Bunker Preference

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let us assume for a second that you were able to decide what bunkers would be at your home course based on your personal preference. This is pertaining to green side bunkers only.

Do you prefer soft and fluffy or damp and hard?

Soft and fluffy for sure!

give me a top layer or semi-wet sand with some softer stuff underneath.

Heavy and damp please.

Soft and fluffy is the best for me. Not a fan of the hard, wet like sand.

Great question!! Not to pat myself on the back, but I do pretty well out of both.

The damp and hard will definitely allow for more action/spin on the ball. But I seem to be more consistent distance wise with the soft and fluffy.

So I'll say soft and fluffy.

Let us assume for a second that you were able to decide what bunkers would be at your home course based on your personal preference. This is pertaining to green side bunkers only.

Do you prefer soft and fluffy or damp and hard?

That's a really, really tough call for me. I think if I were to go towards the damp side of things, I'd rather use 'heavy' instead of 'hard' to describe my preference. When I think of hard, I think of a few inches of heavy sand followed by a bottomed out club and some clay..

If you're talking some good depth of heavy sand, I don't think it gets much better than that. Balls are very receptive out of that stuff, and do a nice job of grabbing the green upon landing.

Firm, but not hard. I want it to feel like I'm hitting a golf shot, not building sand castles. Dry, but not baked - i.e. they should drain well.

Soft and fluffy, all day, let me splash it out.

However, I would just love consistency. The courses I play the sand varies from course to course so much that it takes a bit to adjust.

However, I would just love consistency. The courses I play the sand varies from course to course so much that it takes a bit to adjust.
Agree with you 100% on the consistency, one of my local courses has a hard time maintaining consistency, and it can be very frustrating.

Give me any sand, over heavy long grass any time.

SO much yes to this. Consistency, regardless of sand type, assuming there's good depth to it, would outweigh any type of preference.

I've always preferred heavy and damp between the two but my real favorite is a 2-3 inch fluffy stuff on top of a solid base layer. That kind of sand seems to play itself

Definitely prefer soft and fluffy, but around here it varies between wet and heavy or hard. If I have to choose between those two, I am going with wet and heavy.

I prefer soft and fluffy. But if it gets baked hard, I can get out easier! Usually. You can also putt out of the harder sand if there is little to no lip to deal with.

I prefer soft and fluffy. But if it gets baked hard, I can get out easier! Usually. You can also putt out of the harder sand if there is little to no lip to deal with.
You putt out of bunkers?

That takes chutting to an entirely new level.

Hahaha. The old Smalls Butter shot.

I like it somewhere in the middle. Not super soft, but definitely not hard.

My home course typically has a very thin base of hard, wet sand. I hate it. Give me the soft fluffy stuff.

Hard and damp please

My preference would be soft and fluffy although it's rare that I find soft and fluffy sand anywhere in Kentucky. I feel lucky when I'm in a bunker that actually has more than an inch of sand in it.

Soft,shallow and small but thats just me haha

Back