Sub Shops - The Chains

I've only seen them in Hess stations recently. Publix is a nice choice, same with Wawa

Publix is my favorite and Wawa steak n cheese with pepperoni , omg

It's not a shop, but Publix subs are better than everything on the list.

Firehouse is probably my favorite, but I eat subway the most because they are everywhere, fast and cheap as hell. I don't care for Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mikes are good when you are in the mood for one of their offerings. I used to really like Quiznos, but they have gone down hill and gotten too expenisve. I haven't had a Blimpie in years, do they still have standalone stores or are they only in Hess now?

Slightly OT, but when we lost Schnucks up here, we called Publix to see if they would venture into this market. Publix rocks and Kroger sucks!

JM

Not on this list: Wawa. Pretty good subs there. Also not on the list is Primo Hoagies, which is phenomenal too.

Planet sub is growing into a chain the past couple years and are awesome. Love that place.

We only have Subway and Quizno's off of that list. I like Subway and Mr. Sub (Canadian chain).

We only have Subway and Quizno's off of that list. I like Subway and Mr. Sub (Canadian chain).

I eat a lot of subway, but just because its not greasy. Mr. Sub had some different options that I liked, but was never a fan of their bread.

If I eat Quiznos, its only because I have a craving for honey mustard or horseradish sauce.... Chicken Carbonara with Horseradish, jalapenos, and pickles.... so good but sounds so disgusting.

A couple pizza places here in town make monstrous BLT subs for really cheap... nothing like 2 lbs of bacon for supper.

Jimmy John's
Why? Because my daughter, who discovered them while away at college, says so :)

I will confess a soft spot for Blimpie though, since:
a) Worked there and was, at the time in the 60's, one of the oldest living delivery boys - mid 20's with a 17-18 year old boss;
b) chain started by 3 guys who share my Jersey City alma mater.
c) fond memories of Blimpies brought by a friend to games at Yankee Stadium.

Publix gets my vote for #1. Why? Generous with the meat, good bread selection, and the Boars Head dill pickles they have to go on the subs are the bomb. Actually, Publix is the only sub place I request pickles.

As for the rest -

Quiznos have vanished in Augusta - I think they were good but overpriced.
Subway is just okay - a bit skimpy on meat but easy on the budget.
Jimmy John's is very good, just not near enough to visit easily.
Not much to say nice about Blimpies.
Firehouse was excellent, but my last 3 visits there I got tough gristly meat and I am avoiding the one near me because of that.
Jersey Mike's is a Pepsi place so I have never eaten there. (Diet Coke drinker)

Jimmy Johns is probably my favorite right now
Which Wich is good...try the surf and turf...roast beef and crab meat...YUMMY!
Schlotzsky's is great for the Orginal...love the bread..not sure if they are nationwide or not
still haven't tried Firehouse.

I have found that Subways are highly variable - some of them are awful but some make pretty good sandwiches. The one nearest my house appears to be some sort of training site and they do a good job.

Quiznos hasn't impressed me, they seem to mainly be a gimmick around their toaster oven.

Firehouse number 1 by far!! Jimmy John's isn't too shabby either.

When you go to Firehouse, order an Engine Company sub. It isn't on the menu but I think it is their best sub!

I don't do a whole bunch of chain sub places. But, when I do it's usually JJ's or JM's.

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't try Penn Station while I was in Ohio.

Jimmy Johns gets the slight nod over Firehouse for me. The JJ Beach Club is still my favorite but isn't quite as good now that they don't serve sprouts on it anymore. A Firehouse NY Steamer is just heaven on a loaf of bread.

For me it is PotBelly.

The only one's we have in the SeaTac area are Subway and Quiznos. Of the two, I favor Subway. Footlong Buffalo Chicken is my favorite.

Firehouse by far.

One thing I am jealous of big cities up north is their huge number of mom & pop sandwich shops. In Boston, every corner you turn has another sandwich shop.

I would take Jimmy John's out of the group, I can eat 12 of the 16 or so sandwiches no problem.

Slightly OT, but when we lost Schnucks up here, we called Publix to see if they would venture into this market. Publix rocks and Kroger sucks!

JM

When you guys still had Schnucks down there, did they have a premade deli sandwich called the "King of the Hill"? It would have been wrapped in white butcher paper.

We only have Subway over here so id have to go with them. Meatball or chicken fillet are my fav's.

I don't care for Subway much, but really enjoy Blimpee when I can get it. Finally have a Publix opening in the next month or so, looking forward to trying those. Firehouse is ok, but the meat quality in the BBQ Brisket varies too widely for my likes. We have a real nice hometown place that at least uses Boars Head meats.

I give the nod to Jimmy Johns over Subway. I used to like Quizno's, but many of them in my area closed.

I don't care for Subway much, but really enjoy Blimpee when I can get it. Finally have a Publix opening in the next month or so, looking forward to trying those. Firehouse is ok, but the meat quality in the BBQ Brisket varies too widely for my likes. We have a real nice hometown place that at least uses Boars Head meats.
Publix subs will make you happy. They are over stuffed fresh subs. Second you live in a BBQ state, I'm not sure why you thought the brisket at firehouse was going to be up to par. It's firehouse subs, they do well. Not firehouse smokehouse, home of good brisket. Just saying, Cap.

Quiznos then Subway, like Fire House too. Not big on Blimpies, kinda plain the couple of times I've eaten there. Charley's is really good too, extremely common on military bases in the food court, but not sure how popular it is outside of that.

Back