I love THP, but...

I don't want it to seem like I'm knocking THP or complaining about it's structure. I'm just speaking from personal experience. I love this place. It's a place for me to come to at the end of a long day and bs with friends about the game we all love. I've shared pictures of my family on here. I've welcomed people from this site into my home. THP will always have my support

It makes perfect sense. I know exactly what you are saying. Sadly its the nature of the beast by hosting unique events. Bonds are going to be created. With the good comes the bad/different. Just like people taking the forum to text messages and chat rooms and drama being created. It is what it is. We dont partake.

All we can do is keep creating. And meeting more THPers and showing them that there is so much to enjoy.

but I will say that as a forum member with the coverage of events like the MC, it's hard not to be moved by how dynamic and powerful it is to see it happening. As Phil said there is envy, but it's a good envy because it was that amazing. For me I felt a hint of that when I was selected for the Grandaddy. When something effects a person to that extent it's real, and is a life changing moment. And people want to share in the moment. Sorry I digressed.

I don't want it to seem like I'm knocking THP or complaining about it's structure. I'm just speaking from personal experience. I love this place. It's a place for me to come to at the end of a long day and bs with friends about the game we all love. I've shared pictures of my family on here. I've welcomed people from this site into my home. THP will always have my support

Well Phil tough noogies. I thought we had something special... Haha And to answer your post, no reason for anyone to get defensive about the OP or the discussion. Debate is healthy.

Could be way off here, but I use thanks to show agreement with the post, appreciation for the point of view of the post or just that I found it useful. As for content of posts, I have done what the OP finds distasteful when I wanted to post more than just a thanks. Cliques are human nature, we are drawn to groups of like minded individuals which is why THP exists right?

I love it when I can engage in discussion and when people return the sentiment. That doesn't always happen, and I have been known to virtually shut down a thread with a simple response. I'm also 50 years old and am long past worrying about what most people think. I love this place so much and it has become an important part of my golf life, so I stay here, stay positive and try to contribute what I believe is quality content.

I see the point of the OP, but I just choose to deal with it differently I guess. Cookie has a pretty similar outlook to what I'm trying to say I guess. Give it a try, you might like more involvement and thus accept how others choose to contribute.

JM

Activity level and post count are 2 different things.

How are the 2 differentiated (just asking)? Some that do not respond along with the "me too" posts only chip in when they have something that might be of interest.

How are the 2 differentiated (just asking)? Some that do not respond along with the "me too" posts only chip in when they have something that might be of interest.

Look at forum testings and look at the people that have been selected. Check their post counts. Quantity over quality. Yes there are people with alot of posts but it doesn't mean that people who have less posts aren't just as active.

but I will say that as a forum member with the coverage of events like the MC, it's hard not to be moved by how dynamic and powerful it is to see it happening. As Phil said there is envy, but it's a good envy because it was that amazing. For me I felt a hint of that when I was selected for the Grandaddy. When something effects a person to that extent it's real, and is a life changing moment. And people want to share in the moment. Sorry I digressed.

I dont disagree, but some people are not coming to events, dont have the means to do any of that stuff. Or would like to and simply dont have the time to learn what they are, or come after selections are made. I saw it today actually as an example. It was an equipment thread. Someone came in and made a post. A relevant one and it was a good one. Completely skipped over as 3 other people bantered off topic right around it and the next thing you know, the page turned and there is no way that person did not feel left out.

That sh!t is going to stop. We are all for a good time, but when every thread turns into banter, ignoring and troll posts, its time for a change. Its not the norm obviously, but it is something that we as staff have to be cognizant of and make sure we are part of the solution and not part of the problem.

OK, so, I have a couple thoughts.... (I hear people cringing, hahaha)

First, I love that DDT can post this without being flamed beyond belief. Yes, there is some, IMO, unnecessary sarcasm in here but it has remained pretty nice and civil with the exchange of thoughts. There was a time where that wouldn't have happened, but that is another thing all-together.

