How I Care for My Golf Equipment aka Tools

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit over the top when it comes to taking care of my golf equipment, but I like to keep things clean.

On Course
After each shot I clean the club head with a Groove Tube. The GT is a small plastic bottle that you fill with water, which has a nylon brush at the end. A small bit of water comes out of the brush end of the GT and I give the club head a quick scrub. I then dry off the club head with a golf towel.

Now that I have forged irons I'm going to try club head covers. I have a set of Club Glove iron head covers that I have used only when traveling.

Off Course
Once a month I wax the shafts with a car wax. It's amazing how much dirt a club shaft can accumulate. I will also wax the head of my driver. If for some reason there is a scratch on the head, I will use ScratchX to rub it out. I will also machine wash my Bionic golf gloves.

Once every two weeks I clean the grips.

Depending upon the golf course conditions when I get home I will wipe the iron/wedge club heads with RemOil (used to clean firearms of dirt and grime as well as provide rust protection). I then put the club head covers back on. Using the RemOil on the club heads will give the inside of the head covers its own small coating of the oil, which should help protect the clubs from rust. If playing conditions were wet I will wait until the next day to put the head covers back on. I will also empty my golf bag and allow everything to dry out if warranted.

I also wipe down the shafts with the cloth I used to RemOil the club heads.

I have a stiff nylon brush in the truck to clean my golf shoe cleats thoroughly after each round. Depending on the golf shoe I will wax them on a regular basis and use shoe trees.

Conclusion
For some this may seem over the top, but again I like to take care of my golf equipment and keep everything as pristine as possible. Some may argue that they are just tools which are hit in the dirt, etc., but even if that is the case I like to take care of my tools as well.

I am a fast player and have never been delayed by my on course club maintenance. As far as the head covers go I notice that they slip on and off very easily with my new irons, while providing a semi-snug fit. I haven't played the new irons yet, and I haven't used the head covers on the golf course either. I hope next week to get an opportunity to play some golf in Tennessee.

Speaking of clean you should see my four year old truck. :)

I clean my clubs as well after each use before I put them back in my bag :) And about once a month, I'll take them out of the bag and do a more thorough job of wiping down the grips and cleaning the grooves to make sure they look sparkling again :good:

The more you take care of your stuff, the longer they will last you :)

The Groove Tube is awesome! I have been using them for several years now. I don't understand why more club cleaning brushes don't have water in them. It makes cleaning your clubs on the course so much easier and you don't have to carry a heavy wet towel. I like them so much, I make sure I always have an extra in case I lose one or it needs replacing...

I will also machine wash my Bionic golf gloves.
How do they hold up? Do they stretch much?

For some this may seem over the top, but again I like to take care of my golf equipment and keep everything as pristine as possible. Some may argue that they are just tools which are hit in the dirt, etc., but even if that is the case I like to take care of my tools as well.

To each their own. I dont take care of my clubs at all but I can respect someone who does.

I pretty much do every thing you do, except for the waxing stuff. I found that smearing that gooey stuff on, only rip it off with a cloth to be of no benefit. :D I do clean my club heads after every shot, and this includes every shot when on the driving range, and/or short game practice areas. I believe most club face scarring happens at the driving range. A quick wipe down after each shot, and then back into the bag when playing. Having an easy rolling trolley allows me to give it a good push a head of me, and by the time I catch up with it, the club is cleaned, and ready to go back in the bag. I don't normally stand around cleaning a club, preferring to keep on the move when playing.

My ClicGear gets maintained as needed.

As for my golf shoes, (which I don't normally wear) when I do wear them, it's just a quick wipe down, and spike cleaning, during and after each round.

When not in use, my bag of clubs are kept in the house in my get away room, (den/office) along with a couple of other bags, and extra clubs. I carry two towels, which get cleaned after every outing. I clean out all the pockets in my bag once a year, rather it needs it or not. Surprises can be a good thing.

Out here moisture is not normally an issue except for few weeks of high humidity in July, and August. I usually have to travel to play in wet conditions. If I have been playing in wet conditions, I will take extra care to make sure the clubs/bag dry out properly. Of course there was that time I had a "blonde" moment, (guys have those too) and remembered my clubs were in bed of my truck after going through a car wash. :embarrassed: As I recall I played very well that day, breaking 80. :D

I carry a wet towel on the course. I just throw it in the cart basket. If it needs cleaned I wipe the clubface down with it and dry it with my bag towel.

I carry a wet towel on the course. I just throw it in the cart basket. If it needs cleaned I wipe the clubface down with it and dry it with my bag towel.

Haha, if any of you play with Smalls you're more than welcome to use his wet towel to wipe your clubs down too.:rofl:

I clean mine before they go back in the bag on the course and once a week will take them all out and use some warm water w/ Dawn and a toothbrush to scrub them up. The grips get wiped down with the same water.

