Jumbo Max Grips Review Thread

Makes sense now...if SM is small I'd like to see how huge the LG are.

Whew I sized fitted to the LG, but in the letter states we may not receive the size we were fitted to.

What size did you self fit yourself to and what size were you provided for testing?

There were fantastic posts last night with several of my fellow testers kicking it off! Excellent work guys, you are slowly taking stuff away from what I was going to cover in my initial post, haha.

I will have an appropriate post up here in a bit but I can say that I was unable to install these with the Pure air system. The butt end of a size small grip is just a bit too big to fit into the Pure gun so I will be installing the traditional route as it states in JumboMax's installation instructions.

What size did you self fit yourself to and what size were you provided for testing?

Self fit to Large. Sent small JumboMax grips. The letter states you may receive a different size than what you were self fit for.

Glad I looked at the picture posted by Dev. Didn't want to think I was reviewing the Large when in fact I had the Small in hand.

I will have an appropriate post up here in a bit but I can say that I was unable to install these with the Pure air system. The butt end of a size small grip is just a bit too big to fit into the Pure gun so I will be installing the traditional route as it states in JumboMax's installation instructions.

Thanks for the update. I am going to try a different air gun attachment this morning. If not it will be the solvent method for me.

Good stuff so far guys! Looking forward to reading your thoughts once you get them out on the course.

Self fit to Large. Sent small JumboMax grips. The letter states you may receive a different size than what you were self fit for.

Glad I looked at the picture posted by Dev. Didn't want to think I was reviewing the Large when in fact I had the Small in hand.

When I read that I panicked and Immediately looked to see what size I got. Would be curious to see if anyone received a LG or bigger.

For starters, I first must say THANK YOU to JumboMax and THP for the opportunity to review these grips which I am seriously intrigued by.

A little about me: have ranged from a 8-11 handicap over the past 18 months or so, currently hovering in the mid 10 range. My handicap is where it’s at because of random things – a thinned shot here, a shank there, a fat here. I don’t have a big slice or a sweeping hook. Typical ball flight is straight to a slight draw, (albeit with an occasional dead push right), and last time out I was seeing a hard draw/pull about 10 yards left of target.

I have played a Jumbo Max grip years ago (size large on a driver) and from what I can recall, I initially liked it but then slowly saw more and more misses and gave up on it. Very likely that I would’ve had those same issues regardless of grip as I do have an unorthodox golf swing, but it was easy for me to blame the grip and make a change back to standard so that’s what I did.

Hope: Unlike some of my other testers, I think I may have a little different idea of what I’m hoping to get from these grips. I don’t have a bad miss left or right so I’m not seeking help there. My common miss would be a thinned shot so I have recently made a bit more of a concerted effort to drive down through the ball. These grips make you FEEL like you have more control over the club and more power in your hands, for lack of a better term. I relate it to a pickaxe; it is much easier to drive a pickaxe into the ground with a bigger handle rather than a small one.

Upon being selected I did the self fit on their website and it said a medium was right for me. I wear a regular medium glove (no cadet, etc). The package arrived last night and I promptly opened it up to see what awaited me. I will spare a ton of photos as Sharkman kicked us off nicely there, but I can tell you I was sent size small grips. It will be interesting to see the difference since I previously tried the large grip on a driver.

The 3 clubs I will be installing them on are: TM R1 driver, TM SpeedBlade 7i, and Cleveland RTX MB 54* (I use this wedge for just about everything within 100 yards including greenside). They will be getting installed prior to a range session that will most likely occur on Sunday morning.

Here are some photos I snapped last night to show some comparisons, my apologies if these are duplicates to what was posted last night by some fellow testers.

JumboMax small grips compared to THP Pure grips:

6a8y9eme.jpg

ajazy2yv.jpg

abysypy9.jpg

JumboMax small grip compared against the JumboMax large grip I already owned/previously used:

u5u5avuh.jpg

5agequru.jpg

Here is the chart that was sent with the grips showing the various diameters & grip weights etc:

8atyvune.jpg

Last edited:
Atta boy Cookie. I have plenty of swing flaws to go around.. Haha I too am a sweeper and hit a lot of thinned shots. Been working on hitting down on the ball so hopefully these help us sort this out.

There were fantastic posts last night with several of my fellow testers kicking it off! Excellent work guys, you are slowly taking stuff away from what I was going to cover in my initial post, haha.

Appreciate you trying!