Second, I respect the hell out of you for posting this. To throw up your honest thoughts knowing it may not be popular is a big leap and kudos to you for that dude. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Third, I agree with parts of it. I do think that the one word responses are old and played out as they are the perfect candidates to be replaced with our kick ass "thanks" button (which is SOOOOOOO much better than the old Rep system). I will say this though, as a reviewer who spends most of his time in equipment threads and talking about the gear and having reviews go up, some of the "good job" and "great thoughts" etc. posts mean a lot more than people think. Same goes for the actual forum reviews, when you're in a long term testing its amazing what a couple people dropping some quick words of appreciation will do for ones motivation, its something that frankly a "thanks" just doesn't do IMO. But, I see both sides, I think there is a balance to it.

Fourth, as to the new people jumping in direction we kinda had going, I was there in a big way just a couple years ago. When I first came I felt overwhelmed and "outside the circle" if you will so I disappeared, then one day I said eff it and just jumped in on conversations. That's when I not only made life long friends but life long family in a lot of cases. Its a big leap and its harder for some than for others but if there is one thing I'm proud of its that in the last year with the new THP people are welcomed and when they truly jump in they are embraced. Its why we're unique form the others, I love that, no HS/teenage relentlessness here.

Just some thoughts from my crazy mind. Like I said, I respect the hell out of you posting that DDT, I really do dude.

"but it doesn't mean that people who have less posts aren't just as active". I agree with this.

I dont disagree, but some people are not coming to events, dont have the means to do any of that stuff. Or would like to and simply dont have the time to learn what they are, or come after selections are made. I saw it today actually as an example. It was an equipment thread. Someone came in and made a post. A relevant one and it was a good one. Completely skipped over as 3 other people bantered off topic right around it and the next thing you know, the page turned and there is no way that person did not feel left out.

That sh!t is going to stop. We are all for a good time, but when every thread turns into banter, ignoring and troll posts, its time for a change. Its not the norm obviously, but it is something that we as staff have to be cognizant of and make sure we are part of the solution and not part of the problem.

I couldn't agree anymore dude! Each member has value, each post holds value when used in a constructive way. Bantering will happen and it can be fun, but it can't be at the expense of others. I'm guilty of it from time to time too.. Trolling that's a totally different scenario....

I suppose I'll throw my thoughts in here too. It can definitely be over whelming as a newbie here. I joined in June 2012 and lurked for awhile. Looking back now I regret not jumping right in sooner. Still to this day I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intimidated to post as much as others because I still feel new here. But I attended my first THP event and everything changed. I legitimately became addicted to this place. I started posting more, A LOT more. Then I attended my second event, which I was grouped with JB and Deano, talk about pressure! But after about 2 mins I realized there was no reason to have any pressure. JB and Deano were both about as inviting and easy to talk to as anyone I've ever met. The more I'm posting here the more I realize the entire site is this way. This site has brought me friendships I've made that I never would have without it. Heck I'm willing to say I've met a guy here who has become my best friend. Yes certain threads can be over whelming to read, but after attending a few events I absolutely understand it.

I love that we can have this discussion. Says a lot about the type of people we have here

I love that we can have this discussion. Says a lot about the type of people we have here

I still think you are a doo doo head.. Haha

As to me, that's a lot easier said than done to a new guy. This place is like any other social environment. It has it's cliques. Some of the guys who have been here a while, some from the beginning, are both very open and not to open to new members. It's hard to explain without going into full blown banter mode or piss anyone off, but it took a long time for me to be able to have a legit discussion with guys and not have a post just get looked over. I'll admit I wasn't the most active member in the beginning but a lot of that was just avoiding trying to force myself into conversation. I guess until the regulars meet you in person it's hard for them to take you serious. And showing up to events and get togethers is sort of tough for a new member imo

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's nothing against anyone, it's easier to converse with people you know. I've written a post, then someone wrote the exact same post after me, and mine gets ignored while there's gets responded to and sparks a convo. Doesn't get to me, as I understand it, I try to then just stay in the convo if I can.

The OP has a point. I can leave a thread for an hour or two, and come back and there's 10 more pages of banter. It can make it tough at times. But I think it's all part of forums, it's going to happen. And everyone here is as respectful as you can find, which is awesome. You gotta just try to go with the flow and not let anything hold back your comments if you have something to say. Which obviously the OP did, which is great.

In time I think everyone will find their groove in this paradise. Too much great stuff going on and great people around to not happen.

Just another point I'd like to make. As a forum we look to the long standing members and staff to provide guidance and direction. I feel like the new THP's direction is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was 18 months ago. But we can and will do and be better I'm sure.

