Best Value (<$20 a Doz) Golf Ball

POKeefe

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a tendency to lose some balls since I'm a high handicapper, so I prefer to spend $1 per ball or less. I have been playing the Taylormade Superdeep the last few weeks since it was on sale recently, but wanted everyone's opinion on what they think would be the best "budget" golf ball. I noticed the Taylormade Penta TP3 3-dozen box that comes out to $17 per dozen and wanted to know if you thought there were any better balls for the price.

If I'm trying to get real cheap I play Wilson Staff 50 Elites.

For me it would be the Gamer V2s

Birdie Golf sells ProV1 for 18.99 a dozen. Yes they are "experienced"(aka used) but thats a great price for a premium ball. They also sell Bridgestone B330 and e lines as well for really cheap.

Went I go play in scrambles I generally buy a dozen Nike Sft. It's right around the $20 doz range and soft enough for what I like to feel off an iron but I also don't mind much when I lose them after trying to bomb one off the tee. Stupid scrambles...

I agree with Hawk, nice ball for around $12.99 per dozen. Wilson Duo is a little more $19.99 but a great ball.

I agree with Hawk, nice ball for around $12.99 per dozen. Wilson Duo is a little more $19.99 but a great ball.

Yea it's not bad. Super soft. I like some others better, but just sticking with the $1 ball theme.

I've been playing Slazenger Raw Distance Feel. Got 4 dozen for $30. I've been pleasantly surprised so far. They get good ratings all over the interwebs.

I'm with you there. I don't mind those balls at all. Usually keep some around ever since the 50/50 came out.

Nothing wrong with picking up used balls. I got a bucket of 50 Pentas from lost golf balls for 25 dollars and only 5 of them were not good.

Nothing wrong with picking up used balls. I got a bucket of 50 Pentas from lost golf balls for 25 dollars and only 5 of them were not good.

For used, what ball would you recommend as a good value (TP5, TP3, Non-TM)? I supposed used isn't a horrible idea if they are 1st quality balls.

When I was searching for cheap balls I found some TM penta practice balls on clearance for $14.97 a dozen. I've gone through a dozen or two and like them quite a bit, especially for the price.

I've heard nothing but good things about Snake Eyes Soft Distance, and they're on sale right now for $12/dozen.

I've heard nothing but good things about Snake Eyes Soft Distance, and they're on sale right now for $12/dozen.

I saw on one of the older threads that someone scored 3 dozen of those for $20. Might have to check my local Golfsmith out sometime soon.

Not the best deal but I like the Nike PD Softs. They are around 16 bucks a box and can be bought just about everywere and are not to terrible.

If you like Srixon, Dicks Sporting Goods has the Trispeed Tour on sale for 2 doz for $35.

I saw on one of the older threads that someone scored 3 dozen of those for $20. Might have to check my local Golfsmith out sometime soon.

I posted my review of these HERE. The 3 doz/20 was the closeouts and they're gone it seems, but the standard price on these is still 3 doz/ $30 which still works out to $.83 / ball. I've been trying various inexpensive balls lately just as comparisons for the fun of it, and here is my quick list.

Nike Mojo - don't like them at all...feel like granite off a putter. Fine off the tee.
Pinnacle Gold - better than Mojos, a bit click-y off the putter, and firm feeling off a wedge. Fine tee distance, satisfying 'thwack' sound on the driver
Wilson Staff Fifty Elite - my favorite ball at the moment. Long off the tee, great chipping feel, like butter off the putter.
Snake Eyes SDF Soft Feel - still the best value in cheap balls IMO. Not quite as soft as the Wilsons in the feel dept. but much better than any other $1-or-less ball.

I said it in my review, and will say it again here: if you are a high-ish handicapper, I can't see any reason to spend more on other golf balls...these Snake Eyes Soft Feel and the W/S Fifty Elite perform at a level that is well beyond the price point.

Last edited:
I agree with Hawk....for the $1 a ball category it's hard to beat the Wilson Staff 50 Elite, The Lady Precept is a good all around ball too and I have found TM TP3's pretty cheap lately....that is still one of my favorite balls.

Back