The "Getting to know you" thread

Since I'll be meeting some of you in October I guess I'll take part.

My name is Andy and I live in Brunswick Ohio about 15 miles southwest of Cleveland. I'm a 31 year old bartender and I love my job. I work nights and weekends to pay the bills which gives me weekdays and most mornings to enjoy my time on the course. I've been playing since I can remember but I took it up more seriously after high school. I had dreams of playing in college and going pro until I realized my body would never grow bigger than that of the average 12 year old. I'm 5'9" 140lbs and I look like I'm 18. I grew a beard a few years ago so high school girls would stop asking me to Prom. I get out 3-5 times a week and I usually play to around a 6 handicap which will never improve because I'm self taught and extremely stubborn. I live in a dry area for golf so I have to drive at least a half hour to get to a decent course. I have a Nissan Sentra which gets 30mpg so I don't break the bank driving all over northeast Ohio. I recently delved into clubmaking so I do all my own club work. It's a fun hobby and it gives me a chance to experiment with different equipment.

I played soccer and baseball as a kid and spent most of my junior high and high school years bmx riding, but golf is my one true passion. I'm to small for baseball, way to out of shape for soccer, and if I were to get on a bike again I'd probably crack my head open... so golf it is.

I live with my girlfriend Megan who I've been with for about 2 1/2 years. She's my best friend and is very understanding of my golf addiction, she even watches it with me sometimes. My only issue with her is that she misuses the word "shank" and refuses to understand it's true meaning... I guess I can let that slide though. We don't plan on having kids because we're both to selfish with our time. Instead we have a dog named Winston who is a cancer survivor. He was told as a puppy that he wouldn't make it a year and that was 8 years ago. He sheds more than any dog in the history of the world and he does this annoying chop licking thing, but he's my buddy and a great dog.

When I'm not on the course I spend my time watching movies and TV. Megan and I are big into Showtime and HBO shows like Game of Thrones, Dexter and Weeds. Right now we're in the middle of watching the entire "Rescue Me" series, start to finish. Since she often gets stuck watching golf tournaments, I find myself watching "The Real Housewives" or some other awful excuse for entertainment... it's only fair. I firmly believe that reality TV is destroying America. My favorite show is Top Gear UK, its cars and comedy in one package. I watch a couple episodes a day and I never get sick of it. The greatest movie ever made is "The Big Lebowski" which is not an opinion but a well known fact. I love stand up comedy and will quote George Carlin any chance I get. I'm a big music buff and will listen to anything from classic rock to metal. I grew up in the days of grunge rock so I'm a big fan of that scene, (STP, Pumpkins, Soundgarden, etc...) it was a time when mainstream music was original and every band had their own unique sound. My dad's big influence on me was bluegrass music. I often listen to some relaxing guitar picking melodies on the way to the course. The Beatles, of course, are the greatest band to ever roam the earth.

I play the drums and occasionally jam with some friends but nothing crazy. I do a little woodworking from time to time. I have a project that I am working on which is a 4x4 ft. model of a baseball stadium. I live a pretty boring life but I like it that way. Like I always say after a night of drinks... "Hey, I'm not 22 anymore".

That's about it. I enjoyed reading through this thread and learning a little about some other golf nuts. I look forward to meeting some of you in October. Until then, keep it in the short grass.

My name is Andy and I live in Brunswick Ohio about 15 miles southwest of Cleveland. I'm a 31 year old bartender and I love my job. I work nights and weekends to pay the bills which gives me weekdays and most mornings to enjoy my time on the course. I've been playing since I can remember but I took it up more seriously after high school. I had dreams of playing in college and going pro until I realized my body would never grow bigger than that of the average 12 year old. I'm 5'9" 140lbs and I look like I'm 18. I grew a beard a few years ago so high school girls would stop asking me to Prom. I get out 3-5 times a week and I usually play to around a 6 handicap which will never improve because I'm self taught and extremely stubborn. I live in a dry area for golf so I have to drive at least a half hour to get to a decent course. I have a Nissan Sentra which gets 30mpg so I don't break the bank driving all over northeast Ohio. I recently delved into clubmaking so I do all my own club work. It's a fun hobby and it gives me a chance to experiment with different equipment.

I played soccer and baseball as a kid and spent most of my junior high and high school years bmx riding, but golf is my one true passion. I'm to small for baseball, way to out of shape for soccer, and if I were to get on a bike again I'd probably crack my head open... so golf it is.