Appreciate you trying!

I actually have one more idea using a small nozzle through the butt end without the Pure attachment.

Still hopeful!!

I didn't realize how much heavier these things are then your avg standard grip. Wondering if anyone who is planning on trying one on a ultra-lite club where the OEM throws on a light grip would see any issues.

I didn't realize how much heavier these things are then your avg standard grip. Wondering if anyone who is planning on trying one on a ultra-lite club where the OEM throws on a light grip would see any issues.

I have a CG Black arriving Monday. If you want I can wait and install it on there.

I have a CG Black arriving Monday. If you want I can wait and install it on there.

Up to you, it's your show here. I think it'd be interesting to see. Looks like the grip you have will weight almost 80 grams more than the stock on that club. Almost like back weighting the club

Up to you, it's your show here. I think it'd be interesting to see. Looks like the grip you have will weight almost 80 grams more than the stock on that club. Almost like back weighting the club

I am here to review the grips. If someone has a request or suggestion, I am happy to accommodate. Will regrip the 6 iron and PW for this weekend. Will throw it on the CG Black on Monday.

I can't get over the size of these. Really interested to hear how testing goes when you guys get on course. Great start so far!

Makes sense now...if SM is small I'd like to see how huge the LG are.

Whew I sized fitted to the LG, but in the letter states we may not receive the size we were fitted to.

I was also measured for a LG, but sent Med.

Got these bad boys installed last night and was hoping to hit the range today, but looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate.

When reading up on these I had the same concern. Maybe this will increase clubhead speed on the driver? We shall see!

Installation:
This morning I set my agenda to install the JumboMax Small Oversized Grips on my XHot Driver, 8Iron, and 60 Degree Wedge.

Along with the shipment Dominant Golf included an instruction sheet that outlined step by step instructions on how to install the grips.
ube8ynab.jpg

I used the air gun method along with minimal solvent which worked quite well.
Picture of the adapter used and air gun:
6e7u5uju.jpg

Placed into the butt end of grip:

y9yny2u5.jpg

I was able to install these with about 90 psi on all three clubs within 10 mins.

Now the difficult part will be the drying period prior to hitting up the range.

5y3yzude.jpg

Initial Feel:
The grips do not feel that overwhelming when taking a grip. First thing noticed is the decreased grip pressure need to feel connected to the club.

I actually have one more idea using a small nozzle through the butt end without the Pure attachment.

Still hopeful!!
Sorry I did not think to mention this--I use a more standard gun with needle attachment for my air system and not the pure brand--although I did get the whole air idea from their website back then.

When reading up on these I had the same concern. Maybe this will increase clubhead speed on the driver? We shall see!

You know....I truly believe that you can easily increase SS with this on. There is something about that thicker grip that just makes you feel more in control of the club.

If any of our testers had easy access to a LM, I would love to see the comparison.

You know....I truly believe that you can easily increase SS with this on. There is something about that thicker grip that just makes you feel more in control of the club.

If any of our testers had easy access to a LM, I would love to see the comparison.

Totally agree here. Just holding the club in the garage makes me feel like I could really crank one.

UPS just rang my doorbell with my package. To late to do much with today and I will not be able to install until Monday. I'll be installing with my air gun and hitting the range shortly after. By using the air gun, I will be able to move them around and try different clubs during the testing. Driver, 7 iron, and 50* will be up first but I do want to try on my Altitudes and FW's as well as other wedges. These will definitely backweight the club and I would think it would give a small increase in SS. The website indicates the club will feel 2 swingweights lighter FWTW.

Played today and was thinking of how these would feel. Good golfing weather next week will let me get three rounds in for the testing.

I might be able to do that this weekend.

Mine should be here tomorrow, and I am ready to try them out.

I received my "small" sized grips yesterday, and today I was able to install them. Having never changed grips myself, it wasn't bad at all. I've installed the grips on my driver, 7 iron, and Awesome Wedge (50° gap wedge).

I've really struggled off of the tee this year with hooking the ball. I'm really looking forward to put this grip/driver combo to the test. The SpeedBlade 7 iron has been my second favorite iron in the whole set. I hit it 170 yards, and I seem to find myself at that yardage quite a bit. If I'm at all nervous about the larger grips, it would have to be the one on my Awesome Wedge. It is by far my favorite iron in the SpeedBlade set. I use it from 115 yards and in. I play full shots, pitches, and bump and run shots. It's been really versatile for me, and I only have one other wedge in my bag (currently) and only because it has more loft and I can play a higher flight and most sand shots with it. This will be a good test of the oversize grip on that club.

