Price, Els still harping on changing Presidents cup....

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
They don't like the format because it's not good; it's because they aren't winning with it. So.... it needs to be changed so that, in Price's words, "It would reduce the Americans’ perceived advantage in depth." Imagine that.

Okay... let's dial the calendar back to June 25, 1876 and change the circumstances for the 7th Calvary's stand against Chief Sitting Bull. Heck, we could go back further and just hand over America to the Brits. The Redcoats wouldn't have retreated back across the pond and we'd no longer be celebrating the 4th of July.

So... what if the format was changed and the International team still lost? What then... concede them every other match?

Sounds like they've ruffled your feathers. It needs tweaked. Plain and simple.

I missed something. Changes format to what? And what does Sitting Bull have to do with it?

Jeez MM, did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning? :pissed-off:
I don't follow the tournament/competition as I truly don't like it. I do get where you're coming from, I think? Lol.

I believe (without reading anything yet about the gripe) is that all 12 guys have to play in the 1st 2 sessions and no one sits out. In the Ryder Cup, 2 guys are always sitting in the team format.

Ryder Cup got a lot more exciting when they evened out the field a bit and allowed continental Euros in. I'm all for it.

I think the format does need to be tweaked. I like watching the Presidents Cup but it is nowhere near the excitement level that the RC carries. Big part of that is because it's pretty much been dominated by one side. I don't mean just by total wins, but they have really not been close at all.

Ryder Cup got a lot more exciting when they evened out the field a bit and allowed continental Euros in. I'm all for it.

So what are they going to do, allow Europe into the Presidents Cup too? Isn't it already the rest of the world? Who do we allow in if not Europe, everyone else is already included.

Maybe they should make it a handicap event!

Maybe Nick Price needs to push for a Ryder Cup style event that is only for the rest of the world, and exclude Europe and the U.S.

Maybe the Presidents Cup is an event whose time has passed and just drop it from existence. It was done so that players not in Europe could compete in a Match Play Team event. If they aren't happy, why bother continuing it?

Here is the article. The main gripe seems to be eliminating matches. Having all team members participate every day and every match works for The Morgan Cup, why can't they make it work for the Presidents Cup? :eyepoke: If the competition is what is the problem, don't eliminate matches by having people sit, how about reducing the size of the teams. to say, eight players? (I am actually serious about reducing the size of the teams, eliminating matches would be TOO much like the Ryder Cup. Part of what makes the Presidents Cup it's own is that everyone plays all matches. The Rest of the World team is actually pretty competitive at the top, so why not?)

Nick Price Still Wants Changes to Presidents Cup Format

Nick Price suggested changes be made to the Presidents Cup format after he was named the International captain for the 2013 matches.

According to an article by Ryan Lavner on the Golf Channel website, when asked if he would consider accepting the position again for the 2015 Presidents Cup in South Korea, Price replied, "I'd love to be (captain again), but I don't know if I would do it under the current points format. Hopefully they will do something about it. We'll see."

The Internationals have lost eight of the ten Presidents Cups contested since 1994. Their only outright win came in 1998 at Royal Melbourne in Australia. The 2003 Presidents Cup held at Fancourt Country Club in South Africa was pronounced a tie by captains Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus.

Unlike the Ryder Cup, all twelve team members are required to play in the team matches held on Thursday and Friday in the Presidents Cup.

Price has suggested to PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem that as many as six matches be eliminated from the competition. This would allow the captains to sit out certain team members in each session and create better matchups.

The Ryder Cup is contested over just three days with two sessions on both Friday and Saturday. The PGA Tour wants to keep the Presidents Cup a four-day event. Extra television revenue can be earned from the additional day of competition. Eliminating matches on Thursday and Friday could lower the television viewership and adversely affect revenues.

Isn't it always about the money?

The problem for the International team is the overall depth of the American team. The 2013 International team was relatively strong at the top. They had five major championship winners: Ernie Els, Adam Scott, Louis Oosthuizen, Charl Schwartzel and Angel Cabrera on the team. But the International team also had seven Presidents Cup rookies on their team versus the American team, which had only one rookie, Jordan Spieth.

