Best Way To Prevent Cheating

Kitty cat & Calli homers.. what'd we going to do with you two. :D

tappin from my big as note2

Guys I need your help. After playing in my club tournament yesterday, I had a hard time beliving what score I was being told to write down for my opponent. Like one hole he said to give him a bogey, and I'm pretty sure he got a double. So what's the best professional way, to stop people from doing this. Because I got another tourney coming up on sunday, and I need to prevent this from happening. Without starting a fight.

Thanks.

James.

Your opponent is responsible for his score on the score card. If he signs the card after the round, then make your formal complaint to the Head Pro or the tournament committee, after the end of the round
See USGA rules 6-6b sub d.
To maintain, peace, have them fill out their own score. Just hand them the card, and have them write in their own.

I really like this method. removes any sort of frustration during the round, and you can't be held accountable by not signing a card that has the wrong numbers down.

I had this happen when I took my PAT. I wrote down my playing partners scores, he pencil whipped it to the tune of 18 3s on on his card. They questioned me I showed them my score card that I has kept and they DQ'd him. He also lost his job at a private club in west palm and was banned for at least 5 years. He blamed me for writing down the wrong scores and had his cart mate lie for him as well.

I had this happen when I took my PAT. I wrote down my playing partners scores, he pencil whipped it to the tune of 18 3s on on his card. They questioned me I showed them my score card that I has kept and they DQ'd him. He also lost his job at a private club in west palm and was banned for at least 5 years. He blamed me for writing down the wrong scores and had his cart mate lie for him as well.

Man that sound rough dude, i just don't get the need to cheat.

Do what Smalls said, that will work.

If you dont want to deal with the confrontation. Have an official walk with you guys.
The officials or marshals are there to help, sometimes it's just the pros at the course, but they are there to help, all you have to do is ask.

LOL@ 18 3s. At least make it somewhat believable haha.

That's crazy. All the guys I played with when I took the PAT were stand up guys. I guess there is always those guys around, but still it's the PAT! You're playing against the course, not really for medalist honors. It's not like you're getting a big check at the end of the round if you're low man. SMH If anything it's the other way around, now you get to SPEND money for classes! That's nuts Freddie!

As said repeatedly, count it out for them. I've been in a similar situation before and if you do it once or twice to show you're paying attention I've found they'll start being more honest. Or warn the people in charge before you start that you're worried it's an issue, and put down what he says and what you think he got any time it's different.

Count them out to him. One off the tee, you chunked your second shot, third went just off the green, you chipped on and two putted for a 6. Do it every hole. There is a reason they have the opponent write the score down, and it's not just to write down whatever they say.

If it's a competition, you owe it to everyone in the field to make sure no one cheats.

I agree on counting the strokes back to the person.

Count his strokes. You're going to have to be a little assertive if it's an issue. Be aware and don't be scared to speak up.

I have done this. It can be done tactfully.

It is your responsibility to the rest of the field to either stop it or report it. I would just be tactful and say something to the effect you would hate to see him DQ'ed for a score lower than he actually took before you count strokes with him. Doing that gives him little room to do anything but the right thing. If he insists its right or continues it is up to you to report it.

If it comes to it one of the tournament officials will do the right thing when you tell them what is going on.

Last edited:
What previous posters have said - if in doubt give him/her the old "are you sure?" and then count the strokes with him. An honest mistake often occurs (we've all probably done that), but if it continues just keep questioning the person. I'm sure I've played with the guy you're talking about. LOL

Love the responses here...
Outside of a tournament I care less if someone is cheating, only hurting themselves.
Tournament wise I am going to have them point out their strokes.

You could try a preemptive strike. When walking off the green or putting down the score, you could say, "John, I had you for a 6. Did I get that right?" That might stop it if he's just being careless, or cause him to recount his strokes. If he's deliberately cheating, and he says he had a 5, then you could say, "Okay, maybe I messed up. Let's go back shot by shot to make sure we've got it right. Let's see, your drive was one . . . ."

I agree that it is sometimes difficult to directly confront someone is cheating, especially because sometimes people are just careless or forgetful, and no one wants to accuse someone of cheating when they are just careless. But if someone is really cheating, I think one or two recounts would put an end to it.

There is some really good advice here but I guess I take the less diplomatic approach. Wait until the end and don't sign the card if it's wrong.

I've witnessed cheating before but never in the form of outright lying like that. Usually the guy will jog ahead into the trees where his tee-shot went and then miraculously find it with a clean lie and a line to get out. Meanwhile the actual ball flew the fence and there was no way he'd find it.

"Wow, I must have got a great bounce!"

