Jumbo Max Grips Review Thread

Driver
So far in the testing my driver has been very inconsistent. Of the 30 shots that I've hit with it in testing so far, three have been what I would consider outstanding (for me). The majority have continued to have a strong tendency towards the fade, and have been coming up severely short of where I would like. In fact, both my 3W and 3H used for comparison were consistently longer and straighter than my driver during these two sessions. There's still some work to do here.

Driver saw some signs of life, but was inconsistent as always. The misses were different than I'm used to seeing. I popped several up which was more than usual. There were fewer slices, and even a couple hooks (!). Distance was horrid even on the 10 or so that I did hit well. Good thing I was ignoring distance, huh? All in all, I was all over the place. I missed left, right, and up but I'm not ready to blame it on the grip just yet (although it might be nice to have another excuse in my back pocket :alien2:)

I borrowed a friend's driver (with oversized grip installed) and saw the same distance issue. I thought it must have been the driver (12° vs my 9.5°) but after these posts, I am not sure. I'll be watching to see what you all have to say about this and the driver as you move forward in testing. Thanks for the first impressions.

42 wraps???? holy cow man that is a lot! I actually think that 42 wraps plus a standard grip would be heavier than a midsize/oversize grip plus 1 wrap

Don't think you could get a grip over 42 wraps,for me it is 4 1/2 wraps sometimes 5 depending on the standard size grip used. The weight added to the but end with the wraps and standard size grip is a little less than the weight of a mid size grip plus some wraps.

I won't speak to the science of swing weights, but after installing these last night I picked up the AW with the JumboMax grip and my PW with the stock SpeedBlade grip to see if I could tell which is heavier. I held one in each hand, then alternated. Stupid test? Maybe, but I'll say the club with the JumboMax grip felt heavier to me although not glaringly. I'll be swinging them tonight, and have them in play tomorrow, so I'll try to pay close attention to what affects the heavier weight may have.

Hope it works for you. The club with the jumbo max should feel heavier and in fact is heavier because of the presence of the heavy grip. Conversely ones ability to feel the club head during the swing may be lessened when using these

All I can say is don't knock it till you've tried it. I haven't received mine yet, but I know that some of the testers are seeing very different results than what they anticipated based on the size of these. If you get a chance, take some swings with a stick that has one of these on it before you dismiss it.

I am not inclined to experiment with something this drastic when at least for me the negatives are just to much to ignore. I have hit clubs with over size grips and don't like the feel transmitted to me during the process of my swing, it is not a welcome change for me to not be able to correctly feel the weight of the head end of the club during a swing because of all that extra weight in the grip. Besides all that I am 68, my effective golf years are a little limited, why try to make drastic changes to the feel of my swing now.
On a positive note THE GRIPS LOOK GREAT, I love a tour wrap type grip, I would like the way the surface of the grip feels and like I said if these grips really benefit any fellow THP ER'S game that is a good thing.

I borrowed a friend's driver (with oversized grip installed) and saw the same distance issue. I thought it must have been the driver (12° vs my 9.5°) but after these posts, I am not sure. I'll be watching to see what you all have to say about this and the driver as you move forward in testing. Thanks for the first impressions.

The distance problems with my driver are not new to this testing. My loss is primarily due to the sharp right turn. The few that I did hit well were on the long side for me, but I couldn't reproduce those shots consistently enough to call them anything but outliers at this point.

Wow, choice review Shark. Interesting to hear how everyone seems to be having the experience of great inconsistency. I'm sure once people get these dialed in a little bit we'll be able to see whether these really hold any lasting benefits.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Got the JumboMax grips in today, and after some thinking, decided which clubs that I was going to put these on.

The clubs I regripped are;

• Amp Cell Driver

• Cleveland 588 TT 7iron

• Cleveland 588 RTX 50* Wedge

My thoughts process was this;
  • The Driver is my current gamer, and one that I am quite confident in. It is predictable for me, and I know exactly what it is going to do when I swing it. My results with the Amp Cell are solid, and I will be able to get a good read on how these grips perform compared to the NDMC grip that was on there previously.
  • 588 TT 7i is an iron that, again, I know and trust. It was my gamer for most of this year, and is an iron that I could always rely on to go straight with solid distance. Same as with the driver, it will give me a good read on how the grip affects my game.
  • 50* Wedge; This was the one I was curious about. I am a big fan of full swings with wedges, so throwing it on the 50* was something I was unsure about. But after holding the grip, I felt that it would make my wedge a bit "beefier" and might be quite beneficial for a full swing shot.

