Houston Golf Courses; which one would you play?

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
I will be in Houston and have time for a round. I am looking at Redstone, High Meadow or Augusta Pines. All seem to be close to the airport, which may be a must for me.

I was at Redstone for the SHO earlier this year and it looked like a cool course. It seems pretty pricey and I'm not entirely sure it stays in the conditions I saw at the SHO. I've also heard good things about Augusta Pines and High Meadow and both are much cheaper.

Can anyone let me know their thoughts on these courses, or any others in Houston near the airport you'd recommend? Is Redstone worth the higher green fees or are one of the other courses mentioned just as good at a much better value?

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

Whichever one TBT is at :)

Yeah I know there are a lot of guys in the area. This trip is too last minute and up in the air to try and meet up with anyone, but I'll be down at least one more time after this in the next month, so I'll see if I can meet up with a few of them.

High Meadow Ranch is a pretty good trek from the airport, but it is a really nice course. I've never played Redstone, but I have been at the SHO several times. It is a nice course and I imagine it would be worth the green fee. I believe they have caddies as well, so make sure you factor that in.

Augusta Pines is also pretty nice and it is about 30-45 mins from IAH. The Champions Tour used to have an event out there and it is a pretty fun layout. Island green par 5 to finish the course makes it interesting.

Not a whole lot of real nice courses near the airport (besides Redstone), so if you don't go to Redstone, I'd recommend maybe trying to get on some of the courses in Kingwood or the Woodlands. Most of the nicer ones are private, but maybe they'd work something out with you.

More nice courses within an hour of IAH: Black Horse (South Course), Memorial Park (public, very hard to get a tee time), Houston National, Tour 18 (replica holes), Cypresswood (Tradition Course)

High Meadow Ranch is a pretty good trek from the airport, but it is a really nice course. I've never played Redstone, but I have been at the SHO several times. It is a nice course and I imagine it would be worth the green fee. I believe they have caddies as well, so make sure you factor that in.

Augusta Pines is also pretty nice and it is about 30-45 mins from IAH. The Champions Tour used to have an event out there and it is a pretty fun layout. Island green par 5 to finish the course makes it interesting.

Not a whole lot of real nice courses near the airport (besides Redstone), so if you don't go to Redstone, I'd recommend maybe trying to get on some of the courses in Kingwood or the Woodlands. Most of the nicer ones are private, but maybe they'd work something out with you.

More nice courses within an hour of IAH: Black Horse (South Course), Memorial Park (public, very hard to get a tee time), Houston National, Tour 18 (replica holes), Cypresswood (Tradition Course)

Awesome. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the great response.

I would pretty much echo what Jacob said....he lives in that neck of the woods so he knows the courses up there...depending on what day and time you can get deals on golfnow for Tour 18 and a couple of others....my brother played Tour 18 about a month ago and said it was in amazing shape...its one of those courses that you gotta play at least once.

The Tour 18 down in Houston was amazing last time I played (years ago) but listen to TBT and Janks!

I will be in Houston and have time for a round. I am looking at Redstone, High Meadow or Augusta Pines. All seem to be close to the airport, which may be a must for me.

I was at Redstone for the SHO earlier this year and it looked like a cool course. It seems pretty pricey and I'm not entirely sure it stays in the conditions I saw at the SHO. I've also heard good things about Augusta Pines and High Meadow and both are much cheaper.

Can anyone let me know their thoughts on these courses, or any others in Houston near the airport you'd recommend? Is Redstone worth the higher green fees or are one of the other courses mentioned just as good at a much better value?

Thanks!

I just played in a tournament at Redstone recently and the course is not in tip top shape. fairways and greens are great and green but rest of the grass looks like it already went dormant which struck me as odd no other courses around here are like that.to answer you question no its current shape is not worth 150 or 125 twilight cost to me . We play augusta pines just about once a week and its always in good shape .. greens are quick and huge and the rough is a nasty bugger. if you gotta stay near the airport you could also look at tour 18 although I don't know the shape its in ,glennloch pines is also nice its a sister course to augusta and tour 18.