But not you anymore Mo! hehe

I do everything posted above. Damp towel on the course, thorough cleaning at home (windex and soft toothbrush) after each round, grips once/month, wax shafts and wood crowns every few weeks. I also go through the golf balls and recycle them after every round.

I think most of us on this forum (or other golf forums) probably take better care of our equipment than the majority of golfers.

I knock the mud off when the extra weight starts slowing down my swing, that's about it.

I wipe my clubs down after I hit - usually with a towel, but my shirt or pants work in a pinch.

I scrub off my clubs once a week or so, clean out the grooves and wipe the grips off. I carry one towel all the time that I use to wipe off the club after a shot if necessary only, if it is wet or muddy I will carry a couple of extra towels.

I clean my clubs after every round or practice session with warm water, Dawn, soft toothbrush for the grooves and the Magic Eraser. I have never waxed the shafts but do clean the grips every time I play as well. On the course everything gets wiped down with a towel after each shot. I have a small brushes about the size of a nickel (I cant remember name) I carry in my pocket that make it easy to keep the grooves clean.

I wipe my clubs down after I hit - usually with a towel, but my shirt or pants work in a pinch.

Really? You use your shirt and pants to wipe your clubs down? That surprises me, because I wouldn't think you'd like your clothes to get dirty, especially while playing.

The Groove Tube is awesome! I have been using them for several years now. I don't understand why more club cleaning brushes don't have water in them. It makes cleaning your clubs on the course so much easier and you don't have to carry a heavy wet towel. I like them so much, I make sure I always have an extra in case I lose one or it needs replacing...
You're the first person I know of that has used one besides me. I have an extra one as well. LOL :)

My caddy wipes them down with a wet cloth after shots...I wash the grips about three times in a year then get new ones, sandpaper in between, never once thought about washing the shaft though...if I go to the range they sit dirty until the next time I go play and I usually get a scolding from my caddy for it...:shrug: I use one of those little brushes to clean out the grooves before a tough shot that requires spin or if I'm practicing spinning the ball, otherwise I don't bother...I view clubs like garden tools and while I don't abuse them, I don't worry about curb appeal and they don't get babied...

Watch a pro caddy and nine out of ten times you'll see a guy keeping one end of a towel wet and using that to clean his boss's club and then wiping it down with the dry end and placing the club in the bag.

That's all that's needed. And if that's good enough for people who play this game for a living, then it's good enough for me. When I play, I generally carry two towels. I have one attached to the clip on the bag which is for cleaning things and I usually wet it before I set out. The other is a large bath towel which I simply drape over my bag/clubs and that's for me - wiping hands, face, etc.

After a shot, I pick up my bag (I usually walk) and as I'm walking, I am wiping the clubface, cleaning grooves and then I slide the club into the bag and continue on - just as a caddy would.

I clean my grips as needed. Sometimes they get real grimy, real quick, while other times I may go for a few weeks without needing to clean them. If I'm on the course and I have a slick or otherwise dirty grip, a ball washer comes in handy as a source for soapy water and I already have the toweling to complete the job.

Other than that, I don't pay any more attention to my clubs. If a nick is really deep and it interferes with my play, I'll grind it out and add a bit of tape to the back side of the club if necessary to compensate for the weight loss. Sometimes (like once a year), I'll sand out the bottoms of my wedges to smooth any deep scratches and if I'm working on large areas of a club, I'll just spray on some clear lacquer to keep things from rusting.

Like BigV wrote, I don't abuse my clubs, but I don't treat them as precious art either. They're tools and they will get nicked up and to me that's part of the game.

-JP

A good scrubbing after every round with some water and laundry detergent with a soft brush does the trick. Towels during the round are enough with the tee to get the grooves cleared.

I noticed some of you have clean your grips... anything special you clean them with or just a dry cloth rubdown enough?

I find the things that some people do to clean their clubs amusing. Sorry but I just can't help it. I clean the heads after every shot, using a groove brush if necessary, but usually just a damp towel. That is quite all that is necessary. If I do that after every shot, then I don't need to make a special effort to clean them other times, because they are always clean. The tour wrap type grips I use stay tacky with just a rub with a damp towel too. My hands don't sweat a lot, and the dry climate here also helps.

My bag lives in the trunk of my car. They have never come to any harm by being there, not from heat or cold. I take them out only when I need the space to carry something else. I'm always ready at a moment's notice to play.

Waxing the shafts????? :laughing: Sorry Def, but that's just way over the top. If they are dirty, a damp towel works just as well there too. :confused2:

JPsuff said:
Like BigV wrote, I don't abuse my clubs, but I don't treat them as precious art either. They're tools and they will get nicked up and to me that's part of the game.

Back