Anyone change the shafts out in their i20s?

Nixhex524

Reaction score
I have only played the i20s for a few rounds and I just added some lead tape to the heads but with these CFS shafts, these clubs are just too light for me. I'm going to game them one more time before I reshaft or sell them, but I just wanted to know what any of you have used in place of the stock shafts... I love the technology and design behind them, I just think adding a little more weight may help. Thanks for any advice!

I have only played the i20s for a few rounds and I just added some lead tape to the heads but with these CFS shafts, these clubs are just too light for me. I'm going to game them one more time before I reshaft or sell them, but I just wanted to know what any of you have used in place of the stock shafts... I love the technology and design behind them, I just think adding a little more weight may help. Thanks for any advice!
Hi. The CFS shaft is about a 100 gram shaft and swing weights out at D0 spec. If adding lead tape made them feel better but still to light, I might recommend a true temper DG SL shaft. It will be about 15 grams heavier and will build out naturally to swing weight heavier. About D3. The ball flights will be similar.

You can send the back to ping and they can make them play any swing weight you want. I'm playing mine at D2.5, W&U at D4 and S at D5.

Hi. The CFS shaft is about a 100 gram shaft and swing weights out at D0 spec. If adding lead tape made them feel better but still to light, I might recommend a true temper DG SL shaft. It will be about 15 grams heavier and will build out naturally to swing weight heavier. About D3. The ball flights will be similar.

I have been a fan of the DG S300, they have never let me down. Also thinking about a set of PX 5.5s. Will heavier shafts then offset the weight of the head? Sorry, I am no expert with swing weights, but I would hate to reshaft only to have the head feel like it isn't even there. I haven't hit them with the lead tape yet, I am hoping to get out to the range this morning to see if I notice a difference, then game them on Monday. Thanks for your input, I guess I need to experiment a bit.

You can send the back to ping and they can make them play any swing weight you want. I'm playing mine at D2.5, W&U at D4 and S at D5.

Hmmm, interesting... I did not know this.. I will look into it. Thanks!

PM Jman, he swapped shafts in his i20s

This.

A simple shaft swap won't necessarily remedy the swing weight to where you want it because they are a touch lighter head.

That said, my set is at D3 from PING, they can change out the tuning ports and hit the SW's you want, well worth it IMO as the CFS's are really very solid shafts performance wise.

This.

A simple shaft swap won't necessarily remedy the swing weight to where you want it because they are a touch lighter head.

That said, my set is at D3 from PING, they can change out the tuning ports and hit the SW's you want, well worth it IMO as the CFS's are really very solid shafts performance wise.

Yeah, besides them being super light shafts, I don't have any complaints about their performance. I am used to D3 SW so that's probably what I would aim for as well. PM coming your way...

I have been a fan of the DG S300, they have never let me down. Also thinking about a set of PX 5.5s. Will heavier shafts then offset the weight of the head? Sorry, I am no expert with swing weights, but I would hate to reshaft only to have the head feel like it isn't even there. I haven't hit them with the lead tape yet, I am hoping to get out to the range this morning to see if I notice a difference, then game them on Monday. Thanks for your input, I guess I need to experiment a bit.
The shaft technology is so advanced now. The total weight of shafts and balance points allow for almost anything.
Your CFS shaft just happens to be butt heavy. A DG shaft happens to be tip heavy. A KBS maybe 50/50 balance.
The swing weights when built, will be about 4 point different.
How consistent was your ball striking before the PINGs?
add lead tape to head, gradually, until you develop a push/fade shot. When this happens, remove a little bit of tape at a time until your shot straightens out.
When you finish this, then you will know if the club still feels to light.
If it feel to light then a reshaft may be the answer.

In my set I changed the shafts. I went lighter actually.

The shaft technology is so advanced now. The total weight of shafts and balance points allow for almost anything.
Your CFS shaft just happens to be butt heavy. A DG shaft happens to be tip heavy. A KBS maybe 50/50 balance.
The swing weights when built, will be about 4 point different.
How consistent was your ball striking before the PINGs?
add lead tape to head, gradually, until you develop a push/fade shot. When this happens, remove a little bit of tape at a time until your shot straightens out.
When you finish this, then you will know if the club still feels to light.
If it feel to light then a reshaft may be the answer.

I was hitting the ball in the sweet spot more than I am now, even with an older set of Titleist blades... I will contact Ping and see what is involved $$ wise of them to play with them or for me to reshaft them. Gonna take them out today and see how they do with a little added headweight.

In my set I changed the shafts. I went lighter actually.

Man, I can't imagine.

I go with what the numbers show me. Lighter shafts give me better numbers, feel better and make me less tired. It wont be the same for everybody, but it is for me.

If a shaft is a concern, why not just get a fitting?

This.

Hi. Are you saying the head weight of the Ping i20 6 iron is not 262 grams +/- 1 grams?
The head weight on my bench is a new ping i20 cleaned and prepped weighs 262.7 grams.
262 grams is standard for all manufacturers for a 6 iron head weight unless it is a child specific club. A junior club head is about 20 grams lighter.

The CFS shafts are the only good part of the I20's heh.

I'm not sure it is just a shaft concern. I'm not sure I like the overall feel of the irons. I have been playing forged clubs for a while now and while the i20s feel soft for a cast club, it is a noticeable difference for me. Combine that with being lighter, and I do not know how much time and money I'm willing to put into them. Going to go give them a a few swings now...

Much better results with the lead tape on these today. Going to add a tad more but I am very happy.

Back