Thanks!

If you are looking to stay closer to the airport, then you can't go wrong with Tour 18 or The Tradition at Cypresswood (my choice). I've played Augusta Pines a few times and really liked the course. While Redstone is nice, it is pricey depending on your budget. I have played there several times and the best conditions are usually leading into the SHO & the few months immediately after. They keep it in decent shape year round, but to me not worth it unless they are getting it ready for the SHO in my opinion.

I like the Tradition better because of the layout. They use this course for the Monday qualifier course for the SHO & keep it in decent shape year round. Green fees are reasonable ($70 weekend) and has great value.

Tour 18 is a must if you never played there before and has replica holes from Augusta National (Amen Corner), Pinehurst, etc.....

Hope this helps

These replies are definitely helping. I think I'll pass on Redstone this time out and there seem to be some other pretty good options around. Thanks again guys and any/all additional input is great.

Augusta Pines is a great course as is Houston National. Black Horse is decent but not worth the price I think. Tour 18 is great fun playing all those holes we all see on the big stage.

Close to the airport? Hmm. It's been several years since I lived in Houston, but Tour 18 is very close to the airport and a lot of fun.

actually playing Gleanloch Pines on Friday myself

I played Tour 18 with TBT (and Jank, IIRC) a few months ago. If you're flying into Bush Airport, you can see it on your approach, there's a giant "Tour 18" sign painted alongside one of the fairways. It was in pretty good shape, and it's fun to play some of the replica holes. 5-6-7 on the course are replicas of Amen Corner at Augusta National, and 18 at that course is a replica of 18 at Doral.

If you are looking to stay closer to the airport, then you can't go wrong with Tour 18 or The Tradition at Cypresswood (my choice). I've played Augusta Pines a few times and really liked the course. While Redstone is nice, it is pricey depending on your budget. I have played there several times and the best conditions are usually leading into the SHO & the few months immediately after. They keep it in decent shape year round, but to me not worth it unless they are getting it ready for the SHO in my opinion.

I like the Tradition better because of the layout. They use this course for the Monday qualifier course for the SHO & keep it in decent shape year round. Green fees are reasonable ($70 weekend) and has great value.

Tour 18 is a must if you never played there before and has replica holes from Augusta National (Amen Corner), Pinehurst, etc.....

Hope this helps

we still need to catch a round together man... I need a golf bud that lives in Katy as well.

I ended up at Cypresswood Tradition. It was between there and tour 18, but tour didn't have a tee time that would allow me to finish the round while Cypress was wide open.

I finished the round in 2.5 hours and really like the course. Simplistic yet effective design and conditions were great.

I ended up renting clubs, which were Adams. It's always a catch 22 with rentals. I either hate them or love them and want to go buy everything from the set. I was really impressed with the clubs though.

Thanks to all of you guys for the suggestions. I'll be down here a few times the next couple months, so when I have more time I'll see if I can get anyone out for a round.

Taps away

I ended up at Cypresswood Tradition. It was between there and tour 18, but tour didn't have a tee time that would allow me to finish the round while Cypress was wide open.

I finished the round in 2.5 hours and really like the course. Simplistic yet effective design and conditions were great.

I ended up renting clubs, which were Adams. It's always a catch 22 with rentals. I either hate them or love them and want to go buy everything from the set. I was really impressed with the clubs though.

Thanks to all of you guys for the suggestions. I'll be down here a few times the next couple months, so when I have more time I'll see if I can get anyone out for a round.

Taps away

Glad you had a good time..I have only played Tradition once, but it was a nice course. Anytime you are going to be around drop me a pm, there are alot of weekdays that I can get away during the afternoon too.

Could always play Bear Creek!! LOL

we still need to catch a round together man... I need a golf bud that lives in Katy as well.

We do. Work got crazy the last few months and the kids always have something going on, but coming up I should have more free time. I'll send you message when I get out again to see if you are free

iPhone 5 Tappin

Back