Bending lofts on wedges

Gezer

junior golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
What is too much in the way of bending a clubs loft (in degrees)
2* ?
I want to change my 58* into a 61*

You should be fine but if you're starting with a highbounce 58 you won't be able to take a divot after the bend.

3* is fine, I wouldn't go over 4*. But you are going to affect the bounce going that direction. You may not get the results you are looking for.

Similar question, how about bending an older (3 y/o) set of Mizuno's 2* stronger, is that acceptable and what would that do to the lie angle?

Anytime you bend it will effect the lie angle as well. 2* is fine Dawg, just check each club that its set the way you want it.

Thanks Freddie, I knew you would know.

going 3* up on your highest lofted wedge might now be a good idea....as Thainer and Freddie said....at that loft it's really going to effect the bounce and lie angle of the club...on a lower lofted wedge where you might not open it up and use the bounce as often I could see it working....but your highest lofted wedge is played "open" for alot of shots and the bounce is going to be severely altered after the bending.

In what direction would the bounce no. Go after the bending (it's at 8 ATM)

In what direction would the bounce no. Go after the bending (it's at 8 ATM)
The bounce should increase, by what I don't know but it will increase. Why are you wanting a 61* wedge. What shot do you think you'll get with 3* of movement that you can't get at 58*?

ATM I only use the 58* around greens (40-60 yards and in, 56 for over 60)
I can't hit a high bunker shot (I can hit a real high flop shot but I just can't get any height in the bunkers, which I need)
I regularly use the flop shot (a higher degree will decrease the chances of thinning)
I think maybe 59 or 60* will do, but unsure
I'm not getting the same amount of spin as I'm getting with the 56* which would be nice as then I could attack the flag a little more.
All these ideas suggest that I need a new club but sadly I've gone overboard with the spending already

Your bounce should increase 3°. You could just open that wedge way open to get a little more height from the bunker too.

Sadly I've tried that loads and i get a thin or similar
Really wanting the ATVs as well :(
It'd really improve my bunker game, and around the greens :(

Well, it's worth a shot. I honestly am not sure it's going to solve the problem, but you might as try.

Not sure getting a new wedge or increasing loft is going to give you want you want. It sounds more like a technique or execution issue of added loft. I mean you want your weight on you left side and an abrupt setting of the wrist. A little outside to in swing path and strike as close as possible. The speed of your swing will dictate the distance. This technique should give you added loft.

Another reason to make your wedge stronger loft is when you live in a dry place. The lies are very tight and the sand is like cement. In that case it removes some of the bounce which will help you get to the ball. But it also depends on your style of play - are you a sweeper or a digger with your wedge.
In general you would not increase the loft as this would increase the bounce by the same amount. Most wedges have enough bounce already. But every case is particular, good luck with your wedge. I hope it will work for you.

The local PGA pro who I occasionally use for lessons is bending my 52* wedge to 51* and my 56* to 57*. I pick them up on Monday. Saves me buying a 58* LW and should fit in nicely with my new TM Burner 2.0 irons where the PW is 45*.

If I bend a 52-08 Vokey to 50, what will happen with the bounce? increase or decrease?

Decrease.

I'm thinking about having my 56-14 wedge bent to 54*. If I'm understanding it correctly, it will then be 54-12, but is there anything else I should be concerned about, or know before making that decision? I've never bent clubs, or even thought of it as an option until today, so I feel a little out of my element and any help is appreciated.

I'm thinking about having my 56-14 wedge bent to 54*. If I'm understanding it correctly, it will then be 54-12, but is there anything else I should be concerned about, or know before making that decision? I've never bent clubs, or even thought of it as an option until today, so I feel a little out of my element and any help is appreciated.

Nope, that's about it.

Back