved tremendously. I'd need to hit it more to really give you a clear indication of sound, but I think that might be the best part -- The neutrality of the sound really just makes it a solid noise overall.

I am not a guy who likes to flight or work a driver, so I can't really speak to that, however, I hit the SLDR with the settings adjusted to a fade bias, and there's no doubt in my mind that it works, because the couple I hit with it on that setting (unknowingly on that setting, at that) were fades.

Hopefully you enjoyed the recap as much as I enjoyed the experience. Having that many shafts to play around with along with an awesome fitter in Bob was such a treat for me. Having him hand me shafts and solidifying my opinion to play that style of shaft was also such a huge confidence booster.

Thanks again TaylorMade and THP. What an experience. Worth every mile I sat in planes hahaha!

Thanks for sharing your experiences Dan. I think the next step in my equipment will be a driver fitting with someone that really knows their stuff.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Dan. I think the next step in my equipment will be a driver fitting with someone that really knows their stuff.

Not just someone who knows their stuff, but on an open range, with a good launch monitor, with many, MANY shaft options to try. I can't say enough about how in-hand swing testing allows you to determine if a shaft/head pairing suit your game. It was awesome to have that many shafts to pick from.

I have not tried it, but I was fit for the Red Tie in it, with the 12* model.

How do you find that combo JB?

I tried the 12* with the stock shaft and the results were ok but not quite as good as my R1 and RUL set up. The RUL in the SLDR worked well but again on a par with the R1 (set to 11.25*). The problem with putting my RUL in the SLDR is I was never sure what setting I was creating due to the different markings on the sleeve?

I swing in the low 90's so have been hitting a reg and also realising now, like a lot of guys have mentioned, that I want to get the ball flight higher to max out carry. I am also quite high on the back spin and found the R1 great in bringing that down, this is why I thought the SLDR with the White Tie would be a good option? If I'm honest I did prefer the feel and sound of the SLDR v R1 but the R1 is a fairway finder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To me its not as much about a "like" as it is about a "fit". I like the SLDR based on looks and sound. It was far too low spin for me, so to counteract that, I went to a 12* head. Once there I was able to test with 4 different shafts and the Red Tie fit the best (I could have tested with about 10 more, but the Red Tie was perfect).

Not sure it will replace my current gamer, which has been great for me and is more forgiving but I like what I see out of this one.

The SLDR driver, for me, produced the highest launching, lowest spinning ballflight compared to every other mainstream OEM driver in a recent TrackMan fitting. Once I was able to dial in the correct shaft, there was nothing else that could come close to producing the same #'s on the launch monitor. I can't believe how low spin it still is even at higher lofts (10.5-12*).

To me its not as much about a "like" as it is about a "fit". I like the SLDR based on looks and sound. It was far too low spin for me, so to counteract that, I went to a 12* head. Once there I was able to test with 4 different shafts and the Red Tie fit the best (I could have tested with about 10 more, but the Red Tie was perfect).

Not sure it will replace my current gamer, which has been great for me and is more forgiving but I like what I see out of this one.

Interesting that you say the J40 is more forgiving than the SLDR. As I've had success with the J40, I've been intrigued by the SLDR and its low-spin properties.

The SLDR driver, for me, produced the highest launching, lowest spinning ballflight compared to every other mainstream OEM driver in a recent TrackMan fitting. Once I was able to dial in the correct shaft, there was nothing else that could come close to producing the same #'s on the launch monitor. I can't believe how low spin it still is even at higher lofts (10.5-12*).

Cool to see you on this forum DTown, remember you all the way back to the BSG days and maybe even GolfOpinions. Hope you keep participating over here, it's a good place.

Interesting that you say the J40 is more forgiving than the SLDR. As I've had success with the J40, I've been intrigued by the SLDR and its low-spin properties.

Cool to see you on this forum DTown, remember you all the way back to the BSG days and maybe even GolfOpinions. Hope you keep participating over here, it's a good place.

Good to be here!

