The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

Hopefully she didn't attack him with a 9 iron! Just having some tiger flashbacks! ;)

This thread has turned into a coffee clutch...

There's a lot of gossip in here. So where do the men post?

He was an embarrassment as a putter this season and THAT, not the move to Nike irons/wedges/driver killed his season...and the stats show that.

Discuss.

I was one of those that said that Rory was probably a little distracted by being you, rich, and with a hot underwear model tennis player girlfriend. So I think it is relevant that their relationship is ending.

That doesn't mean he will focus on golf or get back to #1. But it is an important event in Rory's you life.

He was an embarrassment as a putter this season and THAT, not the move to Nike irons/wedges/driver killed his season...and the stats show that.

Discuss.

The few times that he put his Scameron back into play, he was still bad at putting. hopefully that ability didn't vanish on him.

Discuss.

Agree. His performances gave a lot of hackers the feeling that they too could make the PGA TOUR. "Even the pros can shank a three foot putt.... just. like. me!!!!"

The few times that he put his Scameron back into play, he was still bad at putting. hopefully that ability didn't vanish on him.

Its his achilles heel right now when you look at his stats. Plus, how many 3-4 footers did he miss this year, it was insane.

Its his achilles heel right now when you look at his stats. Plus, how many 3-4 footers did he miss this year, it was insane.

It was downright painful. If I remember right, when he did miss, it wasn't lip outs either. Combination of bad reads and bad mechanics really made it a house of horrors for him on the greens. It wasn't the putter itself, despite what anybody wants to say.

He didn't have a bad year driving the ball. His iron play was alright. he just couldn't putt.

I am excited to go to the driving range that Rory is going to own and operate.

It was downright painful. If I remember right, when he did miss, it wasn't lip outs either. Combination of bad reads and bad mechanics really made it a house of horrors for him on the greens. It wasn't the putter itself, despite what anybody wants to say.

He didn't have a bad year driving the ball. His iron play was alright. he just couldn't putt.

Yep, it was PAINFUL to watch at times for sure.

I agree it was the flatstick that let him down, but I'm not dismissing changing putters and the ball as at least a factor in his putting woes. I know switching between balls can, at the very least, cause some speed differences which may have cause a few missed putts early on. Think about how long it takes you to build up confidence in those 3-4 footers, and how quick one missed tap in can shatter any good feelings over those putts. I have a feeling the change affected his early season performance, and it was mostly mental after that.

I agree it was the flatstick that let him down, but I'm not dismissing changing putters and the ball as at least a factor in his putting woes. I know switching between balls can, at the very least, cause some speed differences which may have cause a few missed putts early on. Think about how long it takes you to build up confidence in those 3-4 footers, and how quick one missed tap in can shatter any good feelings over those putts. I have a feeling the change affected his early season performance, and it was mostly mental after that.

Which is frightening to me. I always read and hear about how well Tour Pros can move past a bad hole and just focus on the next shot. That when they lose that focus is when things unravel. Should be noted, I don't think Rory is going the way of Ian Baker Finch.

I agree to an extent, but some of those misses were more than just a lip out or edge burning miss, some were 1-2-3 cups right or left, from that distance, I don't think the ball plays as much of a role in a miss like that. Sure it takes and adjustment, but those were some GLARING misses.

I think he needs to move to a Bridgestone ball like Tiger. JMO though. :alien:

I agree to an extent, but some of those misses were more than just a lip out or edge burning miss, some were 1-2-3 cups right or left, from that distance, I don't think the ball plays as much of a role in a miss like that. Sure it takes and adjustment, but those were some GLARING misses.

I think he needs to move to a Bridgestone ball like Tiger. JMO though. :alien:

getting rid of the RZN ball could certainly help him. Tour D is where it's at.

getting rid of the RZN ball could certainly help him. Tour D is where it's at.

I honestly can't believe they're sticking with the RZN thing, it has improved, but sheesh.

I honestly can't believe they're sticking with the RZN thing, it has improved, but sheesh.

I played a One Tour and Tour D yesterday during my round. If I do it, Rory should.

I played a One Tour and Tour D yesterday during my round. If I do it, Rory should.

Clearly. You're the Deano. Duh.

Are you saying that switching balls affected his speed on the greens?

maybe he should switch to s55's too. Unleash his inner Jamesman

Heaven help the golf world if that were to happen!

oh man. Imagine that? I hope Rory has a strong year next year. Doesn't need to win majors, but a strong campaign with a couple wins would be really good to see.

oh man. Imagine that? I hope Rory has a strong year next year. Doesn't need to win majors, but a strong campaign with a couple wins would be really good to see.

Not that big of a deal since Rory already plays Mizuno irons :bulgy-eyes:

Are you saying that switching balls affected his speed on the greens?

I think the combination of a new putter and ball affected his judgement of speed/how hard to hit a putt. Doesnt havent to be much to miss a putt.

I've said it a lot about the ONE RZN X. It is expensive. Not urethane. Clicky. Not durable. But they perform like a mother. I have one in my bag that bounced off a cart path, has a flat side, two other wedge scuffs. I just can't help but hit that thing straight, somewhat far, and hold greens. I don't play it often because I don't want to lose it. If the ONE RZN was in the sub $30 range, it would be my full time gamer.

I've said it a lot about the ONE RZN X. It is expensive. Not urethane. Clicky. Not durable. But they perform like a mother. I have one in my bag that bounced off a cart path, has a flat side, two other wedge scuffs. I just can't help but hit that thing straight, somewhat far, and hold greens. I don't play it often because I don't want to lose it. If the ONE RZN was in the sub $30 range, it would be my full time gamer.

To this day though I've never seen another ball that has as much as a 30 yard variance for me based on the temperature outside. I know they improved that this year, but still, ouch.

Back