I know I'm in the minority here but I generally don't count my opponents strokes and I'm not saying that anything is wrong with it either, I just prefer to focus on my own game and I trust that most will be as honest as I am. Now if you hit two in the water one in the woods and three putt and say you got a par, I may call BS on you lol.

Usually the guy will jog ahead into the trees where his tee-shot went and then miraculously find it with a clean lie and a line to get out. Meanwhile the actual ball flew the fence and there was no way he'd find it.

That reminds me of the old joke where a guy hits a shot into the woods, and then claims he found his ball with a clean lie and a line to get out of the trees, and the other guys mumbles under his breath, "That lying SOB, I've got his ball in my pocket."

I know I'm in the minority here but I generally don't count my opponents strokes and I'm not saying that anything is wrong with it either, I just prefer to focus on my own game and I trust that most will be as honest as I am. Now if you hit two in the water one in the woods and three putt and say you got a par, I may call BS on you lol.

I'm just going to be like this, because it's just not worth it. I was talking with my family, and they said just focus on your own game. I had alot of times where I could have cheated, (Don't we all XD) but like most I didn't take the oppertunity, because I know that it's going to bite me in the arse.

I'm just going to be like this, because it's just not worth it. I was talking with my family, and they said just focus on your own game. I had alot of times where I could have cheated, (Don't we all XD) but like most I didn't take the oppertunity, because I know that it's going to bite me in the arse.
It sounds like you really don't want to confront anyone, and that's perfectly ok. But you do owe it to the rest of the field to not sign his card at the end IMO.

It sounds like you really don't want to confront anyone, and that's perfectly ok. But you do owe it to the rest of the field to not sign his card at the end IMO.

Well I just don't want to make enemies, and make myself upset. When it's his time to go on tour, he'll realise that he can't cheat. So preventing it now is not going to do anything

Well I just don't want to make enemies, and make myself upset. When it's his time to go on tour, he'll realise that he can't cheat. So preventing it now is not going to do anything

Doing the right thing sometimes makes enemies. Actually, this happens quite often in our world today.

In any event, as someone else pointed out, as a competitor you are obligated to protect the field -- at least by not signing his card. I think you can address the issue during the round in a tactful manner, and if the guy is really cheating, then I think one could argue that tournament participation and honor demands some action. Furthermore, you cannot assume that preventing it now is not going to do anything. You don't know what influence your honorable actions might have on him now or later.

Count them out to him. One off the tee, you chunked your second shot, third went just off the green, you chipped on and two putted for a 6. Do it every hole. There is a reason they have the opponent write the score down, and it's not just to write down whatever they say.

If it's a competition, you owe it to everyone in the field to make sure no one cheats.

I tried this with one of my buddies who is really bad about forgetting a stroke here and there, and he argued with me. He either has a terrible memory, where he can't remember the shots he's taken in the last 10 minutes, or he was just sticking to his guns after being caught in a lie. This only seems to happen on blow up holes, I've never known him to claim a birdie when he had a par, but if it's looking like a triple bogey +, watch out. Now, if he's having a bad hole, I announce his score as the hole is being played to keep him honest. For example on a par 5 "you're only laying 4, chip this in for a par!" That way when he chips on and 3 putts, it's kind of hard for him to say he had a 7 when the whole group just saw him make an 8.

I tried this with one of my buddies who is really bad about forgetting a stroke here and there, and he argued with me. He either has a terrible memory, where he can't remember the shots he's taken in the last 10 minutes, or he was just sticking to his guns after being caught in a lie. This only seems to happen on blow up holes, I've never known him to claim a birdie when he had a par, but if it's looking like a triple bogey +, watch out. Now, if he's having a bad hole, I announce his score as the hole is being played to keep him honest. For example on a par 5 "you're only laying 4, chip this in for a par!" That way when he chips on and 3 putts, it's kind of hard for him to say he had a 7 when the whole group just saw him make an 8.

That's genius: make it into a good thing - "Make this for par!" And say it out loud where all can hear it. Good ideas!

worst thing is to do nothing, use smalls method. you must bring it to his attention or the officlas, if not, it will just continue

Well I just don't want to make enemies, and make myself upset. When it's his time to go on tour, he'llblems down the road realise that he can't cheat. So preventing it now is not going to do anything

You might make AN enemy, but you will likely make a LOT of friends. To avoid confrontation - ask questions. Questions are not confrontational. Your last ditch option is to refuse to mark for him. When an official does an sees him in action that will be the end of that.

Collages and schools with golf programs want those records and stuff like that will cause problems for him down the road.

There was a kid here that was scouted but a meltdown in a bunker last year along with abusing an official, club throwing, and swearing, cost him a year of competition and a big time collage opportunity.

Back