Who thinks they're guilty of

Yes I am. It regularly ruins rounds for me. What's entirely stupid is that I can stand off to the side, do a hanful of the basic drills I learned at my very first lesson, and turn into a completely different golfer.

Usually when I begin to slice the ball, I begin to over analyze. I really try to keep my head clear when I swing so I don't think about anything. Same with baseball, if you are thinking about your swing while you are batting, you're gonna have a bad time. As for a full hole or round, I try to analyze where it went wrong. What could I have done to take a stroke off or how could I approach the shot differently, where was my weakness that I could work on or is it a fluke that happened because or certain uncontrollable variables.

Spent most of this summer really over-analysing and making my swing way too mechanical. Hit this point. Hit that point...Bend at this angle....top the ball. My swing lost all flow, which not only made it no fun, but I tried to analyse my lack of flow, which only made it worse!

So yes, very guilty, and guilty of analysing what made me guilty of it in the first place.

I am very guilty of that. Always looking for the magic club or swing gimmick.

One thing is to never stray far from what you are playing now, so it is easier to go back.

When playing, I never freeze over the ball and try to remember something I read.

Practice is for the range, play with what you brought to the course. Trying to change things during a round of golf, will ruin your fun and everyone around you.

Jackal

I went through that "over analyzing" my swing about 4 years ago when I had a Defibrillator implanted. It was painful, even today to hit the ball the way I should. Then last week, I took a lesson. Reanalyzed my swing, and now I hurt worse than ever.
I am now "over re-analyzing" the swing, because the heart failure is worse as is the arrhythmia.
I hate having to change what was a good thing.
But some times over analyzing is good. Give a new perspective to things. Cheers

It's so hard NOT to over analyze things in your game. Everytime I play, I tell myself not to put to much pressure on myself. LOL The only thing I try and concentrate on is making good contact. I watch tour pros that do kookie things in their swings and none of it matters until impact, so I try not to stress everything else. There is enough to think about as it is, so I try to keep things simple each time and that, in itself, is near impossible. I go through periods of the sh**ks, too. THAT is probably the time when my mind runs WILD with solutions and drills and tips and youtube vids and golf channel..... hate the damn sh**ks.

I think anyone who wants to improve is guilty of this. My instructor told me to analyze and change on the range not while playing. His words were practice on the range, golf on the course. Pretty good advice.

I'm glad so many of us are able to admit we're gulity of it, now where's that article that tells us how to bust out of the cycle? Lol.

Definitely guilty of it over here. I go through spates of gumming my brain up with too much crap. When I do, I usually go back to the basics of what my coach has taught me for the last two years and the drills that go with them. I think that picking things up here and there is ok IF you do it in moderation and dedicate the time on the range or whatever to practicing and really learning what you're doing instead of just guessing at what you think you're supposed to be doing. Everything is better with a pro, but some folks just can't afford that. With video on phones now, I've found that I can sometimes see some of the glaring mistakes I'm making, which is better than nothing. If I struggle for more than a few range sessions, I'll generally schedule a tune-up.

Trying to take tips to the course with no practice is death for me. Might as well just hitch up to the beer cart and follow it around for 18 holes...

Actually I can say that I haven't over analyzed my golf game for years. Just went out and played, put in some practice time, but never had lessons...until recently.

I feel now that I can put more time into my golf game I may end up being the over analyzer.

Not guilty really. I only seek advice from a real, alive qualified person who I trust. I've had the same PGA Professional as a teacher for at least 35 years if not more. The key is finding the right teacher and then trusting that person with your game. My swing hasn't change since I was a kid outside of a grip change a few years ago.

I gave it up when I took lessons this spring. To be truly honest I just go back to the fundamentals now, start with grip and stance, slow down my take away, turn don't slide, make sure I am holding all the hinge I built on the way back on the way down, Forget what went before this swing and put the best swing on this swing I can.

Practice on the range and fix stuff there. Never analyze what I am doing on the course until later and then its just an overall impression of how the day went and how well I putted.