Initial thoughts? To me, they look and feel almost like a tennis racquet grip. Size wise, they are large, but definitely not overly grotesque. They are firm, but you can squeeze them. And, mine are tackier than I was expecting. I literally just finished gripping them, so I haven't taken any full swings, but just holding and waggling them, I like the feel/weighting of them.

I will have a bunch more thoughts tomorrow when I have the time to sit down and write them out, but definitely excited to get going on this.

Last edited:
Today I had my first live action with my newly gripped GW (49*), 7i, and Driver. Very excited to share my thoughts, so I'd like to thank Jumbo Max Grips and THP for the opportunity. Anyone, please feel free to contact me if there are any questions I can answer.

About Me: I'm a high handicapper who struggles with the rights. Well struck mid-iron shots typically fade 5 yards or so, and I almost never miss left. 7i is my go to club for anything in the 160-170 yard range, GW is 105 consistently, and a good drive for me is 250. I'm especially interested to see if the Jumbo Max grips will improve my release on longer shots and help quiet the hands around the green.

Initial Impressions: I'll spare you the unboxing details as my package looked exactly like everyone else's. This was my first attempt at installing my own grips, and I had no issues. In fact, getting the old grips and tape off were by far the most time consuming part (as I'm sure most already know). The point is, these grips didn't make it any harder.

The feel is fantastic. Very soft material that fits in the fingers and across the palm naturally. You feel in total control when gripping the club. Solid is the term that comes to mind.

Performance:
For the first out, I only brought the 3 clubs with Jumbo Max Grips. In other sessions I'll switch back and forth to my standard-gripped clubs, but for this time I wanted to only focus on feel and ball flight rather than distance Although as you'll see, I failed to ignore the distance completely. Can you really blame me?

I mentioned in my intro that my GW is consistent. As a matter of fact, I have more confidence with that club than any other. Repeatable distance and accurate by my standards. With the Jumbo Max grip I saw more of the same. Very straight and consistent. I don't know if it's physically possible, but I did seem like the ball flight was higher (!) than normal. I'm not sure if the larger grip and it's additional weight could cause this or if my mind was playing tricks on me, but I'm including it here as something I want to keep an eye on. Truth be told, I'm a sweeper so I hit the ball too high as it is, so it takes a really high ball to jump out at me. Bottom line though, I was dropping balls on top of one another so I'm fine with a little more height and losing a few yards. It was hard to get an exact distance at this range (and I tried not to pay attention to it!), but I had a good cluster between 95-100 yards. Getting on a course will be better test.

I moved on to hit about 25 balls with the 7i and this is where I noticed a difference. My typical 5 yard fade wasn't there. I even turned a few to the left when I tried. Height seemed typical with this club, but I'm used to a very high ball. I had several mis-hits (as usual), but they all were going straight, just off target. Perhaps I was just having a better-than-normal session, but I'm usually good for a few banana balls. Didn't happen today. Maybe I'm releasing the club better, or maybe I was just on. Definitely intrigued to see if this continues. The ball wasn't carrying much past the 150 marker if at all, which is shorter than I'd expect (usually 160). Again, course conditions will be a better indicator of true distance, but something to keep an eye on.

Driver saw some signs of life, but was inconsistent as always. The misses were different than I'm used to seeing. I popped several up which was more than usual. There were fewer slices, and even a couple hooks (!). Distance was horrid even on the 10 or so that I did hit well. Good thing I was ignoring distance, huh? All in all, I was all over the place. I missed left, right, and up but I'm not ready to blame it on the grip just yet (although it might be nice to have another excuse in my back pocket :alien2:)

Overall: It was a good first session. The feel is outstanding. I hit about 75 balls without a glove, and probably could have gone 75 more without any blistering. I felt like I was releasing the clubhead better than usual, but I need more sessions to see if it was just one of those days. Good thing I was ignoring distance this time, because it seemed shorter across the board :alien:.

In my next session, I'm going to work in other irons with the standard grips to see a few things:
1) Any difference in releasing the club properly?
2) What are the distance gaps?
3) Will I struggle transitioning from one size to the other in my bag?
4) Suggestions? (eventually I'd like to get this in various course situations: sand, rough, punch, etc)

Thanks for reading!

Back