I live with my girlfriend Megan who I've been with for about 2 1/2 years. She's my best friend and is very understanding of my golf addiction, she even watches it with me sometimes. My only issue with her is that she misuses the word "shank" and refuses to understand it's true meaning... I guess I can let that slide though. We don't plan on having kids because we're both to selfish with our time. Instead we have a dog named Winston who is a cancer survivor. He was told as a puppy that he wouldn't make it a year and that was 8 years ago. He sheds more than any dog in the history of the world and he does this annoying chop licking thing, but he's my buddy and a great dog.

When I'm not on the course I spend my time watching movies and TV. Megan and I are big into Showtime and HBO shows like Game of Thrones, Dexter and Weeds. Right now we're in the middle of watching the entire "Rescue Me" series, start to finish. Since she often gets stuck watching golf tournaments, I find myself watching "The Real Housewives" or some other awful excuse for entertainment... it's only fair. I firmly believe that reality TV is destroying America. My favorite show is Top Gear UK, its cars and comedy in one package. I watch a couple episodes a day and I never get sick of it. The greatest movie ever made is "The Big Lebowski" which is not an opinion but a well known fact. I love stand up comedy and will quote George Carlin any chance I get. I'm a big music buff and will listen to anything from classic rock to metal. I grew up in the days of grunge rock so I'm a big fan of that scene, (STP, Pumpkins, Soundgarden, etc...) it was a time when mainstream music was original and every band had their own unique sound. My dad's big influence on me was bluegrass music. I often listen to some relaxing guitar picking melodies on the way to the course. The Beatles, of course, are the greatest band to ever roam the earth.

I play the drums and occasionally jam with some friends but nothing crazy. I do a little woodworking from time to time. I have a project that I am working on which is a 4x4 ft. model of a baseball stadium. I live a pretty boring life but I like it that way. Like I always say after a night of drinks... "Hey, I'm not 22 anymore".

That's about it. I enjoyed reading through this thread and learning a little about some other golf nuts. I look forward to meeting some of you in October. Until then, keep it in the short grass.

Thanks for sharing, Barspin89 from Brunswick! Up next, it's "Joe" from Elyria here on "Hackers Anonymous"... (just kidding! But this does remind me of Sleepless in Seattle or some other radio call-in show)

The "Getting to know you" thread

Barspin hope you can make it to Cbus too!

Barspin hope you can make it to Cbus too!

CBus will be tough. I'm going to the Presidents Cup and I have a vacation at the end of the month but I'll see what I can swing.

The greatest movie ever made is "The Big Lebowski" which is not an opinion but a well known fact.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. :)

And, yes, the Beatles rock!

My name is Andy and I live in Brunswick Ohio about 15 miles southwest of Cleveland. I'm a 31 year old bartender and I love my job. I work nights and weekends to pay the bills which gives me weekdays and most mornings to enjoy my time on the course. I've been playing since I can remember but I took it up more seriously after high school. I had dreams of playing in college and going pro until I realized my body would never grow bigger than that of the average 12 year old. I'm 5'9" 140lbs and I look like I'm 18. I grew a beard a few years ago so high school girls would stop asking me to Prom. I get out 3-5 times a week and I usually play to around a 6 handicap which will never improve because I'm self taught and extremely stubborn.

I know how you feel. I'm 15 years old, but only 5'4", 121lbs. and trying to make college golf. I have a fairly good short game, but am an incredibly short hitter. Still play to an 8.3 and only improving.

I know how you feel. I'm 15 years old, but only 5'4", 121lbs. and trying to make college golf. I have a fairly good short game, but am an incredibly short hitter. Still play to an 8.3 and only improving.

I didn't even know what playing to an 8.3 meant when i was 15. I'd say you're off to an OK start. Good luck on college golf.

8.3 is very solid for your age. You say you're an extremely short hitter, how short if you don't mind me asking? I'm not the longest hitter, but I'm certainly not the shortest. You don't have to be a monster to hit the ball long.

Don't know really where to start. I tend to observe for awhile to see if I can get a feel for my surroundings. I am an avid golfer having been around since about 1965 off and on. I am anxious to learn anything new about the game, but with the understanding that I have more than likely been exposed at one time or another to just about anything. Like a lot of folks, I can form my own opinion and more often than not, it may not agree with yours. That's alright, I respect everyone's right to their own and am not above learning something from it. Hopefully, from time to time, I will be able to contribute something that somebody may find helpful. I do try and keep an open mind.