If things go sideways go see my coach and get straitened back out. Never pay attention to advice from anyone but my coach.

I gave it up when I took lessons this spring. To be truly honest I just go back to the fundamentals now, start with grip and stance, slow down my take away, turn don't slide, make sure I am holding all the hinge I built on the way back on the way down, Forget what went before this swing and put the best swing on this swing I can.

Practice on the range and fix stuff there. Never analyze what I am doing on the course until later and then its just an overall impression of how the day went and how well I putted.

If things go sideways go see my coach and get straitened back out. Never pay attention to advice from anyone but my coach.

You say something really interesting, "Never pay attention to advice from anyone but my coach"
I've always been averse to advice from people other than coaches/pros and nothing annoys me more than an absolute hack trying to tell me why I overcooked a draw to a back left pin position from 200yards with a 5iron. People all too often need to worry about their own games and not others. If someone truly wants to offer advice, I feel the best way is to politely ask if you can offer some advice and go from there.

Been quilty of over analyzing my swing lately. Think it's time to just go back to "grip it and rip it!"

If you asked Tadashi whether I do or not, the answer is "absolutely" hahaha!

I'm getting better... Swing your own swing mentality and what not. Just one of those people where if there becomes a negative trend in my swing, it needs to be resolved.

This is spot on. You have so much natural talent and may over thank your way out of it. You have a swing that works so well with slight misses. I think you could take this swing to the next level if you honed that short game and putting.

I'm serious, you have so much talent and jest need to trust what you've been given. Do work son!

I definitely over analyze, oftentimes while standing over the ball at address. I've simplified things quite a bit though and am playing much better. I read that Zen Golf book and it's helped a lot. Now, I spend a lot more time looking at my target and exactly where I want to hit it. I keep staring it down even while I address the ball. Once I get the clubhead set, I immediately start my back swing; no time for swing thoughts to creep in or muscles to start tensing up. It's resulted in a much more relaxed swing and keeps all the swing thoughts at bay.

I'm glad so many of us are able to admit we're gulity of it, now where's that article that tells us how to bust out of the cycle? Lol.

In my opinion: Shawn Clement.

His focus is on gravity, momentum and not fighting your anatomy. Things that no other instructor has ever brought up to me in 30 years of lessons. Sure, he talks about things that need to happen in your golf swing or things you might want to try to correct, but he does so via feelings and metaphors, not positional thinking.

That's not to say you shouldn't go to your local pro. But if they're of the positional mindset, be sure to translate what they want to do into something you can achieve without thinking of positions in your swing.

I'm guilty if this, although Ive gotten better about it in the past year or so.
I think in some ways it's not a bad thing because you can't hope to improve if you don't know what you are doing wrong but you certainly have to leave your swing thought on the parking lot and just swing whatever swing you have that day. Swing thought on the range are fine but on the course you need to focus only on your target and your desired ball flight.
Easier said than done though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Im definitley guilty of that. Got me pretty messed up a few years back. Still trying to recover in
certain aspects. Gotta be careful. Professional teachers are certainly under utilized since they
cost money and people try to cut corners with articles. But articles can really help at times as
well. A good mix of both is key I suppose.

I'm raising my hand to the question in the opening post.

Seems that when I am at ease I'm not thinking about the swing as much and play great golf..

count me in. Although I have picked up good tips on the internet, I find myself trying to correct my swing during play and this does nothing but hurt me. I played yesterday and did well, but I went out and just played naturally and I was hitting the ball much better.

Every time I try to make my swing look "normal" it just throws me for a loop for a few weeks. I know that with a year of dedicated practice I could do it but it's hard to throw a year away like that. I guess this isn't really over-analyzing but it burns in the back of my mind that my swing is completely "wrong" and it shouldn't work.
I tend to focus a little too much on the numbers I suppose. There are certain percentages that I want to hit and I think that kind of thinking can actually pull me down during a round.

Back