what's your average driver use per round and favorite lay-up club of choice

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know this will be very different for us all due to our different golf courses we frequent, our capable distanaces, abiliities, and how we play or manage our game. But i was curious

At my local muni's I frequent and even the ocasional round outside of those i average usually 9 or 10 driver hits plus or minus one depending on tee placement, and hole lay out. This is usually from the white (middle tee sets) playing 6400 to 6600 at my locals. And of course it is minus the usual four par3's so thats usualy 9 or 10 drives out of the 14 reamaining holes. Could possibly be little as 8 and as many as 11 due to layout and also how good or poorly I am driving at the time but rarely any less or more than that. I

just dont feel the need to use it on shorter holes and short to mid legnth dogelgs even if its working well that day. I'd rather be in "position A" on those holes. But thast just me.

My lay up tee shots clubs are almost always my 5w or my 4iron depending on my distance desired for the specfic hole. My 3w although i will use it a tad is a very rare lay-up tee shot choice because i am much better with the 5w and the distance with my 5w is usually plenty enough to what i require for the longer lay-up at my locals. The shorter lay-up for me is my 4iron and is used alot also.

I used to use it on everything that wasnt a par 3. but with recent swing issues Im hitting my 3W just as far and more accurate than the driver so Im using it a ton, pretty much every non par 3 unless theres a dog leg or something I need to hit a hybo off tee on.

I don't hit the driver so far that I will keep it in the bag for a hole. I hit driver on every par 4 and 5 on my course.

Eh. All the Par 5's and Long Par 4's. A long Par 4 for me is anything 420+. Otherwise, I'll probably hit a 3 wood.

I hit driver when I have been playing with a ball for too long and need to put it into the trees.

Driver for every hole, but I might have a hole that I use a 3 wood.

My last round I hit the driver 6 times as I recall. The round before that I hit it probably 14 times. I was dead on with the driver and was pulling it a ton because I could put it where ever I wanted, even on short par 4s. Wasn't great course management but when you're hitting it long and accurate, it was a recreational round, why not? I would say on average I'll hit it 8-10 times in most rounds any more.

On my local course I usually hit driver 9 times.

I'm not a long hitter at all, 240 to 250 is my average driver. On my home course of the 14 non-par 3's I hit driver on 11 of the holes.

Quite a bit.

Course I play most often usually can accomodate 11-13 driver shots, though has been as low as 10 at times.

Typically I'll hit hybrid. Occasionally will hit 4w.

Depends on the course I'm playing. Here in this area, I would only use it on par 5's for the most part. UNLESS I'm just not missing it at all, then it might come out of the bag for often. One longer courses, depending on the hole layout, I might use it more on par 4's. As for a layup club, I'm guessing you mean on holes where I leave the driver in the bag? If that's the case, then I'll use my 2 hybrid a lot (I can smoke that sucker) and sometimes I'll pull the 3 wood. This will usually leave me a full wedge (PW, AW, 52*, 56*...whatever) into the green.

I don't carry a driver so the easy answer for me is a big fat zero :D

If you consider my 3W as the club of choice off the tee, I will tend to hit it for any hole over 400yds unless the layout of the hole dictates otherwise, in which case it will be whatever club puts me in the best position for the second shot

As you said it all depends on the course.. but mainly par 5's. I use it kn the straighter holes put keel it in the back when facing dog legs where going to far makes a longer distance to the hole. I absolutly love my 5w off the tee when I need it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Joking aside though I love hitting my 3 wood off the tee. I get it out there about 230 which works fine for almost all the par 4's at the courses I play.

Depends on the tees that I'm playing really. I play with guys that play from the tips so it's used on most par 4 and 5's. The closer I move up the less and less it gets used.

It depends on the course but typically I will only use the driver on par 5's and my 3 or 5 wood on the par 4's depending on the distance.

Depends on the course, but if its fewer than 400 yards, I try to hit 3w or less. If it's wide open, and I feel confident I'll hit driver on everything but Par 3s.

I hit my driver very well so basically every hole I know I can hit the fairway consistantly

I typically use my driver on all holes, including long par 3s. I have often dreamed what it would be like to need to lay up with a lesser club. I hear it feels pretty good.

i would imagine those you who play the tips have more use for it and likewise if i played the tips at my locals it would get a couple more uses per round for sure but that still depends on legnth and layout. It seems quite few of you just prefer the 3w for sake of better hitting but not really looking at that as a lay-up. I thought many more of you would look to use different layup clubs just for purpose of managing a hole and waqnting to hit to certain yardages. like just wanting to place one in a good position at the turn of a leg or play the safer shot etc... like when the extra driver distance becomes less meaningful than the more secure routes perhaps at least on the shorter (relatively speaking) holes.

I use it about 13 times a round. Usually on every hole besides par 3s, but depending on how the swing is I may take a 3 wood out for position on a hole or two.

I typically use my driver on all holes, including long par 3s. I have often dreamed what it would be like to need to lay up with a lesser club. I hear it feels pretty good.
If this is who I think it is.. Yes you may use it every hole, and you forgot to say. You are in EVERY SINGLE fairway with that driver as well.

Welcome buddy...good to see you here. Dont' forget to go to the introductions thread and tell eveyone about your 98% fairways hit :)

Well it's a mix for me. Some rounds it used to be 13 or 14 times, pretty much every hole. My home course is pretty open off the tee, so not much harm in hitting it.

however, my last two rounds I used my new OptiForce (sorry for the ad) 3W on at least 6 or 7 holes off the tee, and had one of my best overall driving days in a very long time.

I hit driver on all but very few Par 4/5 holes. There are a couple of Par 4s around here that require a drive of 270+ yards to clear a creek - - maybe I'll attempt to use the driver after my Tour Academy lessons!

Back