It is great seeing several newer THPers posting their thoughts and feeling comfortable doing so. Just shows me how many wonderful members we have that care about a place I love.

It feels kind of like a family airing things out doesn't it?

It feels kind of like a family airing things out doesn't it?

Haha sure does. But in a good way. There could be a lot of uneasy tension but there's not. In a way, I'm glad I got to say a few things I've been wanting to say for a while now

I think those that post and are only interested in free stuff and Morgan Cup are clearly apparent and as such don't reach the desired result. I think the community is very self regulating to reward those who are here for the community. Yes, there are some cliques but that's life. People gravitate to each other organically. I used to spend time on other sites and nothing is Ike THP. I would rather banter and have fun then worrying about tour only v2 heads and why x manufacturer doesn't open their tour van to an 18 handicapper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha sure does. But in a good way. There could be a lot of uneasy tension but there's not. In a way, I'm glad I got to say a few things I've been wanting to say for a while now

Oh I definitely meant it as in a good way.

See this I am not sure I agree with. And I hope you take more time and dive in. I think tons of conversations go on all the time. However I think one of the reasons we have a great community is because we have some awesome staff members that are always looking to chat, discuss and debate the game of golf. Just because it is a staff member, should not take away from the discussion. I think in many times it can add to it.

Jump in and join them. I think you will enjoy it.

Very well stated! This site is special and we need to keep it special.

I love you guys

OK, so, I have a couple thoughts.... (I hear people cringing, hahaha)

First, I love that DDT can post this without being flamed beyond belief. Yes, there is some, IMO, unnecessary sarcasm in here but it has remained pretty nice and civil with the exchange of thoughts. There was a time where that wouldn't have happened, but that is another thing all-together.

Second, I respect the hell out of you for posting this. To throw up your honest thoughts knowing it may not be popular is a big leap and kudos to you for that dude. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Third, I agree with parts of it. I do think that the one word responses are old and played out as they are the perfect candidates to be replaced with our kick ass "thanks" button (which is SOOOOOOO much better than the old Rep system). I will say this though, as a reviewer who spends most of his time in equipment threads and talking about the gear and having reviews go up, some of the "good job" and "great thoughts" etc. posts mean a lot more than people think. Same goes for the actual forum reviews, when you're in a long term testing its amazing what a couple people dropping some quick words of appreciation will do for ones motivation, its something that frankly a "thanks" just doesn't do IMO. But, I see both sides, I think there is a balance to it.

Fourth, as to the new people jumping in direction we kinda had going, I was there in a big way just a couple years ago. When I first came I felt overwhelmed and "outside the circle" if you will so I disappeared, then one day I said eff it and just jumped in on conversations. That's when I not only made life long friends but life long family in a lot of cases. Its a big leap and its harder for some than for others but if there is one thing I'm proud of its that in the last year with the new THP people are welcomed and when they truly jump in they are embraced. Its why we're unique form the others, I love that, no HS/teenage relentlessness here.

Just some thoughts from my crazy mind. Like I said, I respect the hell out of you posting that DDT, I really do dude.

I really have to agree with you here Jman, it is tough to sit down and pound out what you believe is a good post in a review thread and then have it overlooked. This is something where I have tried to utilize the thanks button just so the person knows that it is read and appreciated and then trying to come up with a question or a response to said post.

On the multiple banter posts in the announcement threads, it is really tough to show how impressed you are with THP with just a simple "thanks" there are some truly amazing things happening around here and sometimes you just have to post about it.

DDT man, I can't thank you enough for posting this thread. This is just another shining example of why this place is so great. I feel like this could be a sticky thread. Any new members, just send them here and they'll see what awesome people are on here. Kudos to you man for speaking your mind.

This also opens my eyes. As a newer member, whose only been posting since July. It makes me realize that with my post count I probably have posted a good amount of said useless posts. I try to post meaningful things, but I'll try from now on to do a better job of weeding out pointless posts.

With that said, to kind of touch a little on what Jman said. There are certain times where a simple "thanks" can not possibly convey how excited I am or how thankful I am for something. There's so many things on here that truly make me feel excitement like I'm a kid again. It's amazing to me to have something like that online, especially since I've met basically none of you.

Back