The average Official World Golf Ranking for the Americans was 13.5 with Bill Haas being the lowest ranked at No. 28. The average ranking for the Internationals was 34 with Angel Cabrera, Marc Leishman and Brendon DeJonge all falling outside the top 50 in the world.

Eliminating matches would help the International team pit its best eight or ten players against the U.S. in every team match. Players not performing well or nursing injuries would be allowed to rest. The Ryder Cup had to make adjustments to its format over the years. Great Britain and Ireland had to add the European continent to become a serious contender for Team USA.

The Presidents Cup is at the point where certain allowances and changes should be made to help it grow and prosper. If the International team is not competitive, the matches become irrelevant, golf fans will lose interest and television ratings will plummet anyway.

Nick Price, Greg Norman and Ernie Els have all suggested changes be made. They have some experience, and their wisdom should be heeded.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1822345-nick-price-still-wants-changes-to-presidents-cup-format

I guess I don't see a downside to tweaking it with the goal of making it more competitive. It's late season golf and a team event, which can make for good viewing.

Maybe the internationals should just be better players.

I guess I don't see a downside to tweaking it with the goal of making it more competitive. It's late season golf and a team event, which can make for good viewing.

I agree with you buddy. I see no issue with trying different things.

I see Price's argument, but with that said, if we change it to be almost just like the Ryder Cup, then why don't we just hold the Ryder Cup every year? :banghead:

I agree with you buddy. I see no issue with trying different things.
Maybe the US should just give the other guys strokes to even it out. I hate the idea of tweeking the event so make the US weaker or international stronger. The US has been getting it handed to them in the RC and it has remained the same for quite some time. Even though we lose so often there is still major interest in the event.

Would what the US has done in the President's Cup be classified as bullying? Probably need to file a complaint.

Would what the US has done in the President's Cup be classified as bullying? Probably need to file a complaint.

It probably wasn't Nick Price who complained, but Nicky's momma.

Maybe the US should just give the other guys strokes to even it out. I hate the idea of tweeking the event so make the US weaker or international stronger. The US has been getting it handed to them in the RC and it has remained the same for quite some time. Even though we lose so often there is still major interest in the event.

Outside of the 2 lopsided victories for the Euros, the Ryder Cup has been pretty competitive going back to 87. The Presidents Cup for the most part hasn't even been a competition. It's like watching the Broncos vs the Jaguars. You know the result before it even starts.

Still not convinced there's a downside. Tweaks brought the RC back to life and it's competitive.

Yeah, I'm not for change. If the PC went away, I wouldn't be sad or miss it. I'm in the minority, I know this but I can't stand changing things to level out playing field. Just get better and play better

People here are saying to tweak it. Tadashi and I have thrown out ideas. What do you all who think it needs to be tweaked think needs to be done?

For the record, my serious suggestion is to reduce the number on each team. The Internationals are more competitive at the top, so instead of eliminating matches, still have them all play every match, but get rid of the dead weight on the International team. Eight players per team should work. Keep playing every match, don't sit anyone. Sitting people is for the Ryder Cup.

That's not a bad idea at all. Maybe allow two more captains picks to grab people that are hot.

Why does euros team not have players like Poulter, McDowell, McRoy? Are they not interested, surely they would qualify

tappin from my big as note2

Ok, I'm for additional caps picks but the playing format should remain the same. Maybe it's time to combine the two events and run with US/Americas vs GBI/Panasian

we we could pull from all of north, south and Central America any euro could pull from euro, Asia and down under

Why does euros team not have players like Poulter, McDowell, McRoy? Are they not interested, surely they would qualify

tappin from my big as note2
The euros aren't part of the PC

The Int'l only lost by 3 points, its not like it was a blow out, I like Small's suggestion of reducing the players..make it top 8 with 2 Capt's picks

So it appears that what Price is admitting to is they have depth issues. I can understand the format may need to be tweaked, but suggesting less matches is pretty much admitting they don't have enough golfers to compete against the U.S.

Back