My new TaylorMade SLDR will be here in the next day or so ready for trial at the course this weekend.
12* head
Matrix Red Tie shaft

My new TaylorMade SLDR will be here in the next day or so ready for trial at the course this weekend.
12* head
Matrix Red Tie shaft

Got any other specific drivers to match it up against or just taking it for a spin and seeing what happens?

Got any other specific drivers to match it up against or just taking it for a spin and seeing what happens?

I was fit for this setup. So I decided to give it a try. We will see how it competes against my current gamer.

I was fit for this setup. So I decided to give it a try. We will see how it competes against my current gamer.

Excellent...looking forward to the feedback

Hitting this better than ever. Can't believe the clubs I hit into greens nowadays! #driverlove

Hit it again today. Numbers were...well really good for me. These are the averages after around 20 balls:

Distance: 273yrds
Spin: 2289
Launch: 12.9*

It will be mine.

Those are some attractive numbers. How do you find the accuracy with such low spin?

I have not tried it, but I was fit for the Red Tie in it, with the 12* model.

Sounds like a great combo to me. Looking forward to your results!

I found it interesting watching the Senior Tour event yesterday that most of the guys with Taylormade drivers were still using their R1's where I haven't seen a R1 on the PGA tour in a long time. I'm guessing the guys with the faster swings on the PGA are able to utilize the capabilities of the SLDR vs the guys on the Senior Tour who might have lost a bit of swing speed. Any thoughts on that?

The more I see and read about this club, the more it interreges me. I'm going to have to hit this puppy soon, I think.

Those are some attractive numbers. How do you find the accuracy with such low spin?

Sounds like a great combo to me. Looking forward to your results!

Unfortunately wasn't able to see ball flight as it was on a sim. Judging by the sim, a lot of them were straight, which is what I tend to hit anyways. Really want to get this thing outside at some point.

I am dumb on this but what effects would too low a spin have. I hit the 9.5 with stiff stock shaft and my spin numbers were under 2000.

I hit up a simulator with this beast, and couldn't seem to get it dialed in. I'm sure I'd need a professional opinion though.

That being said, I was hitting it 260 with iffy contact. To put that into perspective, my top of the line distance with my R11S is right around that...

Color me intrigued.

12* head
Matrix Red Tie shaft

Just out of curiosity, what degree loft is your current driver?

With the talk of the low spin numbers I would think the 12 head is what I would need. I think I would open it up a touch and see what it could do.

With the talk of the low spin numbers I would think the 12 head is what I would need. I think I would open it up a touch and see what it could do.

Trying to generate a fade? The sliding weight is 100% legit. I need more time with that thing, but I am pretty confident in the different in flight it makes.

I wouldnt have a choice anything less will be tim wakefield knucklers

Trying to generate a fade? The sliding weight is 100% legit. I need more time with that thing, but I am pretty confident in the different in flight it makes.

Not opening to generate a fade. But the open setting works better for my swing, at least on other drivers. I'm interested to see how much the weight changes things.

I took some cuts with this one on Sunday, both on the range and in play during my round. Very interesting driver this one is. Sets up at address perfectly to my eye, just love the look of it.

Starting out with this one, it was set on the higher loft of 12* with the sliding weight on the Neutral setting. Hitting this one the range, I was greeted with one of the best sounding drivers TaylorMade has put out in quite some time. What I was seeing was definitely impressive. Nice high ball flight, good distance, and straight...dead straight. That had me excited, and I was hitting this one dead on the screws.

Took it to the course, and was seeing more of the same. I would take my normal line down the left side of the fairway, and would hit it dead on my line, with little to no movement on the ball.

Then, the back 9 happened. My swing was tired, and I just couldnt get it to go. My swing wasnt what it needed to be, and I wasnt getting a good move on the ball. The miss was penalizing, for sure. Low, and very very right. I was able to put a few more good swings on it, but was surprised at how much difference there was between my good shots and my bad shots. Didnt seem to be much "in between."

I didnt adjust any settings, just left it neutral with the sliding weight and left it on the higher loft. Like I said, when hit well, I was pounding it...enough so that I am quite eager to get one in hand to get some more work with. I am quite intrigued by the sliding weight on the bottom to see what it does for my slightly strong power-cut that I have been known to do.

Back