First Impressions;
When I grabbed these out of the box, I was blown away at the size. Much larger than I was expecting. I quickly double checked the size, and sure enough, it had the "MD" stamp on the bottom of the grip for Medium. Almost intrigued to see a larger size just to see how enormous they might be. Other than the size of the grips, I noticed that they were not "spongy" but a bit firm, and even though they looked like a wrap grip, they had a good bit of tack that was not slick. Feel good in hand, and should perform well for me in terms of holding on to the grip.

Re-gripping the clubs was easier than I expected, I just used extra solvent and slid them right on. I gripped the 7i first, and after I got the grip on the way I wanted it, I held it down to look at it at address. Holding this grip in hand with my 7i, made me feel like I was holding a hybrid or something. Just feels stout in hand, and makes me want to swing hard. I found the same with the 50* and then the Driver. Other than looking a bit odd to my eye when I took my grip, they look good, and just give you a feeling that the club will be more powerful with these grips in hand. I was not expecting that at all, to be honest.

This will be an interesting testing for me, as I have never gone with a larger grip on anything other than my putter. I am playing tomorrow morning with a range session before hand, and will be sure to get my thoughts, as well as some thoughts from the THPers I will be spending the round with.

Here we go....

My test grips arrived today, complete with a cordial welcome to the THP / Jumbo Max Test program and a request of which clubs to use. Within those parameters I installed the grips on my Ping Rapture V2 Driver (10.5°); my Ping Rapture 7 iron, and my Ping 52° Gap Wedge.

Installation
While the accompanying letter suggested the inflexibility (stretchable) of the grip material might make the installation a bit difficult, I experienced no problem whatsoever and used little solvent. After removing the old grips, I took the opportunity to cut the shafts down to the same lengths as my original fitted Pings; cleaned the shafts, spray with solvent and slipped the end of the grip in place; a shot of compressed air and a push... and walla, installed. Wiped them down and air-dried them. Done.

Photo 1#: Installed grips next to those removed

1377134_10151775215748401_721148793_n.jpg

Photo #2: The clubs

1383049_10151775216448401_165666843_n.jpg

Photo #3: Hands on the Driver

1379843_10151775217818401_1351064437_n.jpg

As I took the driver into my hands, the first word that came to mind was "Puppy dog". The grip just sort of fell right into place, like gently caressing a puppy dog. There was no "squeeze". It was the same sensation I get when handling my SuperStroke Fatso. "Quiet hands"... they call it. While I have more than medium sized hands, my fingers are stout. Not having to fuss with adjusting them to get a comfortable grip was a real plus.

Photo #4: The irons

1385319_10151775218143401_1212076627_n.jpg

During installation, what I noticed most was how the grips swallowed up these two clubs; especially the 52 wedge. I had to remove the upper shaft bands, as the grips overlapped them. Didn't appear to be a problem, I just found it remarkable.

First test

The first test was verifying the installation. The nice thing about compressed air grip installation is there is no 4 hour, or 8 hour, or 24 hour wait for solvent and tape to dry. I have a fairly large driving net and practice area along the side of my work shed. So, shortly after installation, I hit a dozen balls with each club. The grips proved to be snug and well fitted.

Second test

1380448_10151775244603401_1844559969_n.jpg

Starting with the wedge, I hit 30 more balls. As some of you may know.... I had the ugliest "swing from hell" and have recently latched on to a swing coach at my home course, which has drastically changed my approach to hitting a golf ball. And.... as we all know, there are myriad things to think about, from the grip to the shoulder turn/ hip turn, wrist hinge, weight shift, and so on and so on..... What quickly became apparent, with the JumboMax grip, is there was one LESS thing to worry about. If I didn't know better, I would wonder if the club was in my hands at all. The point being... grip problem (if there was one) solved. Move on to those other myriad worries.

This feeling held true for all three clubs. My immediate thought, after addressing the ball and going into my back swing was, is my left arm straight and parallel to the ground, where is the shaft; is my back to the target, where is my weight.... yada, yada, yada. These days (in practice) I go through this routine 5 times before every ball strike. The grip question used to be first. That question is no longer part of the equation.... with the JumboMax.

