Callaway Apex Irons Preview

Probably because Callaway thinks that a version with a smaller profile will appeal to some people out there, including their Tour staff.

You could also ask the same question of multiple other companies that have multiple forgings in their lineup, I guess.
I've not seen two version? I was under the impression that there was a single Apex iron? Of course that could change

I've not seen two version? I was under the impression that there was a single Apex iron? Of course that could change

There is a "Pro" version that will also be in stores in 2014.

That's kind of what I was thinking, actually, but the'yre much more forgiving than a player's iron like the X-forged, right? I was actually using GI as a highly complimentary term in this case - if a club can look like that but have GI level forgiveness behind those looks, I am sold.

That being said, I haven't hit them personally, so please feel free to correct whatever misconceptions I may have about what these clubs actually are!

...speaking of which, I REALLY want to hit these...
the xforged are extremely forgiving to me, for the type of iron it is. The Apex are on another level and the Ap.......to be continued. I think if people are in the market and want a long, good looking, forgiving iron with make the boys ooh and aah will game the Apex and do very well. I know the iron market is vast but I see these being gamed by a great many in the year.

Can someone please elaborate on why there will be 2 Apex versions. Normal & Tour.
I don't get why they would release forged irons with a total package and then make a tour/pro version.
one to show you can a forged iron with all the qualities of a GI but look like a players. And two because they know golf is an ego driven buyers market. Guys will buy on their perceived needs and level of play.

Probably because Callaway thinks that a version with a smaller profile will appeal to some people out there, including their Tour staff.

You could also ask the same question of multiple other companies that have multiple forgings in their lineup, I guess.
Bingo, because the market will bare it

We are respecting the embargo date before we start to unload the data trapped under lock and key....soon

Has anyone seen reliable photos or actual data that supports this?

Yes, I've seen both. Plus, KBS has already confirmed their existence by announcing that their new Tour V shaft will be the stock shaft on those irons.

Thanks fellas!

That's kind of what I was thinking, actually, but the'yre much more forgiving than a player's iron like the X-forged, right? I was actually using GI as a highly complimentary term in this case - if a club can look like that but have GI level forgiveness behind those looks, I am sold.

That being said, I haven't hit them personally, so please feel free to correct whatever misconceptions I may have about what these clubs actually are!

...speaking of which, I REALLY want to hit these...

I would say you're getting the performance of the X Hot Pro, but the looks of an X Forged that's maybe a touch bigger than the prior year?

The more I read about these things the more I'm interested, you guys are making them sound like the holy grail of the golfing world so naturally I must have them. I need to hit these.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Apex irons will raise the bar. A forged, forgiving player's improvement iron.

the xforged are extremely forgiving to me, for the type of iron it is. The Apex are on another level and the Ap.......to be continued. I think if people are in the market and want a long, good looking, forgiving iron with make the boys ooh and aah will game the Apex and do very well. I know the iron market is vast but I see these being gamed by a great many in the year.

I would say you're getting the performance of the X Hot Pro, but the looks of an X Forged that's maybe a touch bigger than the prior year?

If these two things are true, then this iron is going to fit like a glove for me. I LOVED the X Forged, and Freddie I actually thought it was quite forgiving as well considering it's head size/shape (I'm guessing that has something to do with the excellent PXi shaft as well). But X Hot Pro level forgiveness with X Forged good looks, plus the benefits of forged irons for us tinkerers (i.e. easy to bend)? WOW...

#gamechanger

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Apex irons will raise the bar. A forged, forgiving player's improvement iron.

Not to say these won't raise the bar, but haven't these types of irons already been out with Adams and Mizuno with their CB3 and JPX-825 pros?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not to say these won't raise the bar, but haven't these types of irons already been out with Adams and Mizuno with their CB3 and JPX-825 pros?

The jpx don't come close to these IMO and I was seriously considering the pros before I got the rocket blades tours I'm currently gaming.

#ImWithChad

Have you seen the new Apex irons! Not even close to any I the clubs you named. This thread is filled with so much info that separates the Apex from all those clubs you mentioned.

Have you seen the new Apex irons! Not even close to any I the clubs you named. This thread is filled with so much info that separates the Apex from all those clubs you mentioned.

Agreed not even a close resemblance ti any of those whatsoever

I've had the chance to hit these twice pretty extensively - once when our shop's rep came through and once when our assistant pro (who has a Callaway deal) had a few in hand to consider switching from his X-Hot Pros. They do set up nicely (slightly chunky but clean lines) and I did see a few MPH increase in ballspeed so maybe 2 or 3 yards more max carry in the 7 iron for me. I found them to be less forgiving than my G25s but that probably should be expected given the smaller size - probably not the same target audience anyway. Our assistant pro stayed with his Pros as he liked the look and feel better. From a fitting perspective it will be interesting to see which players these appeal to.