That's about it for now.

Don't know really where to start. I tend to observe for awhile to see if I can get a feel for my surroundings. I am an avid golfer having been around since about 1965 off and on. I am anxious to learn anything new about the game, but with the understanding that I have more than likely been exposed at one time or another to just about anything. Like a lot of folks, I can form my own opinion and more often than not, it may not agree with yours. That's alright, I respect everyone's right to their own and am not above learning something from it. Hopefully, from time to time, I will be able to contribute something that somebody may find helpful. I do try and keep an open mind.

That's about it for now.

I've contributed very little to THP... but I keep coming back. Welcome

If anyone wants to add me on facebook, I am Shane Posey if you send a FR send me a message to let me know you are a THP'er please :)

White water in branson trip from monday, and yes I know I look like casper the ghost lol

This was me 5 years ago before I realized how important exercise and eating smart is. I keep this picture handy to remind myself that I am never going back to that!!!

Alot of new members around here so I wanted to give this thread a bump. Would love to learn a bit more about you guys and girls.

Bump again for the morning. Was up all night and didn't realize what time it was when I bumped it haha. Don't be shy.

Subscribed to this thread for its awesomeness, and to post a few things later on when I find my laptop.

I'll throw it out there. Name's David. I'm a 16 year vet of the Army. I've been deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I've been married for the last 4 years to my favorite Irish girl ever. I have a 10 year old girl who lives with her mom up in Rhode Island. The kid's a certifiable genius. While she was going to Catholic school in Philly with no science programs to speak of, she scored in the top 2 percent in the state in science.

My other loves in life are freediving and spearfishing. I've been down to 100 feet on a single breath of air. I'm one of the founders and a charter member of the Monterey Bay Tritons (http://montereybaytritons.com), who are still going strong in my absence. I'm getting all the education I need at the moment to become a certified freedive instructor, capable of teaching people to hold their breath for 3 minutes, 30 seconds, and diving to 66 feet on a single breath.

I think that's all the good stuff. See you guys out on the course!

Hi THP,
I've been around a while but don't post all that much, THP has been a great resource and I really appreciate the member reviews, advice, etc.
My name is Mark and I currently reside in Aurora, IL. I teach music history and theory at a small university. I've been a teacher for twenty years and have taught music in elementary , high school and college. I am a classically trained opera singer, though I don't do that much anymore, just the occasional musical and yearly faculty recital.
I've got a fantastic wife who works in the dental industry, two kids (a girl 7, and a boy, 5). Both kids are just getting into golf. And I bought my wife a set of clubs at a charity auction recently hoping she'd give it a try.
I grew up on a small farm in Iowa and I started playing golf at around 10, my dad's office was next to the local 9 hole "country" club. Took lessons from the pro for several summers and played lots all through high school. Even got the nickname "Palmer". I went to college at South Dakota State University, then taught public school in South Dakota. From there I went on to Grad schools in Chicago and Colorado. I put golf away as I had no money or time. I taught at a university in Wisconsin for nine years before moving to Aurora. We bought a house on a great muni and my interest in golf was rekindled. I've been back at it four years and love it.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. There is a member Canio that I believe is an opera singer as well. That is pretty cool.

In light of a recent thread I'm going to post here cuz I don't think I have.
Been playing golf for more than half my life. Played soccer from pre-school through college. I'm a foodie, they call me panda and I love my family. I'm loyal to a fault but that's me.
I like to talk sh!t but find very few like it as much as I do. I'm a student and teacher of the game of golf.

Been playing golf for more than half my life. Played soccer from pre-school through college. I'm a foodie, they call me panda and I love my family. I'm loyal to a fault but that's me.
I like to talk sh!t but find very few like it as much as I do. I'm a student and teacher of the game of golf.

Haha we are sh!t talking soulmates. Thanks for sharing Freddie.

For any new members go back through this thread. Alot of really awesome people are a part of this community.

Swing effin guru and a great freaking human being. The word would be a much better place if it was full of more pandas

You forgot to say that you would give the shirt off of your back to anyone that needed help, you are that good of a guy.

Since its a new week, I wanted to give this thread another bump. Lets here from some of the new guys and even some of the older members that havent shared in here yet.

Back