My concern is the other 10 clubs without the JumboMax grip. How will my thought process and swing change from the JumboMax back to the Lampkin? That question has yet to be answered. But it will come into play as I take to the golf course in the morning. As will the other question nagging at me this evening.... How will this comfort zone I've found with the JumboMax play out on the course and/or range. Hitting balls into a backyard net is one thing. You can get a feel for your swing and ball contact, but you can't see where the ball would really go... hook? slice? We shall she what we shall see and get back to you.

I was fit for my current grip size but I still want to try one of these just to see. I am assuming all the conventional wisdom on grip fitting doesn't really apply here.

Awesome start malemotives!! Glad to see you were able to pop them on with air without issue. I started to last night but realized I was missing a tool so to the store this morning I shall go.

Really looking forward to hearing how they perform on the course for you.

keep up the good work malemotives, very nice write up to kick it off.

I ran to the store and grabbed an air tool early this morning.

I was able to get the grip installed via air on the 54* wedge but it was a little battle. I am used to being able to use my pure air gun but had to use the air nozzle instead due to butt diameter of grip.

I tried the air with the driver but got nowhere fast so pulled out the WD-40 and zipped it on no problem!

Third grip will go onto the SpeedBlade 7i early next week. First range session with the driver & wedge will be tomorrow morning, looking forward to it.

Good reviews thus far.. has me contemplating trying these on some of my "extra" clubs

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Keep up the great reviews guys. I'm very curious about this grip and what you end up seeing on your drivers. I've got a bad case of the rights with my driver, and early in this thread I was thinking a larger grip might be an option, but seeing the actual testing, it sounds like it hasn't been the case, at least initially. I've never paid much attention to grips, and have larger hands, so maybe I do need to start thinking about grip size for my gamers. You keep posting, and I'll keep reading!

I might have given too harsh of criticism in my initial write-up. Please keep in mind that they were just my first impressions. Lots more testing to go, and I saw lots of good things to keep me interested.

I might have given too harsh of criticism in my initial write-up. Please keep in mind that they were just my first impressions. Lots more testing to go, and I saw lots of good things to keep me interested.

No way man. Just be honest about how you feel and what you see after each session. No right or wrong in how you feel, honest feedback is all we want!

Installed the grips last night. They were a little tough to push on but was pretty straight forward and easy. Put them on my White Tie driver shaft, 6 iron and PW. Will have a writeup tomorrow after my early morning round. I will say that these look even bigger once put on the clubs. I am extremely interested to see how this goes tomorrow

No way man. Just be honest about how you feel and what you see after each session. No right or wrong in how you feel, honest feedback is all we want!

Most definitely. I just am trying to be careful not to draw any firm conclusions this early on, and hope the readers do the same.

great start fellas, keep it up.

I am looking forward to seeing how these effect your ball flight(let-right, right-left) over the long run as you adjust to them.

I noticed a few of you saying you were loosing a yardage yet staying online especially with the wedges. Do you think this is cause your leaving the face open and the back spin is keeping it from leaking right?

A lot of thoughts going through my head about these from my range session and round today. I need to process it a bit, but I struggled a great deal with these, specifically with my driver. Lost the ball with a huge slice, and just could not find a square club face to save my life.

Will think more about my round and my struggles with these, and get a full writeup done soon

great start fellas, keep it up.

I am looking forward to seeing how these effect your ball flight(let-right, right-left) over the long run as you adjust to them.

I noticed a few of you saying you were loosing a yardage yet staying online especially with the wedges. Do you think this is cause your leaving the face open and the back spin is keeping it from leaking right?

I think if I were leaving the face open it would be more pronounced on the longer clubs, and that doesn't seem to be the case. You could be right on about the increased backspin, though.

I took some swings on the range with Pete's 7 iron this morning. He has the small grip it on and its the largest golf grip I have ever tried. I think they feel alright and it wasn't overly uncomfortable in my hand. It took me some swings to get used to it. Jumping back and forth between it and my 7 iron I could see testers having an issue with only 3 of these during a round.

I would be curious about these on wedges on touch shots. Might have to stumble on one of these to try that out

I would be curious about these on wedges on touch shots. Might have to stumble on one of these to try that out
Could have tried it out today.

Back