Reading through this thread I do see the advances in the Apex irons. I was just stating that these are not the first attempt by a company to make a forged game improvement iron

Reading through this thread I do see the advances in the Apex irons. I was just stating that these are not the first attempt by a company to make a forged game improvement iron

That is true it is not the first attempt but it might be the first successful attempt.

WOW...great thread...and along with the looks of the Apex irons you have me very interested!!!

I have been away for awhile due to another shoulder surgery (right rotator cuff and bicep tendon)...JB might remember me back from 2010 when I had my left shoudler done??? But I just started swinging the club again and my club guy put me into 588 CB irons (see sig) based on my past and a good deal...but I tell you I am starting to think the "Player Iron" days r over for me...not that I cannot hit the 588 CB but I have to work harder than I would like and I would love more distance but controllable distance...plus who has time to practice any more?

So based on a few responses I am not sure I understand how these are really different than the Diablo Forged which I have owned (way back) but really hated the look of them in the bag (Diablo graphics) hopefully not to offend anyone who owns them but they were very nice sticks and I see the Apex irons as being very similar...correct?

WOW...great thread...and along with the looks of the Apex irons you have me very interested!!!

I have been away for awhile due to another shoulder surgery (right rotator cuff and bicep tendon)...JB might remember me back from 2010 when I had my left shoudler done??? But I just started swinging the club again and my club guy put me into 588 CB irons (see sig) based on my past and a good deal...but I tell you I am starting to think the "Player Iron" days r over for me...not that I cannot hit the 588 CB but I have to work harder than I would like and I would love more distance but controllable distance...plus who has time to practice any more?

So based on a few responses I am not sure I understand how these are really different than the Diablo Forged which I have owned (way back) but really hated the look of them in the bag (Diablo graphics) hopefully not to offend anyone who owns them but they were very nice sticks and I see the Apex irons as being very similar...correct?

Did you see the in hand pics we posted in the beginning of the thread. These are so far away from the Diablos it isn't funny. Great spin but not over the top like the diablos. Clean look and great feel. Lots of great info on all this in the thread

Really looking forward to being able to hit these in person. If Freddy is a fan its legit.

Did you see the in hand pics we posted in the beginning of the thread. These are so far away from the Diablos it isn't funny. Great spin but not over the top like the diablos. Clean look and great feel. Lots of great info on all this in the thread

Yes I did and they do look SWEET! I also checked out the Callaway sight and believe me from a looks standpoint they are way more appealing to me than the DF...I guess all I was saying is the technology sounds somewhat familiar to the DF wth a few tweaks I guess here and there (feel, etc...) but yes they defintely look nice and I cannot wait to get my hands on one...not sure about the stock shafts though (I know that is hard to say without even swinging one) but I am 6'4 / have an upright swing / and play a high spinning fade on every shot...so much that I play the Duo ball and I can back it up with a 6 iron approach...so I am concerned that the stock shafts may cause me to hit it too high or spin too much...but we will have to see...I would love to put a set of KBS Tour C-Taper lights into a set of these as with the silver shaft and these heads...man that would really look good...also I read or heard somewhere that Callaway is offering these with no UC for any shaft they offer across their line??? Anyone else heard that?

Yes, I've seen both. Plus, KBS has already confirmed their existence by announcing that their new Tour V shaft will be the stock shaft on those irons.

Got the chance to it "these" yesterday. OMG in my best teenage girl voice wouldn't do my reaction justice. The head and shaft combo has me mesmerized. I don't want to go too far yet so I'll leave it at that.

Callaway has some awesome things coming in the next few months. The Apex lines are both going to impress and as long as they didn't price themselves out, these are going to improve A LOT of handicaps while providing great feel and looks. I'm already thinking a mixed set is needed next season.

Keep thinking back about these irons and the feel they had. Cant wait to get some more swings on these irons.

Keep thinking back about these irons and the feel they had. Cant wait to get some more swings on these irons.

Gonna be a huge hit for people. I know they've gotta be shipping for folks any week now

Same with me. I was hitting the DPCs off a really crappy mat today and even flushed shots felt like junk once I got through the ball to the mat and bounced off. My elbow is paying for it right now. Made me want Apex goodness even more.

Back